USC @ Oregon 2/16 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

USC @ Oregon 2/16

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I get the National feed, Washington and Oregon. It wasn't being shown on any of the 3 Pac 12 channels I get.
Okay. I get Pac12, PacBA, PacLA and Pac12a. I was not aware of the others.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The announcers didn't say anything about it, but that has to be a record, right?

The ESPN summary blurb says it is a record " Oregon tops USC in 2OT Ruthy Hebard sets an NCAA record by making 30 consecutive field goals and leads Oregon past USC in a thrilling 80-74 double overtime win."

However, I found this article about the current consecutive made baskets in NCAA basketball. The old record is 30 so ESPN seems to be incorrect.

Yale's Brandon Sherrod sets NCAA mark for consecutive made field goals

"Over the course of the past five games, Yale's Brandon Sherrod took 30 shots from the field -- AND MADE THEM ALL. This record might not be broken for decades". Last season so decades is too optimistic. :D

Of course far more impressive when you do it in less games as a volume shooter when the other team is focused much more on you.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
The ESPN summary blurb says it is a record " Oregon tops USC in 2OT Ruthy Hebard sets an NCAA record by making 30 consecutive field goals and leads Oregon past USC in a thrilling 80-74 double overtime win."

However, I found this article about the current consecutive made baskets in NCAA basketball. The old record is 30 so ESPN seems to be incorrect.

Yale's Brandon Sherrod sets NCAA mark for consecutive made field goals

"Over the course of the past five games, Yale's Brandon Sherrod took 30 shots from the field -- AND MADE THEM ALL. This record might not be broken for decades". Last season so decades is too optimistic. :D

Of course far more impressive when you do it in less games as a volume shooter when the other team is focused much more on you.

I suspect ESPN should have added "for WBB" to the claim. There has been a fair amount of discussion regarding the importance of player development on this board and Hebard is a case in point. Although she's always been good around the basket, when she arrived in Eugene, she actually considered redshirting her first year due to the lack of any real competition in Alaska. In short, she was very raw but had a lot of potential. (I think she was ranked somewhere in the 30s on Hoopgurlz.) Well, she obviously didn't redshirt and ended up #25 on the ESPN list on top collegiate WBB players at the end of last year. I thought that was a bit of a push, but--this year, and despite still being a work in progress--she's proved she deserved that ranking. She's stronger, much quicker, better defensively, and is gradually developing a greater range of moves offensively (she even hit a jumper from the foul line last night), while continuing to be money around the basket. If the improvement continues, and I see no reason why it won't, I think she will be an All-American by the time she graduates. Hebard doesn't have the athleticism of a Billings (who does other than Gabby?), but she's no slouch, and at this point I think she is arguably the best (and certainly the most consistent) power forward in the Pac-12.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hebard doesn't have the athleticism of a Billings (who does other than Gabby?), but she's no slouch, and at this point I think she is arguably the best (and certainly the most consistent) power forward in the Pac-12.

I think you're correct.

You must be quite happy to have Bando back and see her knocking down 3's as if she wasn't out for a month or so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom