USA Women Lose to Argentina 58-55 | The Boneyard

USA Women Lose to Argentina 58-55

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
in their opening Pan Am Game. Had a chance to time the game, but missed a layup with 3 seconds left in the game. Then fouled for final Argentina margin of victory.

Team was formed late and not a strong team. Probably still shouldn't lose to Argentina Team USA has to find ways to form teams earlier and get additional practice time.

Reaction Score
Breanna led the team with 18 points and 21 rebounds.

For some reason neither Sykes nor Luper played in the game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Breanna led the team with 18 points and 21 rebounds.

For some reason neither Sykes nor Luper played in the game.

Hate for USA to lose, but wow on Breanna.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
She's by far the youngest player on the team isn't she?
Sonny, she is the only HS player on the team and the 2nd HS player ever to play on the Pan Am team.

I'm blown away by her stats.

JS

Reaction Score
Team was formed late and not a strong team.
Why are there no big-name college players on this team? Everybody decline because practices have started?

Sykes was the only well-known college player on the roster (at least from where we sit in the Big East), and she didn't play.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
And Luper lead the nation in scoring last year, if I remember right...Seems very strange for April not to play, when she could be the best out-side shooter on the team.

Reaction Score
Why are there no big-name college players on this team? Everybody decline because practices have started?

Sykes was the only well-known college player on the roster (at least from where we sit in the Big East), and she didn't play.

Some may have declined either for basketball or academic reasons, but USA Basketball may also have decided to give players who did not already play on the World University Games team this summer. I don't think there is anybody on this team that was on that team, and that team featured the more well known players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
12-14 shooting on FTs and 21 boards (the whole team for Argentina had only 23 boards).

We've had some great ones in Rebecca, Sveta, Nykesha, Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya, Kaleena, et al. Breanna could raise the bar a little more. Oh my!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Seems very strange for April not to play, when she could be the best out-side shooter on the team.

Absent a health issue we don't know about, I'm thinking it wasn't a good match-up for Sykes. She's a wing player without a lot of quickness. Argentina is small (tallest player to get a lot of minutes is 6'), quick and likes to spread the floor.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Even if USA gets out of the group stages, I think it would be very hard for us to beat Brazil with Erika De Souza and Iziane Castro Marques on there. They beat this Argentina team by 40, without Marques a couple weeks ago.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Even if USA gets out of the group stages, I think it would be very hard for us to beat Brazil with Erika De Souza and Iziane Castro Marques on there. They beat this Argentina team by 40, without Marques a couple weeks ago.
I read a report that Brazil has it's national team there.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Hasn't Ceal Barry been out of coaching for a long time? I seem to recall that she has been involved with USA basketball as an administrator, but I think this was the first game she's coached in about 10 years.

Looks like USA had a 14 point lead at one point.

Reaction Score
maybe they are waiting to face better competition to play sykes and Luper.... or not

but how about breanna stewarts's 18pts and 21rbds ?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I doubt they were held out for strategic reasons in the first game of the tournament. More likely some other explanation. Early in a tourney you want to establish the rhythm of all your players. Maybe they drank the water or got food poisoning.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Hopefully the coach will play Sykes. :mad:
They need more fire power and I'm sure Sykes could do it better than some other players on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom