USF attendance problem? | The Boneyard

USF attendance problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Complaining about local news coverage when half the state in under an emergency declaration is a bit obtuse don't you think?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Give away free tickets and see how many fans show up.
When are people going to realize that there is no f....king money out there.
People don't have the money to waste on a UConn/USF game when the only job you can find is as stacker at Walmart.

Reaction Score
Complaining about local news coverage when half the state in under an emergency declaration is a bit obtuse don't you think?

04.jpg

Reaction Score
It's less to do with pricing and more to do with the disappointment of going from Big East, BCS, to American Conference, G5 status. Only us, Cincinnati, and USF know what that is like. It really kills enthusiasm around your program. There is no chance to go 9-3, and go to a big bowl against a quality opponent. Your only hope is to have a breakout year. Your could argue USF is in the midst of that but still. It's not a shocker their attendance is down. Still 16k, is really bad.

Reaction Score
I love this. The answer is so clear. They play in a market with pro sports and big time college football not too far away. They've been FBS for like 20 years? What do you expect? No tradition, poor product, other local options usually equals poor attendance. Just ask us.

Reaction Score
It's less to do with pricing and more to do with the disappointment of going from Big East, BCS, to American Conference, G5 status. Only us, Cincinnati, and USF know what that is like. It really kills enthusiasm around your program. There is no chance to go 9-3, and go to a big bowl against a quality opponent. Your only hope is to have a breakout year. Your could argue USF is in the midst of that but still. It's not a shocker their attendance is down. Still 16k, is really bad.
Spot on... uconn was pulling 35K for Maine back in 2006. Big difference to the fan base if your team is viewed as 2nd tier.

Reaction Score
This is as true for USF as it is UConn and many other programs. When you have to make your customer feel obliged to go support the team, then you've already lost. I don't know anyone who buys football tickets out of shame. Sure, some people here feel obliged, and buy them, but 1) look at our attendance, and 2) this place is filled with lunatics anyway (present company included).

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

True. I think this is a large part of it in our case, but I think that people who act as if that's the only reason for current attendance levels are mistaken. I see it as a three-fold problem. 1) out of power conference and substandard play 2) CT has a very short attention span for sports. even uconn men's basketball attendance can be embarrassing at times given the status of the program...i don't think winning is a cure all 3) football attendance across the board is down...not just us. so much easier to just watch on tv from your couch in high def.

Reaction Score
These stories crack me up. Even the NFL is complaining about attendance. You can buy a 65" high Def TV for less than two season tickets in most places. There are dozens of ways to watch games without leaving your house, and everyone is on tv. The outcome of those factors was inevitable.

Reaction Score
People don't have the money to waste on a UConn/USF game when the only job you can find is as stacker at Walmart.
Part time with no healthcare benefits.

Reaction Score

There's no money in Tampa?

Reaction Score
USF has a lot of challenges...
  • Predominately a suitcase school like UConn used to be, i.e. everyone goes home on the weekends.
  • They play in a NFL stadium about 10 miles from Campus
  • And it's only 15 miles to the beaches, which are free and likely have a lot more interesting things to watch for late teen/early twenty year old co-eds
  • USF is the 3rd football program in the Tampa area after U Florida and Florida St, not to mention the NFL Bucs
  • And like UConn, outside of their natural rival in UCF, the random ranked guest like Houston, and maybe UConn and Cincy due to local alumni fan bases, who in Tampa really cares about Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, etc.
PS - Did I mention the beaches are close by? Thanks to the USF Bull fan forum for this.

usf.jpg

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
There's no money in Tampa?

I have a friend whose store is just a few blocks from USF, he says his business has been way off and he has been there for years.
People are watching every dime.

Reaction Score
There is actually tons of stuff to do in Tampa, big name concerts every weekend, beaches North & South, Busch Gardens is also 5 minutes away from campus.
I went to grad school @ USF and there is so much competition for student attention and $$$
Plus the USF administration is really sketchy and not trustworthy - everything they do reeks of BS and is unprofessional - They do not have the trust or respect of the students.

Reaction Score
Living in Tampa I meet more FSU and Gators fans, even Miami sometimes. Too many activities to do down here-boating ,beaches,nightlife,amusement parks for the casual fan to go to a game. Attendance is down for all teams except the TB Lightning which is the city's team right now. Hockey rules in south Florida which is ironic if you think about it but does produce the best live product. #gobolts and Whalers!

Reaction Score
Living in Tampa I meet more FSU and Gators fans, even Miami sometimes. Too many activities to do down here-boating ,beaches,nightlife,amusement parks for the casual fan to go to a game. Attendance is down for all teams except the TB Lightning which is the city's team right now. Hockey rules in south Florida which is ironic if you think about it but does produce the best live product. #gobolts and Whalers!

Well we have Karate lessons…and ice cream in West Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom