USF - Somebody had to post this...... | The Boneyard

USF - Somebody had to post this......

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good game by USF after a terrible start - looked like they were going to get blown out and they made it a very tight game to the whistle.

(I think UCLA is a better team than #2 seed ASU)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good game by USF after a terrible start - looked like they were going to get blown out and they made it a very tight game to the whistle.

(I think UCLA is a better team than #2 seed ASU)
I agree. Tenn was given a gift with their 2 seed. ASU - no idea how they won so many games, but a bunch of slow players is just what the Dr. ordered for Tenn. Anyway on USF...

One of the announcers (Rebecca I think?) said that it can be disastrous for a team who only relies on 1 player if that player struggles. Clearly that was USF's problem in the 1st half. Not at all in the 2nd half. I'd like to see how Fernandez coaches next year without a star. I hope he plays more team ball. USF's play book is an alarming amount of the "Courtney Williams" show.

Reaction Score
Don't know why there is this fear of playing USF when we have beaten them a zillion times and never lost to them. Not one single game was within single digit. There are a lot more teams out there still that could give us a better fight.

HGN

Reaction Score
....so I did.
I feel sorry for our AAC rivals, but glad we don't have to play them for yet another time this year.
We'll easily rollover the survivor.
Sonny , I am too sorry to see USF get eliminated. But I am glad that the Huskies will not have to play them again. I am also not so sure how easily the survivor will be rolled over.
But I'm hoping you are right.

Reaction Score
I think the fear of FSU is residual of the fact that, by far, they are the most competitive team in our conference and we play them 3 times. Figure that if the third time isn't "the charm", maybe the fourth time is. But right: not inherently more to be feared than other teams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't know why there is this fear of playing USF when we have beaten them a zillion times and never lost to them. Not one single game was within single digit. There are a lot more teams out there still that could give us a better fight.
It is the 4th game in a year syndrome - see Uconn/Rutgers, Uconn/ND, and Baylor/TAMU as to why it is a concern to many people.

Reaction Score
Don't know if it's so much "fear" of playing them, as it is "tired" of playing them. 3 times in one season is enough.
Correct, I meant not an ounce of fear in the OP. Sorry some saw it that way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't know if it's so much "fear" of playing them, as it is "tired" of playing them. 3 times in one season is enough.
I'd call it respect. They are a good team who are used to the shock and awe that normally occur when you play Connecticut. That makes them dangerous.

Congrats to USF on a good season.

mr006

Reaction Score

Could've said the same thing 16 years ago about Notre Dame. ND has since won 33% of their games against us....

Reaction Score
Could've said the same thing 16 years ago about Notre Dame. ND has since won 33% of their games against us....

Sounds good. Then the players who will play for USF on the team that will beat us are still in kindergarten. Can't wait.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree. Tenn was given a gift with their 2 seed. ASU - no idea how they won so many games, but a bunch of slow players is just what the Dr. ordered for Tenn. Anyway on USF...

One of the announcers (Rebecca I think?) said that it can be disastrous for a team who only relies on 1 player if that player struggles. Clearly that was USF's problem in the 1st half. Not at all in the 2nd half. I'd like to see how Fernandez coaches next year without a star. I hope he plays more team ball. USF's play book is an alarming amount of the "Courtney Williams" show.
For teams that have unbalanced talent, it ultimately becomes focused on whoever the star is. And Jose has always had some good ones, I can't remember the name of the one that Cappie had a couple of epic battles against back in the day.

You can still play "team ball" of course, but it isn't reflected in across the board balanced scoring. Sometimes the team ball is focused on setting up the star! It is still team ball.

As to ASU, they are almost always a good defensive team, holding the other team below their average; at times historically I think they have been challenged to score enough to win, something that has troubled Rutgers as well over the years. I would have liked to have seen that game, but I only saw bits, I made a mistake and recorded the standard definition version of the game.

By the way - I'll just say it here - kudos to ESPN for making every game available in its entirety for free to subscribers of DirecTV. Truly enjoyed watching the games I wanted to, not what they chose to show on "whip-around".

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Not sure, shy of the final-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak