USAToday: Boatright Among Top 5 Impact Players Forgoing NBA | The Boneyard

USAToday: Boatright Among Top 5 Impact Players Forgoing NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Behind Louisville's Harrell & Wisconsin's Kaminsky:

3. Ryan Boatright, UConn: Playing in a backcourt with Shabazz Napier can have its pros and cons. We'll find out in 2014-15 how Boatright can operate without an All-American complementing him. In many ways, this could be a chance for Boatright to excel with UConn being his team. The explosive guard saw his averages dip from his sophomore (15.4 ppg, 4.4 apg) to junior seasons (12.1 ppg, 3.4 apg). He'll be the only senior on a talented roster that has Terrence Samuel and Omar Calhoun returning to the backcourt and Sam Cassell Jr. and N.C. State transfer Rodney Purvis arriving. But expect Boatright to be the go-to guy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...with-weighty-expectations-in-2014-15/9609855/

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This guy was waaaaaay more important than DD in returning for his senior year. Don't get me wrong, we could have definitely used DD, but having an experienced point running the show is pretty much everything in college BB. It has been proven over and over and over again.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
can't wait to see the boatshow this winter!

Reaction Score
My perception changed when he changed. Somewhere between last season an mid-way through this season, Ryan's defense went from mediocre and lazy to simply outstanding and determined.

I don't think his defense was mediocre in the beginning of the season, he was always a good playmaker on defense. But towards the postseason he started to focus a lot more on shutting down guys individually, and he became a lot more effective.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of non UCONN fans are sleeping on Boat thinking simply that we lost Shabazz and that's that. I think Boat's going to explode this year as he did in the NCAA's.
If he expodes he will be in the Dleague for about ten years. He has to show he can stay under control and run an NBA team.

Reaction Score
I hope Boat works on his handle this summer. We know he can score, we know he can defend, and we know he can get assists. But he had a little trouble at times bringing the ball up when primarily running the point and getting double teamed. I think he's more than ready to step up to the challenge though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I hope Boat works on his handle this summer. We know he can score, we know he can defend, and we know he can get assists. But he had a little trouble at times bringing the ball up when primarily running the point and getting double teamed. I think he's more than ready to step up to the challenge though.

I think his handle is just fine. What you are referring to is recognizing and attacking double teams while bringing the ball up court. It's more a mental/strategy issue than anything.

Reaction Score
I don't think his defense was mediocre in the beginning of the season, he was always a good playmaker on defense. But towards the postseason he started to focus a lot more on shutting down guys individually, and he became a lot more effective.

If Boatright brings that one on one defensive intensity every night next year they're going to be awfully hard to play against.

Reaction Score
We don't win the championship without him checking his ego at the door and deferring somewhat to Bazz. Love this kid for that.
+1. I have stated this so many times. He was the big difference to me in going good to great.

Reaction Score
No Boat, No championship, that simple. How many teams will have a point guard that was that instrumental on both ends of the floor in so many high profile games? And he's tougher than nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom