USA Today- UConn's Ollie has little time, but big opportunity | The Boneyard

USA Today- UConn's Ollie has little time, but big opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This quote by Geno is terrific.
I think it's hard for anybody to say Kevin Ollie is going to be a good coach, a mediocre coach or a great coach. He's been a coach for exactly two years. The only thing can you judge him on right now is the character, what he stands for, what kind of human being he is and how he treats people. In that respect, he's on his way to the Hall of Fame.

Reaction Score
"On Sept. 13, just a month before he was set to begin his 27th season at UConn, Jim Calhoun announced his retirement. The timing was nothing if not calculated."

I was there on that road in Madison on that fateful August day. I was standing on a little hill of grass. I saw Calhoun coming down the road, it was wide open, no cars. Across the street from me, there was a man with an umbrella, even though it was sunny out, not a cloud in the sky. As Calhoun approached, I noticed a patch of sand on the right side of the road. I thought he could easily steer around the thing, but when he rode up fast, it became clear that he was headed right for it. Was it stubbornness? Or was he deliberately heading for the sand patch? If the latter, how long had he planned this? All these thoughts occurred to me as the ambulance took Calhoun away. And as I walked from the scene, I noticed that the man with the umbrella was no longer in sight.

Reaction Score
Connecticut talent the last few years:

Andre Drummond
Kris Dunn
Kuran Iverson
Tyler Olander
Jordan Williams
Kahlil Dukes
Pascal Chukwu
Kahari Beaufort
Allan Chaney

Not top of the world, but not nothing either. A couple NBA guys as well.

Reaction Score
meh, didn't really care for the tone of the article, but then again I can't stand Wolken so I'm sure my bias is playing a part in that. the way the article was presented makes it sound like KO faces long odds to even get a contract when its becoming obvious that Warde isn't going to be the dude to break down the link b/w JC and the program and KO is in a good position to get the job. Didn't like the sarcastic tone of "2 hour love fest either". Wolken belongs in the same trash bin with Pat Forde imo.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned this before, but I think it is now about playing hard and having the current players complete a successful semester of school... If they do, then I think he has the job.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned this before, but I think it is now about playing hard and having the current players complete a successful semester of school... If they do, then I think he has the job.

The current players have already completed many semesters of school, and even the frosh have completed at least one semester as they took summer courses. Furthermore, academic staff are in place to make this happen. And, lastly, Manuel and Herbst know better than anyone else that the APR was related to students leaving mid-semester in the Spring.

I can't remember the last player to leave in the Fall. I'm sure it has happened. But almost every APR hit I can think of was a Spring-time departure.

Reaction Score
UConn plays in the center of the basketball universe. Great in-state talent, NYC and Boston are two hour car rides, and the Basketball hall of fame, waiting on Ray Allen is in a short hop away.

Reaction Score
The current players have already completed many semesters of school, and even the frosh have completed at least one semester as they took summer courses. Furthermore, academic staff are in place to make this happen. And, lastly, Manuel and Herbst know better than anyone else that the APR was related to students leaving mid-semester in the Spring.

I can't remember the last player to leave in the Fall. I'm sure it has happened. But almost every APR hit I can think of was a Spring-time departure.

Actually much of the APR was also from a transfer with low GPA and Dove not graduating...

My message was less about acing the APR for this term (UConn has had great single-year APR scores for the last 2 years), but about student-athletes doing well...
This isn't me preaching academics over athletics but rather an observation that if Herbst and Warde blocked Jordan Bell from a visit, they are clearly holding the Men's Basketball program to a higher standard now.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
meh, didn't really care for the tone of the article, but then again I can't stand Wolken so I'm sure my bias is playing a part in that. the way the article was presented makes it sound like KO faces long odds to even get a contract when its becoming obvious that Warde isn't going to be the dude to break down the link b/w JC and the program and KO is in a good position to get the job. Didn't like the sarcastic tone of "2 hour love fest either". Wolken belongs in the same trash bin with Pat Forde imo.

I'm surprised he took five minutes out of dooming the program back to the Yankee Conference to say something nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01