USF Postgame quotes | The Boneyard

USF Postgame quotes

Reaction Score
kdO9Jp.png

Reaction Score

Im starting to like Vital more and more. He shows that he has that attitude and wants to win, but im not so sure about some of the other guys, and I think thats what CV is getting at with his quote.

We need more players that have that attitude. We need players that all the other fans love to hate. That last time we had a player like that was Boatright. After he graduated, it just seems like we just never had a true leader with that killer instinct who hates to lose and wants to win.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No. He had 37% of our points while not even looking interested.
I think he’s interested. But the fire of a leader and maybe knowing how to lead isn’t there. He’s got skills but there is that missing piece. He is what he is.

But the lack of a physical front line is the fatal problem. And Wilson has all kinds of athleticism, unfortunately on a UConn frame, and a little bit too much playground still there.

Is Diarra going to be able to play?

Reaction Score
I think he’s interested. But the fire of a leader and maybe knowing how to lead isn’t there. He’s got skills but there is that missing piece. He is what he is.

But the lack of a physical front line is the fatal problem. And Wilson has all kinds of athleticism, unfortunately on a UConn frame, and a little bit too much playground still there.

Is Diarra going to be able to play?
Not until February at the earliest. Don’t expect him in other words. Big loss this year for sure.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Im starting to like Vital more and more. He shows that he has that attitude and wants to win, but im not so sure about some of the other guys, and I think thats what CV is getting at with his quote.

We need more players that have that attitude. We need players that all the other fans love to hate. That last time we had a player like that was Boatright. After he graduated, it just seems like we just never had a true leader with that killer instinct who hates to lose and wants to win.
I liked Vital since day one. Of course the freshman mistakes, but would always pull through with great energy and good plays. Somebody gave him great suggestions when he was testing the NBA waters.

Reaction Score
Well if we're going to lose anyway with him halfin it. You might as well bench him
Last night as Adams went, the team went. In the first 15-18 minutes he was very good. But when it starts going downhill, instead of rallying the team like a leader, his body language changes, his intensity lags, and he plays head down hero ball or just floats on the perimeter. Given his seniority and (flashes of ) talent, he is the defacto leader of the team on the floor, but is failing at that job.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No he was our best player the first 15 minutes of the first half.

So 3/4 of the first half? We need to stop with the ridiculous hot takes about how this player or that player "sucks" and needs to be benched. They all need to be better.

The team did a lot of things right in that first 15 minutes. They did a lot of things wrong after that, especially with a let up on defensive effort and especially rebounding. And while I saw some one on three offensive action, what I mostly saw were guys making an effort to move the ball and move without the ball, getting good looks and missing all of them. It was a horrendous shooting night. Those misses lead to USF boards due to our lack of size, strength and will...and they converted them into points on the other end.

There was no great defensive effort by USF, there was no inability for UConn to get shooters open, they just missed everything. All the outside shots, many, many layups and midrange stuff too. If even a reasonable percentage of those shots fall, our defense would be more effective, and we win this game going away. In short it would look like the first 15 minutes. Our lack of size and physicality inside means that when the outside shots won't go in, we can only score by guards attacking the rim. Against a long, strong, physically imposing front court like USF's, that was never going to work.

Reaction Score

It's obvious that Hurley can't wait to get his own guys in here (and no, I don't mean grad transfer stop-gaps and Brendan Adams).

Vital might be the only holdover with the attitude he's looking for.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is probably the most level headed and accurate post loss thread ever. Everyone seems.to know what the problem is. They just seem to forget at halftime.

I do think a less than focused atmosphere still exists off the court and they revert to it on the court when things get tough.

In the 2011 title game the first half was incredibly frustrating on offense but that team didn't lose control on defense and in the second half they found the sideline ball screen set that worked and pounded it over and over again until the clock hit zero.

This team would get bored running the same effective set over and over. They would start to freelance and get beat. I think that is 50% of the problem. The other 50% is lack of sustained commitment on defense whether it be loss of stamina or focus because we have seen them defend in spots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom