USF 2017 - 2018 | The Boneyard

USF 2017 - 2018

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Thought I should start a new USF WBB thread for the 2017 - 2018 season.

Our OOC schedule has just been released. It is much more difficult than last year. That is understandable, since we were rebuilding with the addition of six new players. Considering that, we were still able to make the NCAA tourney, which was somewhat unexpected. Having said that, we felt at the end that we could have done better, had it ben for a host of injuries to many players. As a result we were forced to play very shorthanded the entire season.

I think our coach expects us to be considerably better this season and that is why he has created a challenging OOC schedule, that includes: LSU, Oklahoma, Baylor, Michigan State, Ohio State, with the possibility of also playing South Carolina and Notre Dame.

USF Will Be Tested Early and Often in 2017-18

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Glad to see you back and better and than ever!

Enjoyed watching Courtney Williams and the Sun beat the Mystics and EDD the other night. What a game. Courtney's vertical is even higher than her USF days. What a player. We are fortunate to have her on the Sun.

PS - still expect USF to be a major conference force this year.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Of the six new USF players brought in last year, only Tamara Henshaw made a significant impact.

Nachalie De Jesus, a JUCO PG was injured for most of the year and saw almost no playing time. She does not appear on the new roster and I assume, therefore, that she is no longer on the team.

Dorottya Nagy, did not live up to her 5-star hype. She seemed to have a difficult time transitioning to the US college game. Some of that might have been due to only playing limited minutes most of the season because of the same type of foot injury which prevented Laura Ferreira from playing.

Shandrea Leverett was red shirted.

Enna Penhadzic missed the entire season with an ACL injury.

Jazzmaine Bond [Dangerfield's HS teammate], saw limited playing time, due to a back inury.

In addition, we had a transfer, Alyssa Rader, who sat out the year.

USF signed three players this season, but only one, PG Vanessa Blagmon, appears on the current roster.

2017-18 Women's Basketball Roster - USF Athletics

The other two players, Alba Prieto and Silvia Serrat are not yet listed, because they are playing on the U18 Spanish team this summer and won't be enrolled at USF until the fall. Both of them are considered 4/5 star players by the various ranking services. We expect them to see a good deal of playing time.

Last edited:

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Glad to see you back and better and than ever!

Enjoyed watching Courtney Williams and the Sun beat the Mystics and EDD the other night. What a game. Courtney's vertical is even higher than her USF days. What a player. We are fortunate to have her on the Sun.

PS - still expect USF to be a major conference force this year.

Thanks.

We have been following the Sun and Courtney very closely. She really has blossomed into a potential all star.

Reaction Score
Wife and I along with a bunch of friends attended the UCONN @ South Florida game last February in Tampa. Except for parking, a beautiful venue for watching a basketball game. It seemed like approximately 70% of the fans supported UCONN, but the SFU fans were also loud in their support of their team. Hope to be able to make the trip back to Florida in 2018 to attend the game. But will due to parking concerns will schedule our arrival for much earlier. I also hope that South Florida only loses four games this year, all to UCONN. Go Huskies

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thought I should start a new USF WBB thread for the 2017 - 2018 season.

Our OOC schedule has just been released. It is much more difficult than last year. That is understandable, since we were rebuilding with the addition of six new players. Considering that, we were still able to make the NCAA tourney, which was somewhat unexpected. Having said that, we felt at the end that we could have done better, had it ben for a host of injuries to many players. As a result we were forced to play very shorthanded the entire season.

I think our coach expects us to be considerably better this season and that is why he has created a challenging OOC schedule, that includes: LSU, Oklahoma, Baylor, Michigan State, Ohio State, with the possibility of also playing South Carolina and Notre Dame.

USF Will Be Tested Early and Often in 2017-18

That would be a tough schedule for any program, but especially one from the AAC. It is said that imitation IS the most sincerest form of flattery. :cool:

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF 2017-18 Women's Basketball Roster

USF Athletics

USF W. Basketball‏Verified account @USFWBB 9h9 hours ago
The field is set for the Gulf Coast Showcase. We open against @WSUWomensHoops Nov. 24.

National Champ South Carolina headlines the 2017 Gulf Coast Showcase women’s field

DIFXnbfWsAAAK9W.jpg

Gulf Coast Showcase

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting USFMB. The Gulf Coast Showcase has a good lineup of teams! If USF gets by WSU the likely 2nd round opponent would be Notre Dame. USF used to give Notre Dame fits back in the Big East days. Meanwhile, South Carolina opens against Rutgers and then will take on the winner of St John's vs Western Michigan. A South Carolina vs USF/Notre Dame final would be worth watching. I hope the games are streamed.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting USFMB. The Gulf Coast Showcase has a good lineup of teams! If USF gets by WSU the likely 2nd round opponent would be Notre Dame. USF used to give Notre Dame fits back in the Big East days. Meanwhile, South Carolina opens against Rutgers and then will take on the winner of St John's vs Western Michigan. A South Carolina vs USF/Notre Dame final would be worth watching. I hope the games are streamed.

Thanks.

We expect USF WBB to be better this season. That is why our coach has them playing a much tougher OOC schedule.

Even if we are in fact better, I don't know if that will mean a better overall won/loss record. I do know, that it should better prepare us to play UCONN and other teams in the conference and for possible NCAA post-season play.

Good luck to UCONN in all your other games.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Of the six new USF players brought in last year, only Tamara Henshaw made a significant impact.

Nachalie De Jesus, a JUCO PG was injured for most of the year and saw almost no playing time. She does not appear on the new roster and I assume, therefore, that she is no longer on the team.

Dorottya Nagy, did not live up to her 5-star hype. She seemed to have a difficult time transitioning to the US college game. Some of that might have been due to only playing limited minutes most of the season because of the same type of foot injury which prevented Laura Ferreira from playing.

Shandrea Leverett was red shirted.

Enna Penhadzic missed the entire season with an ACL injury.

Jazzmaine Bond [Dangerfield's HS teammate], saw limited playing time, due to a back inury.

In addition, we had a transfer, Alyssa Rader, who sat out the year.

USF signed three players this season, but only one, PG Vanessa Blagmon, appears on the current roster.

2017-18 Women's Basketball Roster - USF Athletics

The other two players, Alba Prieto and Silvia Serrat are not yet listed, because they are playing on the U18 Spanish team this summer and won't be enrolled at USF until the fall. Both of them are considered 4/5 star players by the various ranking services. We expect them to see a good deal of playing time.
Umm, no. Just no. Stop the spin. The team did miss Fernandez (and her questionable dirty play) however the rest of the starters all were experienced with Lakksa, Pujol, Jesperson and Flores. Bond was completely ineffective during her time and don't say that was due to her back. She's drastically undersized in weight for 6'4" and needs muscle and an inside game. Plus all Jose does is recruit overseas. It irritates me to no end he doesn't give AMERICAN young ladies a chance for an education. So yes, I do think a limit on foreign sports scholarships should happen. No more than 3 foreigners per program.
To use rebuilding as a lame excuse for last years OOC schedule is pathetic. You're a quality program, act like it. Where I do agree with you is a poor showing in the NCAA Tournament. I was hoping for at least a sweet 16 given the hype.
Remember, while you are still an arch rival in our conference and why I will always challenge the too much rah rah USF here without temperance, I will root for you against virtually all other non-AAC teams. But just because you are an in conference rival doesn't mean I am worried because last years beat downs demonstrated who the top dog is and will be this year.:D (With the green emoji to match your color scheme)...

Reaction Score
USF (International) is a great scoring team but a poor defensive team. Remember for foreign players, no glory in playing defense, come thousands miles, only to score points.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF (International) is a great scoring team but a poor defensive team. Remember for foreign players, no glory in playing defense, come thousands miles, only to score points.

I think international players don't understand why they are called for fouls over here and don't know what they can and cannot do. Evidently, the international officials allow them to play and don't call as many fouls.

In any event, our coach is back there again today:

Jose Fernandez‏Verified account @CoachJFernandez

Not a bad view for 1st day on recruiting trail. #InternationalFlavor

DJno8K_UIAAoHmP.jpg

10:02 AM - 13 Sep 2017

Reaction Score
We saw USF play UConn last year and my impression was that the team didn't have any chemistry to speak of. That probably was because of the injuries. My other impression was that Jesperson was waaaay overrated, but that's just me. Bringing all those players back presents a real challenge for the coach. We'll see how he creates chemistry with this almost-completely-new bunch.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Nice to see Jose Fernandez isn't ducking anyone. USF schedule is a little tough also. May someone please tell me if Laura F. is available to play this season or is she still dealing with the foot problem?

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Nice to see Jose Fernandez isn't ducking anyone. USF schedule is a little tough also. May someone please tell me if Laura F. is available to play this season or is she still dealing with the foot problem?

She still has the foot problem, but is expected to play.

How much she can play is still up in the air.

Last year, she played around nine OOC games before calling it quits for the season, because of her foot.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
She still has the foot problem, but is expected to play.

How much she can play is still up in the air.

Last year, she played around nine OOC games before calling it quits for the season, because of her foot.

Thank you!!

Reaction Score
Article on OOC Schedule:

Joey Knight‏ @TBTimes_Bulls 1h1 hour ago
Joey Knight Retweeted TampaBayTimesSports

If @USFWBB can respectably survive this non-conference slate, there should be no -- I repeat, NADA -- concerns about its RPI come March.

USF women could face South Carolina in November

I have a lot of respect for the way Jose Fernandez and USF are building their program. The only way to get better is by playing the best, and by scheduling these top teams, that is exactly what they are doing. I am not sure what Fernandez's contract status is, but if I was the AD, I would lock him for as long as I could, because he is great coach who is building a program the right way!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I have a lot of respect for the way Jose Fernandez and USF are building their program. The only way to get better is by playing the best, and by scheduling these top teams, that is exactly what they are doing. I am not sure what Fernandez's contract status is, but if I was the AD, I would lock him for as long as I could, because he is great coach who is building a program the right way!

Thanks.

Jose signed a new long term contract recently. I don't remember the details.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Well, you will have lots of company come January 6 when UConn plays USF at the SunDome (what a great facility!).
Hoping my season-tix holder brother can snag me two seats, even tho they won't be in the deluxe section where they sit. Here's to a great season for both teams.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
We have our Florida reservations to be there for the game. Very excited! Excellent for USF for their well-deserved ranking. Think you guys are poised for a great season.

Side note - pretty darn exciting for Courtney Williams to be invited to USAWBB National camp this coming week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom