Use the Purdue/Zach Edey strategy against opposing Bigs | The Boneyard

Use the Purdue/Zach Edey strategy against opposing Bigs

Reaction Score
There's a log of concern about our low post interior D. Rightfully so. I say we adopt the same strategy we used against Purdue and Zach Edey. Tell Johnson and Reed to play them straight up. Do their best to not foul (too much). Then try to outplay the other 4 guys on the floor. It's worth a shot in my opinion. hopefully Singare works his way into the lineup and can help keep Johnson and Reed out of foul trouble. But worst case Karaban moves to 5 and we put 5 shooters on the floor.

My suspicion is, this is already the plan of DH and Staff. Bama made the final four with a similar strategy. Illinois made the final 8 with a similar strategy.

Reaction Score
There's a log of concern about our low post interior D. Rightfully so. I say we adopt the same strategy we used against Purdue and Zach Edey. Tell Johnson and Reed to play them straight up. Do their best to not foul (too much). Then try to outplay the other 4 guys on the floor. It's worth a shot in my opinion. hopefully Singare works his way into the lineup and can help keep Johnson and Reed out of foul trouble.

My suspicion is, this is already the plan of DH and Staff. Bama made the final four with a similar strategy. Illinois made the final 8 with a similar strategy.

Not a bad idea. And the good thing is, there are zero zach edey's or players remotely comparable to him in college basketball this coming season.

Gang rebound, keep your man in front of you, rotate.

Reaction Score
In my view the bigger problem is protecting the rim when opponents penetrate. While you are correct in what you said, protecting the rim will still be an issue. HOWEVER, opponents are gonna have to score 80 plus points to beat us. And our teams under DH have always been defensively adequate, if not awesome. And our guards and wings will have a lot of blocks too

Reaction Score
In my view the bigger problem is protecting the rim when opponents penetrate. While you are correct in what you said, protecting the rim will still be an issue. HOWEVER, opponents are gonna have to score 80 plus points to beat us. And our teams under DH have always been defensively adequate, if not awesome. And our guards and wings will have a lot of blocks too
Johnson is not Clingan, but of the things he does well defensively, off the ball shot blocking is actually something he does ok. So hopefully Johnson can keep opposing guards honest. Also, looking at the size, speed and abundance of our guards. We may do a better job keeping opposing guards out of the paint than we did last year.

Reaction Score
I had the same thought and I think there is definitely something to that strategy. I’m sure if us fans had the thought the coaching staff certainly had had it as well.

Reaction Score
Only works if you have a Clingan that can go 1-1 and not give up 100 points

Samson fouled out in literally 5 minutes in the title game and Edey scored 37 on 15-25 from the floor with Clingan on him for 30 min.
I think you are missing the point. We don't have a dominant big. In this case you either send help or you don't send help. I'm suggesting we don't send help. I know it will work if you have great guards and a dominant big... that works amazingly well.. nothing in fact works better.

Reaction Score
There's a log of concern about our low post interior D. Rightfully so. I say we adopt the same strategy we used against Purdue and Zach Edey. Tell Johnson and Reed to play them straight up. Do their best to not foul (too much). Then try to outplay the other 4 guys on the floor. It's worth a shot in my opinion. hopefully Singare works his way into the lineup and can help keep Johnson and Reed out of foul trouble. But worst case Karaban moves to 5 and we put 5 shooters on the floor.

Totally agree. Play straight up and rebound. That's really all we need out of our bigs. I think Reed and Johnson can offer more than that but this team is still going to win by big margins if that's all they do. Other teams are going to be asking themselves how do we defend UConn? I think this team averages 85-90 points a game.

Reaction Score
Looking at some rough numbers from last year.

DC played 22 MPG, 13 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 2.6 blocks.
SJ played 16 MPG. 5.4 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 0.9 blocks

So our bigs played 38 minutes a game, scored 18.4 points, grabbed 10.2 boards and blocked 3.5 blocks. Replacing those numbers would be very good.

Of course, it is impossible to calculate the number of changed shot and shots that were not even attempted because of the presence of Clingan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom