USA Wins 74-70 in OT Wins the U19 Gold Medal. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA Wins 74-70 in OT Wins the U19 Gold Medal.

Reaction Score
The Unsportsmanship Foul was a huge call. Without that call USA probably loses the game in Regulation.

Don't like that Temery ended the thread with 3 minutes left in OT. That was uncalled for during the Off Season.
I rewatched that play a number of times, and while I’m not surprised the foul was called, we were lucky that it was. Anstey wasn’t swinging her elbows wildly. She was lifting the ball over her head and Howard leaned her jaw into Antsey’s elbow at just the right time. There was definitely nothing intentional in Antsey’s move. But that call gave us two free throws and the ball at a point where Australia could have just run out the clock.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@RockyMTblue2
I enjoy the NEW words I learn on the Chat--I never knew there were so many ways to insult your friends and fellow fans--go figure, is that really your idea of FUN????
I guess I'll have to go find a dry/deadpan humor emoticon!

Or maybe this??

1564364528403.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Incidentally, does anyone know why FIBA does U16 and U19 one year and U17 and U18 the other? It seems like it'd be better to do U16/18 and U17/19 to capture the most number of eligible players in any given cycle?
It might have something to do with making it so different birth-year players have a chance at being the oldest. A little confusing to think about, but with this setup, 2019s were the oldest for the U16/U17 cycle, and if this year was U18 and next year U19, players in the class of 2019 would always be the oldest, and 2020 would never have a shot at being the oldest like they will be for the next U18/19 cycle.

U18 and U19 will be weird, because it is for players born 2002 or after, and Bueckers, Clark, Brink, and Van Lith are all 2001 born, so none of them will be eligible.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ummm..... I just noticed in that clip, she already has a WNBA-qualify 'runner' .....

she's only 17 ??!?!? :eek::)

Been part of her game for quite a while. Talent and a lot of hard work all coming together.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched past U19 tournaments and while I acknowledge that these are still young women, some as young as 16, I was surprised by the lack of fundamentals.

Missed uncontested layups and poor FT %.

The Unsportsmanship Foul was a huge call. Without that call USA probably loses the game in Regulation.

Question: Why was the PG passing to the Centre with a 3 point lead and 15 seconds to play? The opposition has to foul. While it was unlucky that she was called for an unsportsmanlike foul, as it was unintentional, she shouldn't have been put in that position.

Shelly PG shot 70.8% FT for tourney and 7 for 8 in final
Anstey C shot 37.5% for tourney and 2 for 7 in final

These are the intangibles that separate the good players from great players. When the pressure is on they more often then not they make the right decision.

So close but not to be for the Aussies for time around.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I haven't watched past U19 tournaments and while I acknowledge that these are still young women, some as young as 16, I was surprised by the lack of fundamentals.

Missed uncontested layups and poor FT %.

Question: Why was the PG passing to the Centre with a 3 point lead and 15 seconds to play? The opposition has to foul. While it was unlucky that she was called for an unsportsmanlike foul, as it was unintentional, she shouldn't have been put in that position.

Shelly PG shot 70.8% FT for tourney and 7 for 8 in final
Anstey C shot 37.5% for tourney and 2 for 7 in final

These are the intangibles that separate the good players from great players. When the pressure is on they more often then not they make the right decision.

So close but not to be for the Aussies for time around.
If you regularly watch really talented HS players, and even young college players, particularly in high level competitions, whether it’s for USA basketball or in all star games like the McDonalds game, you will see plays, at times, that make you scratch your head.

As good as these players are, their individual games are not yet “finished products.” In addition, they have only played and practiced together for a short period of time. With a short period of time to work together, overall team execution will be less than optimal.

The good news is that all of these young ladies will develop significantly in the next few years under the watchful eyes of some very good college coaching, and a few very lucky ones, like Paige Bueckers, will develop her game under the best coaching staff in the history of WBB.

Reaction Score
If you regularly watch really talented HS players, and even young college players, particularly in high level competitions, whether it’s for USA basketball or in all star games like the McDonalds game, you will see plays, at times, that make you scratch your head.

As good as these players are, their individual games are not yet “finished products.” In addition, they have only played and practiced together for a short period of time. With a short period of time to work together, overall team execution will be less than optimal.

The good news is that all of these young ladies will develop significantly in the next few years under the watchful eyes of some very good college coaching, and a few very lucky ones, like Paige Bueckers, will develop her game under the best coaching staff in the history of WBB.
Yes, don’t forget that they are a pickup team. Missing layups is often a case of not being used to the dishing player, missing free throws, however, is because you haven’t spent enough time at the line in off season.

Reaction Score
Yes, don’t forget that they are a pickup team. Missing layups is often a case of not being used to the dishing player, missing free throws, however, is because you haven’t spent enough time at the line in off season.
Very few players are KLS who can hit from at any point on floor a 3, make jumpers inside the arc, and complete layups while shooting free throws in the 90s.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
IMO, Waltz's coaching can be questionable sometimes. If Belgium and Australia were coached by Geno (With all due respect to these teams's respective coaches), the USA would of lost both games.

With all due, Geno does not win them all. At the 2001 FIBA U-19 World Championship for Women, Geno Auriemma was coaching Team USA, with Diana Taurasi, Alana Beard, and Nicole Powell (among others) on the team. After breezing through the early rounds, Team USA was upset in the semifinals by the Czech Republic before bouncing back to beat Australia for the bronze medal.

It is arguably more challenging for Team USA, which takes the best players after tryouts, to go up against a national team system that has the same players in its development program playing for years and years together.

Using Australia as an example:

---- Miela Goodchild, Chelsea D’Angelo, Shyla Heal, and Isabella Bourne were all members of Australia’s team for the 2017 FIBA U17 Women’s Oceania Championship – and were on Australia’s U19 roster this year.

---- Miela Goodchild, Jazmin Shelley, Isobel Antsey, Ula Motuga, Agnes Emma-Nnopu, Lily Scanlon, and Samantha Simons all were all members of Australia’s team for the 2018 FIBA U18 Women’s Asian Championship – and were on Australia’s U19 roster this year.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Though she likely will end up playing elsewhere, I really like Hailey Van Bulldog. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom