USA WBB National Team to Play 4 Games Against College Teams | The Boneyard

USA WBB National Team to Play 4 Games Against College Teams

Reaction Score
Wasn't UConn on the initial list to host one of these exhibition games during November?
  • Date: Oct 9, 2019
The USA Basketball Women’s National Team, which announced in July an expanded training program to aid in its pursuit of a seventh consecutive Olympic gold medal, will tip-off its quest for a gold in Tokyo with four games against top 10 ranked NCAA Division I programs. Opening on Nov. 2 at Stanford University, the USA will play Oregon State University on Nov. 4, Texas A&M University on Nov. 7 and cap the first portion of its NCAA games against University of Oregon on Nov. 9.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone have knowledge of ticket availability?

Reaction Score
I worry about injuries in this exhibition game....is it like a friendly?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Arike against Crystal???? :eek:
Playing for her country, one would expect Arike to be on much better behavior than she was allowed to operate within during her senior season at Notre Dame. Did anyone see any recurring dirty play from Arike during her rookie year in the WNBA? I clearly remember the tactics that she employed on Dangerfield during the UConn win last season. Not a good look for her or for Notre Dame.

I would think that she realizes better now that dirty play impacts her ability to earn endorsements and other income.

Reaction Score
Playing for her country, one would expect Arike to be on much better behavior than she was allowed to operate within during her senior season at Notre Dame. Did anyone see any recurring dirty play from Arike during her rookie year in the WNBA? I clearly remember the tactics that she employed on Dangerfield during the UConn win last season. Not a good look for her or for Notre Dame.

I would think that she realizes better now that dirty play impacts her ability to earn endorsements and other income.
I for one did not see the same type of play out of her since she has been a pro. Perhaps she has changed or perhaps she is afraid that some of the players she is facing will beat the cr@p out of her is she does.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I for one did not see the same type of play out of her since she has been a pro. Perhaps she has changed or perhaps she is afraid that some of the players she is facing will beat the cr@p out of her is she does.
I was in an argument in a bar in my younger, dumber, wilder days. After three guys beat the crap out of me , I sure changed my behavior. Glad that Arike did so before the beating. Smart kid!

Reaction Score

She is a hot head! That doesn't go away just because you put on a different uniform, she was a hot head in high school, she was a hot head in college, and she will always be a hot head!

Reaction Score
She is a hot head! That doesn't go away just because you put on a different uniform, she was a hot head in high school, she was a hot head in college, and she will always be a hot head!

Ok-I do not love Arike, but slow down here. She got too physical in one game with Crystal, it happens. She let her emotions gets the best of her and was frustrated. While her play was borderline dirty, I have never seen Arike display any other traits of being a dirty player. I think she is kind of the opposite. She plays little to no defense and concentrates on offense, IMO.

Reaction Score
Ok-I do not love Arike, but slow down here. She got too physical in one game with Crystal, it happens. She let her emotions gets the best of her and was frustrated. While her play was borderline dirty, I have never seen Arike display any other traits of being a dirty player. I think she is kind of the opposite. She plays little to no defense and concentrates on offense, IMO.

She got in a social media beef with Coach Auriemma when she was still in HS, she has multiple instances in college of either arguing with McGraw, or losing her cool and taking a cheap shot at an opposing player. She is the definition of a hot head!

Reaction Score
She got in a social media beef with Coach Auriemma when she was still in HS, she has multiple instances in college of either arguing with McGraw, or losing her cool and taking a cheap shot at an opposing player. She is the definition of a hot head!
Do you watch ND games? I watched Arike for most of her career. I can't recall a time she has ever argued with McGraw. And if she did, she would get benched. The Twitter instance was already debunked in this thread. She has taken some cheap shots, I'll give you that. I don't know if I'd call her a hot head. She's a clutch player who gets hot in second halves. I don't think a "hot head" would have that type of success regularly. She has had her moments though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe Arike was inappropriately physical with Crystal 2 or 3 times in the regular season game last year. I think she also had some questionable play in a game not too long thereafter. It's not accurate to say that it was one isolated incident, nor is it accurate to say that she had made a career of being dirty. It cropped up in only a couple of games, as far as I know, but more than one play against UConn.

Reaction Score
Do you watch ND games? I watched Arike for most of her career. I can't recall a time she has ever argued with McGraw. And if she did, she would get benched. The Twitter instance was already debunked in this thread. She has taken some cheap shots, I'll give you that. I don't know if I'd call her a hot head. She's a clutch player who gets hot in second halves. I don't think a "hot head" would have that type of success regularly. She has had her moments though.

I don't have to! She was screaming at McGraw in the game she was T'd up for her foul on Dangerfield!

Reaction Score
I've seen players get "a little too physical" many times. I've seen players walk up in front of a player and throw a punch. Almost all the "fights" I see in BB happen when the pushing and elbowing and trash-talking escalates. I don't condone that but I understand how that happens. What Arike did in that game was bizarre to say the least. Neither player was involved in any physicality prior to this beyond the usual pushing and grabbing. And neither was involved in the play. They were running down court on a change of possession. Arike was 15' away when she decided to run up behind Dangerfield, wrap her arm around Dangerfield's neck and drag her to the floor. The second time they were just over the half court line when she again came up from behind from a distance and either kicked or leg whipped Dangerfield from behind. Arike didn't look upset either time she attacked Dangerfield. No one had put her on the floor and I seriously doubt that CD taunted her into it. It just looked to me at the time like it was a cold calculated attempt at either intimidation or injury.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I've seen players get "a little too physical" many times. I've seen players walk up in front of a player and throw a punch. Almost all the "fights" I see in BB happen when the pushing and elbowing and trash-talking escalates. I don't condone that but I understand how that happens. What Arike did in that game was bizarre to say the least. Neither player was involved in any physicality prior to this beyond the usual pushing and grabbing. And neither was involved in the play. They were running down court on a change of possession. Arike was 15' away when she decided to run up behind Dangerfield, wrap her arm around Dangerfield's neck and drag her to the floor. The second time they were just over the half court line when she again came up from behind from a distance and either kicked or leg whipped Dangerfield from behind. Arike didn't look upset either time she attacked Dangerfield. No one had put her on the floor and I seriously doubt that CD taunted her into it. It just looked to me at the time like it was a cold calculated attempt at either intimidation or injury.

or frustration at losing on their home court when they were the favorites?

But more to the point, she seems to have grown up in the WNBA. I think handling the frustration of the Dallas Wings losing so much and having no real support could really wear a player down shows real growth. I choose to look forward.

Reaction Score
More than one game. The ND vs Oregon State game Arike also was dirty, dirty.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

#24 Did some questionable things on back to back afternoons vs FSU and Louisville in the 2018 ACC tournament.... that brought howls from my section.

Reaction Score
You must not have watched too many of her games. The ones I saw she committed both borderline and downright blatant diry plays in the same game. The play where she tripped Christle was not borderline. It was deliberate and she could also be seen watching the official to see if her head was turned away. In the Oregon State game she did the same. One overt dirty and one borderline play within the same minute of play. I must say she has not done those things in the WNBA. Is it that she has developed maturity or just decided not to do that against that level of players. Some of them would take her out without a thought.

Sometimes people go through things in their life that cause them to react in this sort of manner. As far as I know, she did not have that sort of history before her last college year. Very possible that that might have been the reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom