USF Pre-Game Videos | The Boneyard

USF Pre-Game Videos

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I get that Geno needs to keep spirits up but it is so strange to my ears to 'effectively' compare shooting to the randomness of rolling dice.

Reaction Score
Geno thinks Lou getting trade is a good trade and comments on the back court being Mo, Lou, and Ogunbowale.

Reaction Score
I get that Geno needs to keep spirits up but it is so strange to my ears to 'effectively' compare shooting to the randomness of rolling dice.
I totally agree with this. One of my frustrations this year has been listening to Geno cede so much ground on basics like layups and shot making as apparently beyond the ability of the coaching staff to affect.

For example, can they not run layup drills in practice until it becomes more of an act of muscle memory for the players? Can they not insist that everyone practice free throws until she averages at least 75% from the line? Can they not work on shooting technique with some of the players who are struggling? Can they not gear the offense towards trying to obtain fewer contested shots?

These are just a few possible areas of focus off the top of my head. Sure, these may be somewhat more remedial in nature than what Geno and his staff are used to working on. And heck, maybe they are doing some of these things already. Because based on my eye test, it's what this relatively young team needs. You have to walk before you can run.

Last edited:

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I've speculated that Jasmine Lister, with her background with DePaul & Oregon, could have coached shooting, & wondered if her long absence might have had a negative effect on development there. Don't really know who the go-to coach on shooting form is at UConn, though.

Reaction Score
I totally agree with this. One of my frustrations this year has been listening to Geno cede so much ground on basics like layups and shot making as apparently beyond the ability of the coaching staff to affect.

For example, can they not run layup drills in practice until it becomes more of an act of muscle memory for the players? Can they not insist that everyone practice free throws until she averages at least 75% from the line? Can they not work on shooting technique with some of the players who are struggling? Can they not gear the offense towards trying to obtain fewer contested shots?

These are just a few possible areas of focus off the top of my head. Sure, these may be somewhat more remedial in nature than what Geno and his staff are used to working on. And heck, maybe they are doing some of these things already. Because based on my eye test, it's what this relatively young team needs. You have to walk before you can run.
Free throw shooting is something that can be perfected outside practice. Same goes for three point shooting. NBA players, once proper form is learned, do FTs and threes on their own, hundreds a day. Lay-ups are a little different because they are often contested. Aubrey, for example, probably didn’t have many contested layups in high school and is unprepared for defensive moves against her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I was not thinking of mechanical issues with form but mental aspects such as competitive confidence and shot selection.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've speculated that Jasmine Lister, with her background with DePaul & Oregon, could have coached shooting, & wondered if her long absence might have had a negative effect on development there. Don't really know who the go-to coach on shooting form is at UConn, though.
Jas was at DePaul and Washington (with Plum).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom