USA Today Reports on new Geno Contract | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USA Today Reports on new Geno Contract

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hmmm..."think again"...ok I will and I'll provide some factual content for my opinions.

Below are the highest paid college coaches in America. Geno is without a doubt the most successful coach in women's basketball. For purposes of comparison I will use arguably the most successful coaches of both men's football and men's basketball.

The 25 Highest-Paid College Coaches of 2017 | The Best Schools

Nick Saban is the HC of Alabama football and makes just under $7 million dollars per year. While under his tutelage Alabama football generated almost $95 million of revenue and over $53 million in surplus revenue. see link below... Doing some rough math shows that Nick Saban is paid about 7% of the total Alabama football revenue

Football revenue keeps Alabama rolling in dough

Coach Mike Krzyzewski is the HC for the Duke University men's basketball program and makes nearly $9.7 million per year. Last year the Duke men's basketball program brought in $27 million in revenue. Doing some quick math indicates that Coach K was paid approximately 36% of the total Duke basketball revenue.

March Madness: Is Coach K overpaid?

So how did you determine Geno's fair market value to be $20 million per year? $20 million is nearly triple Nick Saban's salary and more than double Coach K's salary. In fact, even using the higher Duke percentage of salary to total revenue ratio (36%), a women's basketball program under Geno would need to produce almost $57,000,000 in total revenue to justify a $20 million salary.

Obviously you are passionate about UConn women's basketball and Geno but your $20 million salary hyperbole has no quantifiable basis. It is literally a number you pulled out of thin air which is not how coaches salaries are determined.

While we may not like it, big time Div 1 sports, to include college basketball and football, are a business. This is why a mediocre men's football or basketball coach will make more than a truly unique, once in a lifetime women's coach. A mediocre coach at the men's level brings in money and Geno, who is the greatest coach in the world, coaches a program which overall loses money. It does not make Geno's accomplishments less remarkable and I love the UConn women as much as I love the UConn men regardless of the revenues. But it will effect the salaries.

So why would Indiana pay $20 million for Geno? Wouldn't Indiana be better off hiring Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh (all at the same time for about the same amount of money) to run their football program? In fact why stop there IU could hire Coach K, Kentucky Basketball Coach John Calipari and Kansas Basketball Coach Bill Self all at the same time for the same money. Geno is already the highest paid women's coach in the game but now Indiana is going raise his salary 6 times over which is more than double or triple the men's basketball and football top earners?

Coaches do not get paid for wins. Coaches get paid for the number of people willing to pay to watch their team. Winning just draws more viewers.

But hey, at least I thought again....
Even more interesting. If you'd EVEN BOTHERED to read the article it distinctly says Geno's contract is for 13m FOR A 5 Y EAR CONTRACT. My view was that as a free agent he should be worth 20m FOR A 5 YEAR CONTRACT. No, what coach in CBB is worth 20m a year? Over 5? Well, as a free agent that would easily be his worth. There is a difference in thinking, re-thinking, lazy thinking, and brain farting. I THINK I could hear your thought.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
What about Tara? She's ahead enough where he might not be able to close the gap on her.

Tara at this point has 1002? wins... She is a year older than Geno. The gap is 22 games between them... Tara's 38 year average is 26.36 per year; Geno's is 30.6. At the historical rates, he picks up 16 games on her in 4 years and in year 5 should surpass her even if she does not retire at 68.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Hmmm..."think again"...ok I will and I'll provide some factual content for my opinions.

Below are the highest paid college coaches in America. Geno is without a doubt the most successful coach in women's basketball. For purposes of comparison I will use arguably the most successful coaches of both men's football and men's basketball.

The 25 Highest-Paid College Coaches of 2017 | The Best Schools

Nick Saban is the HC of Alabama football and makes just under $7 million dollars per year. While under his tutelage Alabama football generated almost $95 million of revenue and over $53 million in surplus revenue. see link below... Doing some rough math shows that Nick Saban is paid about 7% of the total Alabama football revenue

Football revenue keeps Alabama rolling in dough

Coach Mike Krzyzewski is the HC for the Duke University men's basketball program and makes nearly $9.7 million per year. Last year the Duke men's basketball program brought in $27 million in revenue. Doing some quick math indicates that Coach K was paid approximately 36% of the total Duke basketball revenue.

March Madness: Is Coach K overpaid?

So how did you determine Geno's fair market value to be $20 million per year? $20 million is nearly triple Nick Saban's salary and more than double Coach K's salary. In fact, even using the higher Duke percentage of salary to total revenue ratio (36%), a women's basketball program under Geno would need to produce almost $57,000,000 in total revenue to justify a $20 million salary.

Obviously you are passionate about UConn women's basketball and Geno but your $20 million salary hyperbole has no quantifiable basis. It is literally a number you pulled out of thin air which is not how coaches salaries are determined.

While we may not like it, big time Div 1 sports, to include college basketball and football, are a business. This is why a mediocre men's football or basketball coach will make more than a truly unique, once in a lifetime women's coach. A mediocre coach at the men's level brings in money and Geno, who is the greatest coach in the world, coaches a program which overall loses money. It does not make Geno's accomplishments less remarkable and I love the UConn women as much as I love the UConn men regardless of the revenues. But it will effect the salaries.

So why would Indiana pay $20 million for Geno? Wouldn't Indiana be better off hiring Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh (all at the same time for about the same amount of money) to run their football program? In fact why stop there IU could hire Coach K, Kentucky Basketball Coach John Calipari and Kansas Basketball Coach Bill Self all at the same time for the same money. Geno is already the highest paid women's coach in the game but now Indiana is going raise his salary 6 times over which is more than double or triple the men's basketball and football top earners?

Coaches do not get paid for wins. Coaches get paid for the number of people willing to pay to watch their team. Winning just draws more viewers.

But hey, at least I thought again....
By the way, that was a lot of words just to say oops. Between you and I though, I think Saban would make a lousy BB coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By the way, that was a lot of words just to say oops. Between you and I though, I think Saban would make a lousy BB coach.

Ok apparently your $20 million figure was now meant to be over 5 years. Your figure is still based on nothing more than your own "I think" calculation

Yawn.......

JordyG

Reaction Score
Ok apparently your $20 million figure was now meant to be over 5 years. Your figure is still based on nothing more than your own "I think" calculation

Yawn..
Actually "now" you've finally caught on to the facts of the entire post. And if you don't think Geno could be paid 4m a year at MSU then I'm lost for words. However I'm glad you finally bothered to read the article. Progress is progress and I'll take it. Now then, perhaps you'd like to reconsider any idea of Jim Harbaugh coaching BB.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Or will he?
It put a smile on my face to see her make an appearance over here on this board. Not sure if she has before, but if so, I've always missed it.

Reaction Score
Geno is worth every penny of that contract and more. Where in this country would anyone talk about the University of Connecticut at all if it was not for the fame of the Women's basketball program. Certainly, the men's program cannot even compete, and the football program has been mediocre since I can remember back to the 1950's. Soccer has had its moments but does not get publicity.

I live in New Mexico, where the only thing going for it is the land. However, every time Connecticut women play basketball, there is a blurb either in the Santa Fe News or the Albuquerque Journal. There was more coverage about the 100th victory than the University of New Mexico men or women's basketball team.

In my opinion, they should have the men's basketball players go to every women's game and watch them play and learn something. From what I see, on the men's side, they don't play with the heart and intensity and spirit of the women.
Spot on.....

I'm have some involement in the world of drag racing and am a longtime member of the planet's No.1 drag racing board.

After the South Carolina victory, a thread about UCONN going 100 and oh appeared and it wasn't started by me. That's right, a thread about UCONN Women's Basketball on a DRAG RACING site and not just any drag racing site, THE drag racing site.

Think about that for a minute.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I dunno. Women's basketball is really big in The South. Baylor, Texas, Duke, Florida State, North Carolina (before the scandal)...Not sure why the conservative South would value women's sports so much, but they seem to. There must be bucks in it.
The question was about TN and none of the teams above. See the quote that was included.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom