USF Conducting On Campus Stadium Study | The Boneyard

USF Conducting On Campus Stadium Study

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Study: On-campus USF stadium projected at $200 million

TAMPA — Emphasizing they're very early in the process, USF administrators indicated Tuesday they're exploring four sites on the campus' southern end for a possible on-campus football stadium.

Athletic director Mark Harlan discussed the school's "Football Stadium Conceptual Planning Study" with Calvin Williams, USF's vice-president for administrative services (and a civil engineer). The two said USF looked at 14 other stadiums around the country to get the best perspective of what kind of facility would work best for the Bulls.

"I want to make it really fundamentally clear to everybody … that this is the first step of many steps," Harlan said.

The basics of the 41-page report: The sites are located in two "zones," all bordering or near Fowler Avenue. Projected capacity is 40,000-50,000. Expected costs are roughly $200 million in today's dollars.

Williams stressed no educational or general state funds would be used to finance the facility. Student fees may or may not be another matter.

"At the end of the day, any student fees has to work through their committees and their structure," Harlan said. "So I think right now, we're so early in process it's hard quite candidly to take that off the table."

The four explored sites include the current home of the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI), across Fowler from the southeast edge of campus. Williams noted, however, that MOSI is owned by the county.

The site that initially appears most compatible with the stated criteria (i.e. parking space, visibility, immediate availability) are the Fowler Fields. Located just south of the Sun Dome, that area currently is used for intramural contests and USF band practices.

"You're right, D checks off all the boxes," Williams said.

"However, both zones if you will, offer advantages. One has more acreage potentially available than another. But again, because of the unforeseen site conditions, we really can't say.

"We are so preliminary in this."

The next step: discussing the study — which cost $75,000 — with the USF Board of Trustees next week. Then a financial strategy.

Reaction Score
The USF Stadium Feasibility Study Shows Where, But Not How — And That’s The Hard Part

>>If USF broke ground on a stadium along Fowler Avenue tomorrow, the projected costs for what they’d like to build range between $194,240,634 and $202,382,256. If they wait until 2022 to put a shovel in the ground, a very optimistic timeline considering USF Vice President for Administrative Services and civil engineer Calvin Williams said during the press conference “I’ll tell you, if we had the dollars today, we’re still five to seven years out,” those same costs are projected to range between $236,973,574 and $246,906,474.<<

Reaction Score
That's a huge step forward for USF if it works out.

Question: if UConn ever decided to add an on campus stadium where would it go?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We should do a study and plan for an on campus stadium so we have something to present in the next round of CRA. However, Without a big boost in revenue from a change in conferences - it's never going to happen. Plus - any such move also has the political damage of the Rent becoming pretty much useless and therefore an albatross.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

I wish UConn would just annex the Pratt &Whitney property and call it "on campus" so we could put an end to these silly comments.

You could never ever get 40,000+ people in and out of Storrs/Mansfield in a day. You'd also never have anyone from the southern part of the state bothering to attend. I LOVE the idea of an on campus stadium, but it just doesn't make sense for UConn.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I wish UConn would just annex the Pratt &Whitney property and call it "on campus" so we could put an end to these silly comments.

You could never ever get 40,000+ people in and out of Storrs/Mansfield in a day. You'd also never have anyone from the southern part of the state bothering to attend. I LOVE the idea of an on campus stadium, but it just doesn't make sense for UConn.

Not that we're getting an OCS anytime soon (aka ever) but can we put to bed the whole "nobody from the southern part of the state would bother to attend" thing? Those people aren't going to the games as is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Horsebarn Hill or the Separatist Tract probably. I guess the Mansfield Depot campus is another option but I'd rather have it closer to the center of campus.

Horsebarn Hill would command great views and visible all over campus. The Separatist Tract abuts our existing athletic complex, so it is probably a more logical choice.

Before someone posts that an on campus stadium would surely trigger Armageddon due to traffic problems, let me say that both locations could have roads temporarily converted to one way traffic for emptying the stadium and that the natural feathering of traffic due to people hanging out on campus to tailgate, go to restaurant or tour would take the sting out the 6 game days a year.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Not that we're getting an OCS anytime soon (aka ever) but can we put to bed the whole "nobody from the southern part of the state would bother to attend" thing? Those people aren't going to the games as is.

Right now, no one is going to the games from any part of the state. If UConn can get back to winning, there will be plenty of people in and around at least New Haven county that would attend. Very very difficult to get in and out of Storrs, making the trip from anywhere south of Hartford county a difficult one.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I have another alternative,

Just move Campus to East Hartford
This was my suggestion as well, lol. Annex the P&W property, and then say you have an on-campus stadium. That is as close as UConn will ever get.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If I were USF I'd build 40k with room to expand and just send the higher demand games to the pirate ship. But I'm curious as to where they get that $200m.

Reaction Score
I would go more often just to be back on campus

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Horsebarn Hill or the Separatist Tract probably. I guess the Mansfield Depot campus is another option but I'd rather have it closer to the center of campus.

Horsebarn Hill would command great views and visible all over campus. The Separatist Tract abuts our existing athletic complex, so it is probably a more logical choice.

Before someone posts that an on campus stadium would surely trigger Armageddon due to traffic problems, let me say that both locations could have roads temporarily converted to one way traffic for emptying the stadium and that the natural feathering of traffic due to people hanging out on campus to tailgate, go to restaurant or tour would take the sting out the 6 game days a year.

Putting the stadium on horsebarn hill would be a shame. Don't want to throw a concrete slab on the prettiest scenery uconn has to offer!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Putting the stadium on horsebarn hill would be a shame. Don't want to throw a concrete slab on the prettiest scenery uconn has to offer!
I hear you but it would be impressive and a great place for a game! The Separatist Tract is probably the better location because of that, having a dedicated athletic facility "district" on campus and proximity to Shenkman and Burton.

That said, barring someone buying the Rent, it will never happen. Nor should it. The Rent is a great place to see a game and the state has already invested in it.

Reaction Score
Here's a (stupid) thought. Put dorms for Hartford at the Rent and a shuttle (expanded Busway) for back and forth to Front St. They are putting dorms in Stamford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom