USA vs Canada | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USA vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The most important role of the PG on USA senior national team is get the ball to your teammates in the right places at the right time and don't turn it over. You don't have to score.

Bird last night was only one of three who did not score, but she had 3 assists, 2 steals, and of her 2 TOs, I know 1 was a pass that Sims apologized for cutting the wrong way on.

Bird, Whalen, Taurasi....Geno said he's lucky to have three veteran guards he can trust.

Any updates on BG's ability to travel? After she had the surgery she was not allowed to travel for two days but was then released to travel to and from Chicago.

Reaction Score
Any updates on BG's ability to travel? After she had the surgery she was not allowed to travel for two days but was then released to travel to and from Chicago.

No word yet, not this morning

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The most important role of the PG on USA senior national team is get the ball to your teammates in the right places at the right time and don't turn it over. You don't have to score.

Bird last night was only one of three who did not score, but she had 3 assists, 2 steals, and of her 2 TOs, I know 1 was a pass that Sims apologized for cutting the wrong way on.

Bird, Whalen, Taurasi....Geno said he's lucky to have three veteran guards he can trust.

Compared to Sims' 2 assist, 2 steals and 1 TO...plus 9 points. I fail to see where Bird was more effective at PG than either Diggins or Sims. Diggins had 3 assists, 3 steals, 3 rebounds, 6 points and only 1 TO. And the defensive havoc that Sims and Diggins created is not something that Bird brings to the table.

Geno commented that the "young guns" brought an energy to the team but that he may want experience over "talent." So maybe they don't both make the team but Geno basically said that the "young guns" outplayed some of the veterans.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Personally, I would take both Diggins and Sims and leave Bird out. The team will have veteran leaders at guard in Taurasi and Whalen. Why not give two young guards who will be with USA basketball for a long time some valuable experience?

Leave Bird out? No

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Diggins had 3 assists and 3 steals, with just one turnover. Very similar WNBA assist-turnover ratio to Bird. Playing pass-first isn't her natural style, but I think she can do it.

Sorry folks, I won't belabor the point any longer. They're both fabulous players. Really can't go wrong either way.

Reaction Score
Compared to Sims' 2 assist, 2 steals and 1 TO...plus 9 points. I fail to see where Bird was more effective at PG than either Diggins or Sims. Diggins had 3 assists, 3 steals, 3 rebounds, 6 points and only 1 TO. And the defensive havoc that Sims and Diggins created is not something that Bird brings to the table.

Geno commented that the "young guns" brought an energy to the team but that he may want experience over "talent." So maybe they don't both make the team but Geno basically said that the "young guns" outplayed some of the veterans.

You really can't judge what Diggins and Sims in 15 and 17 minutes did compared to Bird, 17 minutes, because it was a scrimmage with so many subs and combos, plus the coaches gave them different roles..

They also played together a lot of the time, which they are used to, so the familiarity definitely came into play, and they pressed and trapped, which Bird's unit did not.

One will go, the other probably won't between Diggins and Sims, and they SHOULD bring one PG. Even Sue said she's trying to be Dawn Staley to their Sue Bird.

It's really easy to look past the vets because they've been there. Don't forget earlier in the week Geno said there is a HUGE dropoff from the experienced players and the youngsters.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Making USA isn't based on 1 game. It's a fit. The fit comes from many avenues, off court, practice, chemistry, following direction, understanding the goals of the coach and USA. Stats have little to do with the big picture when a stat can result from a player doing something the coach didn't want them to do ie overplaying or poking the ball from behind. A player can score a spectacular shot in the eyes of the crowd but when that player did not run what they were supposed to run it becomes a negative in the eyes of the coach and USA!

Reaction Score
Coming on this board and suggesting that two players from the hinterlands are better than Sue Bird is like going into New York City and advocating that A-Rod is more deserving of Hall of Fame induction than Derek Jeter.
good analogy

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Coming on this board and suggesting that two players from the hinterlands are better than Sue Bird is like going into New York City and advocating that A-Rod is more deserving of Hall of Fame induction than Derek Jeter.

I know, I know. Fools errand.

Just thought I'd try to spark some discussion/shouting me down.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As Oragnutan pointed out, anyone who is chosen will be more than capable of bringing home gold for the US. If the PGs are Whalen, Sims and Diggins, the US will still win the gold, so why not bring the young talent on now for the experience since they will be the PGs of the future. It should be interesting to see how things play out with all of the "unavailable" players for the US. I think that after the next set of exhibition games we will know if Sims and Diggins are able to bring something to the table that other players cannot.

Reaction Score
As Oragnutan pointed out, anyone who is chosen will be more than capable of bringing home gold for the US. If the PGs are Whalen, Sims and Diggins, the US will still win the gold, so why not bring the young talent on now for the experience since they will be the PGs of the future. It should be interesting to see how things play out with all of the "unavailable" players for the US.

That goes both ways...

If they can win gold now without experience, why can't they do it then?

So then by your logic, when they get their turn in 2016 or beyond, they will be more than capable of bringing home gold then.

What's the point in giving them the experience now and strip someone who has been part of USA Basketball since 2002 from a final go around?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That goes both ways...

If they can win gold now without experience, why can't they do it then?

So then by your logic, when they get their turn in 2016 or beyond, they will be more than capable of bringing home gold then.

What's the point in giving them the experience now and strip someone who has been part of USA Basketball since 2002 from a final go around?

To prepare for the future. But, just my opinion. I understand the desire to reward a player who has been involved in USA basketball for years, but who is to say Bird doesn't want to play in 2020? Does she still get rewarded for years of service at that point, also?

I fully expect that Bird will be on the team, so this is really a moot point, in the long run. I suspect that Diggins will make the team and Sims will be cut.

Reaction Score
To prepare for the future.

You're caught in a circle. They can win without experience you say, but we have to prepare for the future, so they should go, but they have no experience now, but they can win now anyway, so why can't they win later with no experience too?

I think you take one young guard to be mentored by the two best in the world at their jobs.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You're caught in a circle. They can win without experience you say, but we have to prepare for the future, so they should go, but they have no experience now, but they can win now anyway, so why can't they win later with no experience too?

I think you take one young guard to be mentored by the two best in the world at their jobs.

You can't go wrong with any of them. Sims will be ready whenever she gets her shot, whether that be now or in 2018.

Reaction Score
You can't go wrong with any of them. Sims will be ready whenever she gets her shot, whether that be now or in 2018.

you assume Simms ahead of Skylar and even McBride and Bird. Wow I would guess you are from Texas, wait, I'm on to something

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
why not bring the young talent on now for the experience since they will be the PGs of the future.

By this logic, why not include Moriah in the current talent pool? Or Ekmark, Edwards, Williams, Samuelson and Collier -- if not now, at least for the 2016 Olympic team? After all, several Boneyarders have already destined a few of those named for at least the WNBA, if not for the HoF.

I, for one, doubt that the committee will tell Geno to inform Sue, "Thanks for your service, Sue, but we're taking Skylar to Turkey so she can get some experience.":eek:

P.S. I think Sims will make the team, deservedly, and help earn a gold medal as she gains experience.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I love Odyssey Sims' game and I would love to see her on the WC roster and be able to watch her play in Istanbul. I believe Geno loves Odyssey Sims too. I've said before that Sims does things defensively that none of the other guards can do which is one of the reasons I prefer her over Diggins. I look forward to seeing what the committee does.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
you assume Simms ahead of Skylar and even McBride and Bird. Wow I would guess you are from Texas, wait, I'm on to something

Actually, I did not. I said in another post that I think Sims will be cut and that Diggins will be on the team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
By this logic, why not include Moriah in the current talent pool? Or Ekmark, Edwards, Williams, Samuelson and Collier -- if not now, at least for the 2016 Olympic team? After all, several Boneyarders have already destined a few of those named for at least the WNBA, if not for the HoF."

None of those are on the current National Team roster, so that would be a little tough. Sims and Diggins are.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I know, I know. Fools errand.

Just thought I'd try to spark some discussion/shouting me down.
So, you posted this opinion just to start something?

I like it....lol.

I remember you posting that you are only 25. Not being a Uconn fan, you might not have been following them back in the ice age when Bird was the best point guard in the world.

She's only 34 and is every bit as good as these young whippersnappers.

You'd really cut the captain of the team?

You have to be the only person on this board that thinks that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is going to be interesting this year, in 2016 for the Olympics, and in 2018 for the next WC to see how USA basketball handles the 2000 - 2006 stars who are all getting toward the end of very distinguished careers. I believe this year the absentees will only be those that are physically unable to go - Parker, Fowles, and Catchings.
I think this was Catchings last hurrah in the final pool for an international team. She has been fabulous on USA teams for a decade.
I suspect this was the last hurrah for Sylvia Fowles as well. She has been injured for part of just about every year since the 2010 WC and I think healthy is still a monster, but her body just seems to be breaking down.
Parker - really not sure. She is the youngest of the three and should be good to go in 2016, but competition from Nneka, Chiney, Breanna, EDD and others at the forward position is getting fierce. If she wants it she should be able to win through

Of the vet players that I do expect to make the team this year:
Bird - she'll be 36 by the Olympics and she too has been having more physical issue in recent years. I expect she will still be playing well if she is healthy, but this WC may be the last hurrah.
Whalen - she'll be 34 by the Olympics but I suspect she will replace Bird as the Old Hand at PG. (I don't expect both Bird and Whalen to make the Olympic team.)
Taurasi - she'll also be 34 by the Olympics and if healthy I expect to be on the team. The question for me is whether she holds on and is on the 2018 WC team at 36?
Augustus - She'll be 32 in 2016 and will see greater competition for her wing spot, but I suspect will hold on through the Olympics.

The other vets will all be under 30 for the Olympics so Maya, Tina, and Angel will be in the mix I would thing for the 2018 WC as long as they remain healthy.

No question in my mind that the committee wants a young guard on this team. From the televised games it is really hard to say anyone has stood out between Diggins, Sims, and McBride, and Vandersloot is just joining now in France (I assume?) so I don't have any idea who gets selected. Handicapping it, I would put McBride at about 20% just because she is not really a PG and Vandersloot at maybe 20% because she missed this time - that leaves the other two splitting 30% each.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Maybe I am in the minority, maybe not, but I do not see either Sims and especially Diggins as being in the same leadership class as Bird. You have DT and Whalen, along with Bird, who can run this team. Who can assume that Sims and Diggins will be those in consideration in the future, USA could go in a different direction.
Being at camp can go both ways, USA could also see things they don't like!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So, you posted this opinion just to start something?

I like it....lol.

I remember you posting that you are only 25. Not being a Uconn fan, you might not have been following them back in the ice age when Bird was the best point guard in the world.

She's only 34 and is every bit as good as these young whippersnappers.

You'd really cut the captain of the team?

You have to be the only person on this board that thinks that.

Nah, I posted it because it was my honest opinion. I just knew that I wasn't going to find much agreement.

I didn't follow women's basketball closely when Bird was at her best by I know that reputation of hers and her statistics going back are impressive. They weren't as impressive last year, though.

I didn't know she was the captain. That obviously carries weight. But you could appoint a new captain. Taurasi would be a fine choice.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If the team has a captain, Sue seemed to be it when she came out to deliver the "welcome/thanks for your support" introduction before the game. Don't know whether that was televised.
Yes, Bird is the captain. Probably along with DT. It was Bird/DT/Catchings. Now it's Bird/DT's team. After the USA-USA scrimmage, it was Bird who called everyone (both teams) in for word after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom