USA U-19 Team | The Boneyard

USA U-19 Team

Reaction Score
This is a very insignificant piece of news that nonetheless brought me a smile.

The heavily favored USA U19 squad, led by Calipari, was upset today by Canada and super efficient and skilled Hamidou Diallo put up 8 points on 2-11 shooting.

Calipari is the 1st USA coach to lose a game in international competition since Paul Hewitt in 2011.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if Cal was recruiting Barrett while getting stomped by him

Reaction Score
Anyone have a box score?

I'm curious if shittu of iggy b were playing. Also I think quickly might be on team USA, and we just made his top 7 today.

Before boneyarders go crazy--yes I know they're all long shots. Particularly quickly

Reaction Score
Anyone have a box score?

I'm curious if shittu of iggy b were playing. Also I think quickly might be on team USA, and we just made his top 7 today.

Before boneyarders go crazy--yes I know they're all long shots. Particularly quickly
Canada v United States of America - 8 Jul - FIBA.basketball

No Shittu or Brazdeikis. Reddish an abysmal -24 for the US. Quickley already cut his list to 4 and we're not on it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Love to see any cal couched team lose.

Sometimes The Squid coaches like he would rather be on a couch
Yeah the guy can "recruit" even though Kentucky has more to o with it than most think - it's 1 and done University so that's what he attracts - but he does has that attraction
He still hasn't won the big one without a Davis as The Picker hasn't won one without a Melo

Reaction Score
Lots of grumbling that he didn't take the best team he could have taken - he took the best team he could have taken while recruiting for Kentucky basketball.

Shocking. A lot of the best incoming freshman are already older than 19 but the roster is still far weaker than it should be.

Compare to Sean Miller who cut TJ Leaf and Tyler Dorsey while both were UA verbals.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
from reddit
Obvious. He played the recruits instead of the best players. Diallo was embarrassing but didn't get pulled. Barrett abused reddish and king over and over and over. Pritchard was team usa's best player and quickley got the key minutes. Didn't make any adjustments at all, the announcers were practically screaming for pressure with wiggington out, but it came way too late and the players couldn't execute once it did.

Reaction Score
This outcome makes me question whether someone who could have a direct conflict of interest should even be considered for the U19 coaching position. I'm sure Team USA could find a capable coach outside the college setting. And even if that person has some influence on the recruits (e.g., Calhoun coaching the team and steering guys towards UConn), at least that person won't have a direct conflict between their day job and their job as Team USA coach.

Reaction Score
Paul Hewitt, huh? At least Cal's in good company.

Funny, I was just wondering the other day how Derrick Favors wound up at Georgia Tech. If Hewitt was coaching that team circa 2011, that would make sense.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sometimes The Squid coaches like he would rather be on a couch
Yeah the guy can "recruit" even though Kentucky has more to o with it than most think - it's 1 and done University so that's what he attracts - but he does has that attraction
He still hasn't won the big one without a Davis as The Picker hasn't won one without a Melo

Squid is bigger than UK, IMO. Sounds crazy, perhaps, but I think it's true.

Tubby got one title but couldn't make it last. Gillespie was a disaster.

Calapari took UMass and Memphis to the Final 4 (all jokes aside) and now UK is a juggernaut. The guy's slimy as hell and I don't think he's great with the Xs and Os but he could literally go to ANY D1 school in America at this point and bring in a top-10 class. I have no doubt. The kids think he's a magician.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom