USA Today has UMass higher rated than UConn | The Boneyard

USA Today has UMass higher rated than UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Husky92 said:
speechless...

how far we have fallen in perception...if not reality...

Not going to lose any sleep over it. ESPN had them higher than us too. Results on the field are more important than these rankings. There isn't much difference between no. 70 and no. 125.

Reaction Score
While I believe we are better, one need keep in mind that essentially the writer is looking at last year's records, returning starters, and taking a guess. Their (UMass) results last year against P%5 schools were better than ours.

Reaction Score
They have a proven college coach and a legit QB. We have a coach trying to find his way and no proven QB. U mass has a load of seniors coming back from a bad team but one that lost a lot of close games. They aren't good but neither are we.

Reaction Score
More bulletin board material for the locker room, "UMASS #109, UCONN #119". Hate to say this but if the O-line under performs....

Reaction Score
I don't think we can complain about being ranked behind anyone. We beat exactly 1 1a team last year. Our other win was a squeaker over a bad 1aa. We lost to Army and SMU for heaven sake. The only thing odd abouth the USA today rankings are that they found 9 teams worse.

Reaction Score
Well, let's go to the numbers (from Phil Steele):

UConn - 45.7% of yards returning, 84.6% tackles returning, 46 OL career starts (but take Crozier's 3 starts from that number)
UMass - 89.2% of yards returning, 81.9% tackles returning, 89 OL career starts

Before the 2015 games are played, UMass should be ranked higher than us to start the season, no question.

Reaction Score
We need to worry about Villanova never mind UMass. We will have a tough time with Nova I believe.
If DB is a lousy coach we will have a tough time with Nova.

If he is a decent coach, the game won't be close.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

He is responsible for fumbles, right?

Reaction Score

You into that last name first kind of thing, or is it a Freudian slip? Or do you believe BD is a DB?

You know very little about Nova, their coach, their QB and how they play. They are a tough out for almost 50% of the FBS schools. They know how to score points, they are exceptionally disciplined and their coach is as good as they come. They may be undersized at some positions but Uconn has not built the requisite FBS depth to just wear them down as of yet. Uconn needs to play focused and disciplined to win.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I think UMass is going to have a halfway decent season in the MAC this year. 6-6 and a bowl may happen for them. I have them going to the Camellia Bowl in my annual pre-season predictions.
Of course, my predictions are usually pretty lousy.

Reaction Score
You into that last name first kind of thing, or is it a Freudian slip? Or do you believe BD is a DB?

You know very little about Nova, their coach, their QB and how they play. They are a tough out for almost 50% of the FBS schools. They know how to score points, they are exceptionally disciplined and their coach is as good as they come. They may be undersized at some positions but Uconn has not built the requisite FBS depth to just wear them down as of yet. Uconn needs to play focused and disciplined to win.
FBS teams win games against FCS 85-90% of the time. When one loses it is big news precisely because it is so rare. That's also why those losses are embarrassing for the FBS team. So saying UConn should win is hardly like predicting the next roll at Foxwoods. Exactly 1 1aa school has a winning record vs 1as and it doesn't have a lot of games. Expecting to beat Villanova is sort of a minimum standard for our program. Below minimum really.

Reaction Score
He is responsible for fumbles, right?
Yes, he controls the personnel. The coach controls how and what they practice.

Example. Tiki Barber had a fumbling problem under Jim Fassel. When Tom Coughlin came in, he changed Tiki's method of holding the ball. Barber responded with only two fumbles he following season and his ball security was never an issue again.

So while your question was specious and off topic as a reply to my post, I'm such a great guy I answered that silly question too.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Yes, he controls the personnel. The coach controls how and what they practice.

Example. Tiki Barber had a fumbling problem under Jim Fassel. When Tom Coughlin came in, he changed Tiki's method of holding the ball. Barber responded with only two fumbles he following season and his ball security was never an issue again.

So while your question was specious and off topic as a reply to my post, I'm such a great guy I answered that silly question too.

I think it is on topic...not everyone would agree that the coach is responsible for a 19 year old fumbling the football; and turnovers could make a score close even if one team was dominant over the other.

If DB is a lousy coach we will have a tough time with Nova. - a couple of fumbles could make the score much closer than it should be. Wanted to make sure I knew specifically where the blame may go if that occurs.

Reaction Score
There is only one way to measure success: WINS. Some people on this board have us bowling, the media has us one of the worst rated teams in the country. I don't know who to believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom