USF postgame | Page 8 | The Boneyard

USF postgame

Reaction Score
So they were mockups of Big Boy and Fat Man. Right?
They were the "shapes" i.e. they were the actual bombs with no guts or nuclear parts inside--the Scientist there were not idiots, they understood the issues with assembled bombs. They didn't want to hear---ooop it just activated! I never worked with a better more dedicated group than those.

Reaction Score
Geno has to have an ace or two up his sleeve he’s waiting to play. There is no way he can be satisfied with going into next season only bringing in one player. I guess we’ll find out by the end of the regular signing period in May. Who ever he brings in must be able to come in and help day one. A 5th year senior would seem to be the answer to his dilemma.
I think you are right. I have said this for a while. Geno tends to have a large number of hats that contain rabbits. 5th year seniors have not worked out for Geno, that would probably be his last choice. Not enough time to teach the Geno system.
Geno has basically 2 choices (one is not actually up to him) 1. Get a foreign player with experience and talent or 2. Accept the unacceptable because he too is a prisoner of the system and circumstances.
Note: I have a feeling Jose whispered into Geno's ear, in the shake hands line (I saw it) the names of 3 European bigs .

Reaction Score
I'll start it off with a few thoughts on tonight's game.

- Ugly game, but a win is a win is a win.
- Liv & Mikayla both came up big on defense in the 2nd half
- #1 Baylor had a similar game at unranked WV tonight
- The AAC tournament is not going to be just another coronation for UConn. They are going to have to work next weekend at the Mohegan Sun
- Lou needs to get well in a hurry
Does anyone have knowledge of what type of TV coverage the lady huskies will have during the AAC tournament? Will SNY cover? or ESPN2? Finals only?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does anyone have knowledge of what type of TV coverage the lady huskies will have during the AAC tournament? Will SNY cover? or ESPN2? Finals only?
The first two rounds are on ESPN3. The semifinals & finals are on ESPN2 & ESPNU.

Reaction Score
Next SNY coverage will be in November. They are done for the year. It'll be ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU or online at ESPN3 at least for some of the AAC tourney games. NCAA tourney games should all be on TV. If you live in Connecticut you will get to see the whole thing, otherwise you may get stuck with whiparound coverage.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes tonight was Senior Night for USF - injured superstars Laura Ferreira and Kitija Laksa were honored .. if Ferreira[Portugal] & Laksa[Latvia] had played this season, USF would have been a major force, Top-20 at least .. there are 8 international players on the USF roster; Enna Pehadzic[Denmark] led them in scoring [15] last night .. Laksa is available as a graduate transfer next year; it would be a great fit for the Huskies, eh?
Some have suggested that Jose might facilitate Laksa playing as a graduate transfer at UConn next year, in an analogous way to what Doug Bruno did for Jasmine Lister as an assistant coach.

I don't think the situations are comparable. Jose has a duty to make his team the best they can be next year, and it is inconsistent with that duty to facilitate a key player transferring to a conference rival. If that happens, it would have to be between Laksa herself and Geno, without Jose playing any role at all -- even to the extent of providing contact information or informing Laksa that Geno is interested (if in fact he is).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some have suggested that Jose might facilitate Laksa playing as a graduate transfer at UConn next year, in an analogous way to what Doug Bruno did for Jasmine Lister as an assistant coach.

I don't think the situations are comparable. Jose has a duty to make his team the best they can be next year, and it is inconsistent with that duty to facilitate a key player transferring to a conference rival. If that happens, it would have to be between Laksa herself and Geno, without Jose playing any role at all -- even to the extent of providing contact information or informing Laksa that Geno is interested (if in fact he is).
I'm sure that Jose wants to keep her, if Kitija decides not to enter the draft, but if she tells Jose she's going to either UConn or the W, he would try to accommodate her. Kitija is a great shooter--96%+ on FTs last season--but I'm not sure if she will fit in the UConn system. But if she comes to UConn and gets open looks, the NCAA season record for made 3-pointers will be in jeopardy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I spent sometime in the Labs at Los Alamos. Drove from Colorado at night. As I ascended the hill I noticed my high beam were showing nothing. No guard rails either. Next AMI drove back and looked at the road from the cliff I don't know 500ft maybe more down and down. My spouse made friends with one of the scientist while in New Oreleans and was shown around Santa fe and environs. Big boy, Fat Man were parked outside. It was late August and cars in the parking lot had 6 or more inches of snow on them.
Friendly edit: It had to have been early August for Big Boy and Fat Man to be outside.
No because before I left it was September About 1967 give or take. U of Cal was running the Lab then. I think I have those pix somewhere I'll ask the spouse, she has everything categorized in her brain.
She showed Dr Zelesney's spouse around New Orlean and was requested to have her join me in Los Aamos.
No snow in Los Alamos then only the cars from the mountains within driving distance. In the Navy when loading the "shape" on alir craft on the carrier Marines with curtains surrounded the Aircraft while it was being attached.
500 miles from no where.
So they were mockups of Big Boy and Fat Man. Right?
They were the "shapes" i.e. they were the actual bombs with no guts or nuclear parts inside--the Scientist there were not idiots, they understood the issues with assembled bombs. They didn't want to hear---ooop it just activated! I never worked with a better more dedicated group than those.
I assume you guys are talking about "Fat Man" (Nagasaki) and "Little Boy" (Hiroshima). Don't ever recall a "Big Boy".

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
“Wide right”, two words that create more discomfort in Buffalo then either “lake effect” or “white out” in wintertime.

Also "No goal!" in reference to the disallowed goal in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Reaction Score
I think if we were in a P5 league and having to play Louisville, ND, Miss St, Baylor, etc. two or three times every season there would be more losses. We already know this based on our experience with ND in our league, and that's when we had Maya. An off night like last night or against Cincinnati or Tulane most likely results in a loss in a P5 conference where the teams are a bit more talented. Five additional losses probably not, at least not this year, but an extra 2-4 isn't crazy.

That's some conference that has Louisville, ND, Baylor and Miss St! Of course, we did play the first three of those this year.

Reaction Score
I assume you guys are talking about "Fat Man" (Nagasaki) and "Little Boy" (Hiroshima). Don't ever recall a "Big Boy".
Neither of these were used or intended to be used on either of those cites. Much like practice bombs but never used. You are correct in the correction of Fat Man. The Fat man "shape" was used in practice "lob Bombing" by my squadron. Our exec. Pulled up, lobbed the bomb, rolled over on his back (per instructions) and never pulled out.

Reaction Score
Two losses, which is 2-4 less than the "2-4 more" you cited.
What would happen if we were in the ACC and stuck playing both ND and Louisville 4-5 times every season? Do we go 5-0 or would it be more like 2-3 or 3-2? We know how things turned out the last time we were stuck playing ND 3-4 times a season.

Reaction Score
Yep, we won the national championship!
Yeah that only took us getting one of maybe the greatest basketball talents ever just to start beating them again after going 1-7 in the space of three seasons. Stewie's not walking through that door anytime soon.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UConn has only 2 losses this season and ONLY 3 other teams in WBB have a better or equal record in losses. But we have all these DOOM or GLOOM people on this board that think that the WORLD is going to end because our young ladies LOST 2 games. If UConn does or doesn't win a NC this year I will be proud of them for what they have accomplished and I WILL follow them again next year if GOD's willing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UPDATE March 5 - Tracking Samuelson & Collier as they try to pass #3 Tina Charles (2346) on the UConn career scoring list.

They began the season with: Lou 1712 points / Phee 1609 (per the 2018-2019 UConn media guide - page 70)

They began the day with: Lou 2248 TCP - Phee 2169 TCP (total career points).

They are currently ranked #4 (Lou) and #5 (Pheesa) on the career scoring list through the Houston game.

Saturday - Lou scored 11 pts + 2248 = 2259 Lou needs 88 pts to surpass Charles.
Saturday - Pheesa scored 29 pts +2169 = 2198 Phee needs 149.

Monday - Lou DNP remains at 2259 pts. Needs 88 pts needed to pass Charles.
Monday - Collier +16 points. 16+2198 = 2214. 133 pts needed to pass Charles.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Is that duty greater than the duty to provide the best opportunity he can to his players?

I think you’re right in saying that facilitate might be a little much, but I think someone as level-headed at Jose realizes that a great fifth year at UConn likely does more for her draft stock than a great fifth year at USF.

And all of this is moot if she knows she’s moving on...

ETA: FWIW, I don’t think she’s coming to UConn; I think if we take any grad transfers, it’ll be a post. I just think she’ll have Jose’s blessing if she decides to head to Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Actually the subject was the weather not the shapes. it was about visiting the site late summer with snow on vehicles. The shapes had no names. The ones you alluded to at the end of WW 2 and used, did have those names. These were not used in WW2 or any war, they are ONLY shapes. Put any name on them you may choose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom