USA stats...Lou belongs, Stef can't miss & Tina doubles... | The Boneyard

USA stats...Lou belongs, Stef can't miss & Tina doubles...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Lou belongs.jpg

USA beat Brasil (yes, that is how it is correctly spelled) 89-73 to raise their record to 4-0 in Group play and reach the semi-final at the FIBA AmeriCup. USA will meet Puerto Rico at 8 pm on Saturday. Canada plays Brasil at 5:30 pm in the other semi-final. Canada vs Brasil should be a tough game. Puerto Rico's two best players are 5'5" and USA's height and depth will be an issue even though the game is in San Juan.

Katie Lou has proved the skeptics wrong by leading the USA team with 8 made threes, including 3 against Brasil. Ogunbowale and DeShields each have 5 made threes, although Arike is still mired in a slump making only 29% of her threes and 60% of her free throws. It also turns out Lou is the rebounding Samuelson as her 19 boards are tied for 4th on the team with Olivia. :cool:

Stef Dolson is shooting an amazing 18-19 or 95% from inside the arc.
:) Her 39 points are 4th highest on the team, just ahead of Lou's 36. Opponents have had trouble matching up with USA's "twin towers" lineup of two centers playing together. Syl, Tina, Stef, Olivia and Liz Williams are too much for the shorter South American teams. Combined, those 5 players are shooting 70-104 or 67% from inside the arc and have 109 rebounds.

Tina Charles saved her best effort for the tough Brasil game with a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds. For anyone wondering why Charles is on the team, she is 2nd on the squad in assists (15), 2nd in rebounding (23) and shooting 50% from the field (11-22). On a team missing many stars due to injury or WNBA playoffs, Tina provides senior leadership that is critical.

Give the USA committee that picked this squad credit. Despite missing Maya, Diana, Sue, Elena and Stewie, USA is dominating with only minimal practice time together. They have balanced scoring, inside and out, and 116 assists on 158 baskets (73%). Share the ball and share the Gold. ;)

Go USA..!!

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
View attachment 46701

Give the USA committee that picked this squad credit. Despite missing Maya, Diana, Sue, Elena and Stewie, USA is dominating despite minimal practice time together. They have balanced scoring, inside and out, and 116 assists on 158 baskets (73%). Share the ball and share the gold.

Go USA..!!
The assist number, I knew was high by watching how the games were played. However 73% is outstanding for not having any time, 2 or 3 days together in Miami.
For comparison purposes I always thought UConn teams were one, if not the best, examples of assists to baskets made. These are the percentages for the last 4 years UConn teams:
2018/19 64%
2017/18 66%
2016/17 71%
2015/16 63%

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
View attachment 46701

USA beat Brasil (yes, that is how it is correctly spelled) 89-73 to raise their record to 4-0 in Group play and reach the semi-final at the FIBA AmeriCup. USA will meet Puerto Rico at 8 pm on Saturday on ESPN+. Canada plays Brasil at 5:30 pm in the other semi-final. Canada vs Brasil should be a tough game. Puerto Rico's two best players are 5'5" and USA's height and depth will be an issue even though the game is in San Juan.

Katie Lou proved the skeptics wrong by leading the USA team with 8 made threes, including 3 against Brasil. Ogunbowale and DeShields each have 5 made threes, although Arike is still mired in a slump making only 29% of her threes and 60% of her free throws. It also turns out Lou is the rebounding Samuelson as her 19 boards are tied for 4th on the team with Olivia. :cool:

Stef Dolson is shooting an amazing 18-19 or 95% from inside the arc.
:) Her 39 points are 4th highest on the team, just ahead of Lou's 36. Opponents have had trouble matching up with USA's "twin towers" lineup of two centers playing together. Syl, Tina, Stef, Olivia and Liz Williams are too much for the shorter South American teams. Combined, those 5 players are shooting 70-104 or 67% from inside the arc.

Tina Charles saved her best effort for the tough Brasil game with a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds. For anyone wondering why Charles is on the team, she is 2nd on the squad in assists (15), 2nd in rebounding (23) and shooting 50% from the field (11-22). On a team missing many stars due to injury or WNBA playoffs, Tina provides senior leadership that is critical.

Give the USA committee that picked this squad credit. Despite missing Maya, Diana, Sue, Elena and Stewie, USA is dominating with only minimal practice time together. They have balanced scoring, inside and out, and 116 assists on 158 baskets (73%). Share the ball and share the Gold. ;)

Go USA..!!
Great recap! Much appreciated and I would only add that just because one knucklehead was cluelessly mistaken in his grasp of passed USA teams and contributions, no one else is questioning Tina Charles ON ANYTHING!. Head bang

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have nothing to add other than to thank David for putting together those stats. I was talking with Milford about it, and aside from Sessions (whose inclusion is still a head scratcher - the only thing we could come up with is that putting CWilliams on the team would have meant literally half the team (6 out of 12) would have been UCONN products, and the only 2 collegians would have also been UCONN products.

Some of the players on the team now are possibly or likely future Olympians (Collier, Deshields, Samuelson, Ogunbowale, ONO, and possibly Canada). Others are for the most part fillers (Dolson, Williams Sykes), and one is just mystifying (Sessions). Charles and Fowles are probably on Team USA for as long as they want (like Sue and Dee).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe not wondering if Tina has the ability to play/be on the team, but moreso if her play (based on her last WNBA season) would get her a spot.
6th in the league in scoring and 11th in rebounding? The problem is coaching and lack of a balanced roster in New York. Tina is still a great player who draws the focus of the opposing defense.

Reaction Score
6th in the league in scoring and 11th in rebounding? The problem is coaching and lack of a balanced roster in New York. Tina is still a great player who draws the focus of the opposing defense.
No question she’s a great player and the Liberty NEED to get a coach that can build around Tina, but her fg% was the lowest of her career. That’s the main thing I was referencing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No question she’s a great player and the Liberty NEED to get a coach that can build around Tina, but her fg% was the lowest of her career. That’s the main thing I was referencing.
Yeah, FG % was low. Agreed. With more support, she can take better shots.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So Geno Italian name Veteran at the UPS store in Belgrade MT - I was in there yesterday ... and I start to ask hima question by saying Geno and he throws his hands up in the air (we'd been talking just shared memory stuff)...and hethrows his hands up in the air and says: Auriemma. I peer at his chest. Your name is Auriemma. No, but I'm Italian to and love the guy. Mind you I had not said a word about the Huskies. He backs up and does Phee's fade away jumper!! This guy is like 67, about Geno's age, but XMilitary and hard as nails. He: "In Geno we trust." Me. "Geno is the Basketball God." " He.: He is God!" Then he is talking really fast about f0llowing them forever and they play his ball and it is just the best ball there is." Me: "Amen brother to that" And he keeps going... turns out he was a Good Morning Vietnam type Radio jockey for the US and worked a lot of different bases all over the world. He's still calling local hockey games in the semipro league I think. What a rich deep baritone. And I asked him if it was Just in the Vietnam "Conflict" "War' [ Potato tomato, don't let politics ruin thisthread folks.]

He said ""Hell No. You worked it hard for our people in uniform."

What a wonderful guy. And it does give credence to the Huskies have fans everywhere.

I'll talk with him about some of his favorite players next time I'm in and report back if he's good with it.

Reaction Score
I have nothing to add other than to thank David for putting together those stats. I was talking with Milford about it, and aside from Sessions (whose inclusion is still a head scratcher - the only thing we could come up with is that putting CWilliams on the team would have meant literally half the team (6 out of 12) would have been UCONN products, and the only 2 collegians would have also been UCONN products.

Some of the players on the team now are possibly or likely future Olympians (Collier, Deshields, Samuelson, Ogunbowale, ONO, and possibly Canada). Others are for the most part fillers (Dolson, Williams Sykes), and one is just mystifying (Sessions). Charles and Fowles are probably on Team USA for as long as they want (like Sue and Dee).

There may be an unwritten rule with team USA selection of UConn players...there could only be a max of 5 on the 12 member team. There may also be another unwritten rule that only 4 of them could be on court at one time. Unless both rules have been broken, I will be reminded in short order. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There may an unwritten rule with team USA selection of UConn players...there could only be a max of 5 on the 12 member team. There may also be another unwritten rule that only 4 of them could be on court at one time. Unless both rules have been broken, I will be reminded in short order. :rolleyes:

In Bridgeport, when Geno was coaching the USA team, he started the all-time UConn starting five - DT, Sue, Tina, Maya and Stewie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom