USA Today Coaches poll now out | The Boneyard

USA Today Coaches poll now out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am especially interested and excited for the Stanford matchup. 1 vs 2 is always fun. However, I get concerned because Tara is such an amazing coach who creates flawless game plans. She will have her team ready for any challenge Uconn will present. I still favor uconn to win, just too much talent spread over every position. The Baylor game also scares me. Baylor is talented and the "Griner Effect" always plays a huge role. If the 3 point shot isn't falling, Baylor could come away with a W. That being said, I am excited for this team to start playing teams like Stanford, Baylor, Duke, Penn St, Maryland, ND and Louisville.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I know its early in the season but I am just a little bit surprised that ND is ranked that high.

I dont have their schedule in front of me but Im interested to see if they will be tested anywhere before the Big East. I think they have Baylor coming up but anyone else?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Patience folks, it will all come out in the wash.

Reaction Score
I know its early in the season but I am just a little bit surprised that ND is ranked that high.

I dont have their schedule in front of me but Im interested to see if they will be tested anywhere before the Big East. I think they have Baylor coming up but anyone else?

You can click on their name above to see their schedule.
They've beaten Ohio St & UCLA, and have Purdue & Baylor to come before Jan 5th matchup with UConn.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm just curious why UConn lost 1st place votes. Did they have to beat Purdue by 40 to keep them?

I think they lost 3 first place votes. Last week it was 17,12,2. This week it's 21,9,1.
I don't know what Stanford did over the last week but apparently it impressed the coaches.

On edit - I peeked - Stanford didn't burn any barns last week. They did beat perennial powerhouse Long Beach State (Sagarin 159) by 30 or so.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm just curious why UConn lost 1st place votes. Did they have to beat Purdue by 40 to keep them?
Some voters just decide to go with the flow once it's established who #1 is under the assumption that the masses have spoken and they'll accept that opinion for the time being. I think it's dumb, but it happens. People like order.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Some voters just decide to go with the flow once it's established who #1 is under the assumption that the masses have spoken and they'll accept that opinion for the time being. I think it's dumb, but it happens. People like order.
Sportswriters I could understand. Coaches not so much.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Sagarin has UConn rated #1 with ND a semi distant second. ND's high ranking is probably because of their 4-0 schedule that included 2 top 25 teams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've already stated my opinion on the voters.

Reaction Score
Sportswriters I could understand. Coaches not so much.

Actually it's the reverse. The coaches poll is a scam. There all sorts of stories of the coaches never watching any of the games or they just let someone on staff do the voting. And they tend to stick with a very narrow: win=move up, lose=move down philosophy, regardless of opponents.

The sportswriters actually follow the games, and are more likely to rate based on their impressions.

Reaction Score
I am especially interested and excited for the Stanford matchup. 1 vs 2 is always fun. However, I get concerned because Tara is such an amazing coach who creates flawless game plans. She will have her team ready for any challenge Uconn will present. I still favor uconn to win, just too much talent spread over every position. The Baylor game also scares me. Baylor is talented and the "Griner Effect" always plays a huge role. If the 3 point shot isn't falling, Baylor could come away with a W. That being said, I am excited for this team to start playing teams like Stanford, Baylor, Duke, Penn St, Maryland, ND and Louisville.

There is a chance Stanford won't be #1 on Dec. 29th as we could lose at the Zags this Sun. or at TN in mid Dec.

The discussion regarding rankings now (or in Feb., March or April) has no barring on the big picture, which is, unless the entire UConn team comes down with a mysterious illness in late March, they will be the #1 seed in Bridgeport and will advance to New Orleans with little effort, and probably will be favored to win it all.

Icebear- is the lack of hyperbole; and organization and focus good for you?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My comment was simply a tease, a prod, and a nod aimed towards the many men on the board who are given to such arts of prevarication. I plead guilty to this malady and find it quite helpful in turning a point in my professional responsibilities. This in contrast to the distaff members of the board who often seem to be better at keeping it real. Maybe it is the result of millennia of fishing and hunting stories. Such is the curse and burden of carrying forward testosterone for the good of the species.

BTW, two buddies had fished together for years. And were given to be quite competitive in recounting their exploits from the streams. One of the two always seemed to get the upper hand in the telling of tales always seeming to catch the bigger fish after the bigger battle. Finally, exasperated the one said the the guy who always seemed to be on the shorter end of things resolved to get the best of the situation. Sitting down next to his buddy at their favorite watering hole. "Well, Dave, I think I, finally, topped you today I caught the big one today. It was this big," as he held his hands about two feet apart. Aww, drolled Dave that ain't so much I just caught a three footer tip to tale up at the lake. To which the first guy replied, "Dave, I meant between the eyes."

Reaction Score
My comment was simply a tease, a prod, and a nod towards the many men on the board who are given to such arts of prevarication. This in contrast to the distaff members of the board who often seem to be better at keeping it real. Maybe it is the result of millennia of fishing and hunting stories. Such is the curse and burden of carrying forward testosterone for the good of the species.

I got that. I was being sarcastic. Distaff? I can't stand that term.

Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic because Doggydaddydude thought my posts were a "little" masculine, so I thought keeping it real would help him, and you. UConn will be in New Orleans and will be favored to win it all.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I got that. I was being sarcastic. Distaff? I can't stand that term.
I was being very sarcastic, as well. I used the term, distaff, because it fit the archaic tone of my post and the art of prevarication. I hope you didn't think I was chiding you. The opposite was quite true.

Reaction Score
I was being very sarcastic, as well. I used the term, distaff, because it fit the archaic tone of my post and the art of prevarication. I hope you didn't think I was chiding you. The opposite was quite true.

No, I didn't think you were chiding me. It's all good.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Chiding...I hate that term! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog