USA U23 National Team Invitees Named | The Boneyard

USA U23 National Team Invitees Named

Reaction Score
it's a good list but what do they need 40 players in camp for? each of those players is well known in what they did in college for the last few seasons...I would have chosen only 20 to fight for the 12 spots...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How long before someone points out Diamond DeShields is not on the list.

Urkel.gif

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just based on lack of college play the past few years, I'm surprised Jatarie White received an invite.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
it's a good list but what do they need 40 players in camp for? each of those players is well known in what they did in college for the last few seasons...I would have chosen only 20 to fight for the 12 spots...
I think it is a chance for the USA family to get a new look at the creme of college players on the same court trying to follow the same script. The college programs and their teammates are so varied and for most they haven't been to Colorado since they were HS seniors.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So Kelsey Mitchell is going back to USA Basketball after saying:
"I kind of expected it," said the 5-foot-8 combo guard. "Before I came out here, people said it was really political." "They expect you to run plays, not run the ball," Mitchell said. "That's not my game. If you get an opportunity to score, you should score. This just isn't for me."
"I'm not upset. I'm not mad at the committee. That's on them." She reiterated that she would decline another invitation from USA Basketball.

HoopGurlz: Kelsey Mitchell is cut at USA U16 trials

Reaction Score
Whoa. That is one heckuva list. You could make two outstanding teams and play the championship game USA v USA and still have a decent 3 x 3 team from the left overs. That's a pretty deep roster.

Would this be Gabby's first USA basketball team if she makes it?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I kind of expected it," said the 5-foot-8 combo guard. "Before I came out here, people said it was really political." "They expect you to run plays, not run the ball," Mitchell said. "That's not my game. If you get an opportunity to score, you should score. This just isn't for me."
"I'm not upset. I'm not mad at the committee. That's on them." She reiterated that she would decline another invitation from USA Basketball.

Kelsey, be true to yourself and decline! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Who else do you think makes the team besides Collier, Samuelson, Stevens, and Williams?

just add Wilson, K Brown, Billings, Canada, Ionescu, Slocum, Hines-Allen and I'm good...............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Jamie Nared is a senior. Mercedes Russell is a senior +. Vivians, Canada, Greenwell?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

She was invited back in 2015 and declined that invitation. Maybe her maturity as a person has helped her see that it's a beneficial experience.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just based on lack of college play the past few years, I'm surprised Jatarie White received an invite.
Agree. Cox and Mompremier have accomplished much more in college than White did in her time at South Carolina.

Reaction Score
This is why they invited 40 players.

From USAB:

"During training camp .... the participants will be divided into four teams that will compete in a round-robin tournament that results in semifinals and gold and bronze medal games.
On Aug. 3, the day will start with semifinal games at 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., followed by a training camp session at 12:30 p.m. and then one-hour team practices for each of the teams from 4-8 p.m. The final day of training camp on Aug. 4 will feature a bronze medal game at 8 a.m., a gold medal game at 9:30 a.m. and the official USA U23 National Team expected to be announced early that afternoon."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is why they invited 40 players.

From USAB:

"During training camp .... the participants will be divided into four teams that will compete in a round-robin tournament that results in semifinals and gold and bronze medal games.
On Aug. 3, the day will start with semifinal games at 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., followed by a training camp session at 12:30 p.m. and then one-hour team practices for each of the teams from 4-8 p.m. The final day of training camp on Aug. 4 will feature a bronze medal game at 8 a.m., a gold medal game at 9:30 a.m. and the official USA U23 National Team expected to be announced early that afternoon."
Actually, this sheds much more light on the selected players. There are only a few players ( Tenice Martin, McPhee, Sophie Cunningham & Channon Flukner) that will not have a College ( former or present) or former USA basketball teammate among the invited players. They wanted the players to be very familiar with each other because games start very early.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

People change over the course of six years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
People change over the course of six years.
Of course some do. Some even change over the course of 2 years or since 2015 when Mitchell again no thanks to a USA basketball invitation.
But some don't and some actually mean what they say no matter how long ago they said it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
  1. K. Anigwe
  2. K.Brown
  3. L. Brown
  4. J. Canada
  5. N. Collier
  6. A. Durr
  7. K. Mitchell
  8. K. Samuelson
  9. A. Stevens
  10. V. Vivians
  11. G. Williams
  12. A. Wilson
My prediction.

Very reasonable list. Of the ND contingent, I expect Arike O has the best chance with the other 3 (Shepard, Young, Mabrey) being longshots.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Of course some do. Some even change over the course of 2 years or since 2015 when Mitchell again no thanks to a USA basketball invitation.
But some don't and some actually mean what they say no matter how long ago they said it.

I'm sure she meant what she said at the time she said it.

I'd hate to be held to everything I said as a 16-year-old. Maybe you had the world all figured out then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom