USMNT 2018 - whose minding the net? | The Boneyard

USMNT 2018 - whose minding the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
GK- It's Guzan's spot to lose today, but whose coming up to challenge?

Bill Hamid - DC United, 24 years old. Only 1 CAP to date
Sean Johnson - Chicago Fire, 25 years old. 4 Caps, playing in the '13 Gold Cup. He trained I. England as well, so could see a transfer to Europe at some point.
Cody Cropper - Southampton, US U20 keeper. 20 year old who is began getting some playing time in the Premiere League last season.

The one position you never really need to worry about for the USMNT is goal keeper. Now we need to develop better finishers up front.

Reaction Score
Guzan and then who knows. I assume one of the kids will step up, no idea which one, and do not trust any at this point.

Don't think Cropper has played a minute of first team football as of yet, though Southampton seems intent on selling their entire roster so who knows what this year will bring about.

Reaction Score
Guzan and then who knows. I assume one of the kids will step up, no idea which one, and do not trust any at this point.

Don't think Cropper has played a minute of first team football as of yet, though Southampton seems intent on selling their entire roster so who knows what this year will bring about.
True, Cropper maybe subbed in once or twice last season, but nothing too meaningful. To your point, with the fire sale at Southampton, maybe he will get more time (or be loaned out). Not sure how much they use him when their U21 side plays agaisnt other clubs in England. Would prefer to have him loaned out to a side where he's actually playing meaningful minutes.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Best placed European based keeper will get the nod. I'd be concerned if none of them beyond Guzan is playing first team within a couple years.

Even if they are not, the diversity of US sports culture guarantees a minimum level of competence at the position.

As an aside, Rory McElroy throws like a girl.

Reaction Score
Four years is a long time.

I really just can't wait to see what a team with Yedlin, Green and hopefully Zelalem can do. I really hope JK can lock Z up, because from what I saw from him in the 45 minutes he played for Arsenal, he would definitely bring something to the table that we don't have.

Reaction Score
Four years is a long time.

I really just can't wait to see what a team with Yedlin, Green and hopefully Zelalem can do. I really hope JK can lock Z up, because from what I saw from him in the 45 minutes he played for Arsenal, he would definitely bring something to the table that we don't have.
I am cautiously optimistic he declares for Team America...F' Ya! Klinsman is building something here, and if he is sitll around through 2022 (especially if that WC is moved to the US), I am very confident we will be fielding a VERY strong side.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
and hopefully Zelalem can do. I really hope JK can lock Z up, because from what I saw from him in the 45 minutes he played for Arsenal, he would definitely bring something to the table that we don't have.
And he didn't really play very well on Sat. I've seen him do much better. Wenger had him on that right wing and that's definitely not his position. He's much better in the middle of the field, opening up defenses with passes.

Reaction Score
And he didn't really play very well on Sat. I've seen him do much better. Wenger had him on that right wing and that's definitely not his position. He's much better in the middle of the field, opening up defenses with passes.

What kind of player is he exactly? It looked like he had a ton of poise over the ball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What kind of player is he exactly? It looked like he had a ton of poise over the ball.
Kinda like Fabregas. Good on the ball, good vision, great passing, not really defensive minded, not overly quick/fast.

Reaction Score

I saw him in Hoboken on Friday working at a kids’ soccer clinic at Sinatra Park. The thought did cross my mind to go over to him with official papers declaring his intent to play for the USMNT or, alternatively if he did not sign, a pair of cement boots for him to wear on a brief; but memorable swim in the Hudson. After all, it’s Jersey!

Reaction Score
It’s Guzan’s spot to lose; but, except Klinsmann to give Hamid, Johnson, Cropper, etc. looks and if one catches fire and swings a deal to the EPL (or Bundesliga) for a few years before the Cup, it would be an open competition, which is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom