USF game | The Boneyard

USF game

Status
Not open for further replies.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
As a USF fan, I've always enjoyed our FB games. More often than not, the winning team won by a TD or less.

Therefore, I was surprised to see that the current Vegas line has USF a 17 point favorite.

Sports Betting News and Vegas Odds

You are coming off a very nice win against Cincy.

USF, struggled against ECU. They had a chance to tie the game at 24 with a two point conversion in the 4th quarter, but thankfully didn't. We ended up scoring a couple of late TD's. So the final score, 38-22, was not really indicative of how close it was.

We had an inordinate number of penalties, which stopped us in our tracks many times throughout the game.

So, I'm thrilled that we won, but it was a pretty sloppy effort on our part.

If you are coming to the game, I hope your stay is enjoyable.

Good luck the rest of your season.

Reaction Score
You're being kind. USF has scored a ton of points this year. Although we've had some hard-nosed games in the past, this looks like the second-toughest game on our season schedule (Houston was the first). Unless UConn plays like it did yesterday, the USF offense will be tough to contain.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Our games are always tight...I think that opening number is a bit high. Not saying we will win the game, I just think this game will follow the lead of all other USF/UConn games - close.

Aside: you guys look very good this year. You could see the momentum building last year, especially towards the end of the year. Should be fun to watch!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I found this site which lets you compare historical records against any opponent.

This is our comparison.

Winsipedia - Connecticut Huskies vs. South Florida Bulls football series history games list

The USF offense has dramatically improved, since our coach changed from the pro style offense which he unsuccessfully tried to run when he was hired.

However, our defense this year is really not that good. We are allowing massive yardage to almost every opponent. Thankfully, it hasn't always ended up costing us TD's and games, other than against FSU.

We lost our DC from last season and the new guy hasn't yet been able to come near to matching his results.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I found this site which lets you compare historical records against any opponent.

This is our comparison.

Winsipedia - Connecticut Huskies vs. South Florida Bulls football series history games list

The USF offense has dramatically improved, since our coach changed from the pro style offense which he unsuccessfully tried to run when he was hired.

However, our defense this year is really not that good. We are allowing massive yardage to almost every opponent. Thankfully, it hasn't always ended up costing us TD's and games, other than against FSU.

We lost our DC from last season and the new guy hasn't yet been able to come near to matching his results.

All but 2 games in our 13 game history have been decided by 1 score.

Aside: I didn't realize you guys are on a 4-game winning streak against us.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
All but 2 games in our 13 game history have been decided by 1 score.

Aside: I didn't realize you guys are on a 4-game winning streak against us.

Before that, you had won three straight. Your FG kicker should have been named MVP in all of those games.

Lots of nail biting games.

Thats why I had to roll my eyes, when UCF was named a "rival" by your coach. I presume he hadn't compared our FB records against UCONN.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Pretty amazing there hasn't been a double-digit win in this series since 2006. UConn and USF have had some tough battles.

Like we said last year, THIS should have been our trophy game instead of UCF.

GMTA

Yes, I remember that thread.

I posted similar thoughts, before seeing your post just now. LOL

Dooley

Reaction Score
Completely agree. I definitely consider USF to being far more of a rival than UCF ever will be. Our history agrees too - all close games and several of them coming down to the final play of the game!

Reaction Score
Thats why I had to roll my eyes, when UCF was named a "rival" by your coach. I presume he hadn't compared our FB records against UCONN.

Agreed. Thinking since he didn't arrive until 2014 and beat UCF his 1st season here, that's why he chose them.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Agreed. Thinking since he didn't arrive until 2014 and beat UCF his 1st season here, that's why he chose them.

That was my hunch.

The funny thing is that now USF and UCF have officially agreed to become "rivals" and award the: War on I-4 Trophy.

It's a "multiple" sports award.

But, there will be a separate trophy awarded to the winner of our annual TG game.

"The winner of the annual Thanksgiving weekend football game wins a separate, similarly-shaped "War On I-4" trophy."

See article below.

Bulls, Knights recognize "War on I-4"

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
@USFMB , do you know what happened between Taggart and ECU at the end of the game on Saturday? Taggart looked to run up the score with 30 seconds left, and the announcers said, "something happened between them...watch out for the handshake!" Just curious if anything was talked about in the post-game...

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
@USFMB , do you know what happened between Taggart and ECU at the end of the game on Saturday? Taggart looked to run up the score with 30 seconds left, and the announcers said, "something happened between them...watch out for the handshake!" Just curious if anything was talked about in the post-game...

Personally, I don't know.

IMO, It was atypical of our coach, based on witnessing his practice of NOT running up the score in similar situations in other games.

However, there is rampant speculation in a 14 page thread on the USF message Board, TheBullsPen.

Here is a link to that, if you are interested.

Going for the last second touchdown

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Thanks.

I most often post on your WBB board. I don't think it is necessary to do a historical comparison of team wins and losses in that sport. Head bang
I only casually follow WBB but from what I've seen USF is a couple years away from being really scary.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

IMO, It was atypical of our coach, based on witnessing his practice of NOT running up the score in similar situations in other games.

However, there is rampant speculation in a 14 page thread on the USF message Board, TheBullsPen.

Based on the coach's tweet, it seems like there may have been leftover feelings from previous years' losses, although I think the ECU coach is new. Weird...

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Hey @USFMB any word on what USF's plans are (if any) for an on-campus stadium down there? I recall reading something a long time ago saying they were "exploring" the idea of moving from RayJay because of the distance from campus, and size (too large). I hear attendance been an issue this year there? We've been dealing with some fan attrition seems like in the first few weeks.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Hey @USFMB any word on what USF's plans are (if any) for an on-campus stadium down there? I recall reading something a long time ago saying they were "exploring" the idea of moving from RayJay because of the distance from campus, and size (too large). I hear attendance been an issue this year there? We've been dealing with some fan attrition seems like in the first few weeks.

Mostly just talk and no action regarding an OCS.

I have no doubt that should we end up in one of the major conferences, USF would be much more likely to actively pursue plans in that regard.

IF USF were going to build and OCS, it would not be one of the erector set types on the cheap. USF fans are used to the comfort and amenities of playing in an NFL stadium and would not be keen on sitting in bleacher seats.

Of course, being in the AAC, with the relatively paltry dollars paid to the conference schools, it would be cost prohibitive to take on such a financial burden.

As for attendance, we have seen a significant increase in season ticket sales. I think our average so far (for tickets distributed) is over 43,000. Of course, that is not actual attendance. I prseume you could knock off about 5,000/gm,to get a more realistic number, which would still be well over 35,000.

We did have very poor attendance for last week's game against ECU. There were a number of reasons for that including the talk of an impending hurricane in Florida. IMO, though, the biggest factor was that it was a NOON game in very hot weather against a weak opponent. USF fans have mainly been spoiled with 7 PM FB games over the years. These noon games are UNBEARABLE in Florida. We left early in both of our noon games this year, because we could not take it any longer. I'm sure that many people who suffered through that first game at noon against FSU, just decided not to go through that again against ECU.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

they sound a lot like us... best line in the thread was 'Rutgers has punted for 600 yds."

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Mostly just talk and no action regarding an OCS.

I have no doubt that should we end up in one of the major conferences, USF would be much more likely to actively pursue plans in that regard.

IF USF were going to build and OCS, it would not be one of the erector set types on the cheap. USF fans are used to the comfort and amenities of playing in an NFL stadium and would not be keen on sitting in bleacher seats.

Of course, being in the AAC, with the relatively paltry dollars paid to the conference schools, it would be cost prohibitive to take on such a financial burden.

As for attendance, we have seen a significant increase in season ticket sales. I think our average so far (for tickets distributed) is over 43,000. Of course, that is not actual attendance. I prseume you could knock off about 5,000/gm,to get a more realistic number, which would still be well over 35,000.

We did have very poor attendance for last week's game against ECU. There were a number of reasons for that including the talk of an impending hurricane in Florida. IMO, though, the biggest factor was that it was a NOON game in very hot weather against a weak opponent. USF fans have mainly been spoiled with 7 PM FB games over the years. These noon games are UNBEARABLE in Florida. We left early in both of our noon games this year, because we could not take it any longer. I'm sure that many people who suffered through that first game at noon against FSU, just decided not to go through that again against ECU.
Did I pick up on a subtle dig at UCF's tin can? Lol

Reaction Score
I give Taggart credit - I saw a story that he, TJ Weist and Shaun King went to Baylor in the offseason to learn ways to improve the USF offense for this season. And that was coming off a good offensive year in 2015. That offseason trip seems to be paying off so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom