USA Serbia - game on! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USA Serbia - game on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
where is the Turkey team? Do they have another thread?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Great game for Serbia. Then their legs gave out.

Depth and timeliness help US - Maya handed it to Diana who handed it to Lindsay. Nice nice work.

If only we could play five quarter games....

I love these announcers - mispronunciations aside. They actually call the game, notice actions and strategies... And yes, they were told - working off an OLD pronunciation guide out of Sacto. But, hard to unlearn what you learn. And can you imagine the US announcers trying to hand the non-US names. Talk about a mangle-fest!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Great game for Serbia. Then their legs gave out.

Depth and timeliness help US - Maya handed it to Diana who handed it to Lindsay. Nice nice work.

If only we could play five quarter games....

I love these announcers - mispronunciations aside. They actually call the game, notice actions and strategies... And yes, they were told - working off an OLD pronunciation guide out of Sacto. But, hard to unlearn what you learn. And can you imagine the US announcers trying to hand the non-US names. Talk about a mangle-fest!

Agreed that the quality of the game calling really trumps any name mispronunciation faux pas for me.

Reaction Score
USA with 21 turnovers against Serbia. Very careless with the ball. As stated above, the game was much closer than the final score indicates.
Should work on defending the pick and roll (It seems we never have the defender jump out on the pick) .

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with announcers.......Serbia has a nice team....Why cry USA won no problem at the end.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Well, I know that Diana had at least 5 three point shots...and I know she got a couple more
Lyndsey had a full stat sheet, and Maya did get a double double.
USA outrebounded Serbia as well

I cannot find a box score, but as soon as I do I will clarify.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Stewie & Sims get 40 seconds of PT today.

You could see why...

It makes sense to me that these new players get minutes after the game is decided so that they can continue to work on plays and learn. Eventually they will work into the regular rotation. On tight games like this, particularly a physical one, that can't happen.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Top scorer was Dee who shot 5 - 7 from 3
had a total of 20 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, two turnovers and one steal.
Maya had a great game, 3 of 6 from three, 17 points, 12 rebounds and 6 assists.
Tina and Brittney had good games, 10 points each, although Tina shot 5 of 12 and BG shot 4 of 5.
Brit passed out of the paint as she was smushed by at least two players each time she got the ball. The rest of their stat sheets were pretty full, too, each with an assist, 7 and 10 rebounds respectively giving Brit a double double,each with a steal and 1 and 2 blocked shots respectively.

Most notable was the turnovers, USA 21 to Serbia's 9 (ouch) and the total number of steals were USA 5 to Serbia 13

Ouch.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Three highlights:

1. DT got 20 points
2. Maya scored 17
3. My word, the blond Dabovic for Serbia was unspeakably , breath-takingly beautiful.

Reaction Score
You could see why...

It makes sense to me that these new players get minutes after the game is decided so that they can continue to work on plays and learn. Eventually they will work into the regular rotation. On tight games like this, particularly a physical one, that can't happen.

Minutes? They played 40 seconds. Makes no sense to bring them in at that point. Sooner, or not at all.

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Minutes? They played 40 seconds. Makes no sense to bring them in at that point. Sooner, or not at all.
ok, coach....

just to clarify what I apparently didn't, in the China game, they got more minutes because the game was decided earlier and they got in and could work on their game.
This game they got in...period. They can say they "played" in the Serbia game and not much else.

This of course is my opinion, but I will bet that I am right.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Of note are the TOs... there will be some work done on bringing the ball up under pressure... I saw a TO because US couldn't get the ball in, right? Ooof!

I think Geno tried to get those folks in earlier, but the play on the court didn't allow it..

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Of note are the TOs... there will be some work done on bringing the ball up under pressure... I saw a TO because US couldn't get the ball in, right? Ooof!

I think Geno tried to get those folks in earlier, but the play on the court didn't allow it..

Answer for TO problem in one word: MoJeff...!!!!!!! :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have to say ... I hate this starting line-up. BG and Tina are playing well but I would much rather have a real forward start next to either one of them. They just don't play that well together, and are having real problems on the defensive end.
Dupree has been playing very strong, Nneka did not have a great game today, but has been solid.

Reaction Score
I love Sue Bird to death, but she looked a step slow and out of sorts against the Serbs, struggling with the defensive pressure and making several bad decisions with the ball. On the other hand, Whalen was great, showed her super skills with the ball and got the team running in transition consistently. Gotta admit it, Lindsay absolutely deserves the start at the point. By far, team USA's two best players today were Maya (who did it ALL and hustles relentlessly) and Taurasi, whose unequaled intensity and will-to-win was as important as the five treys she made. Those two are THE most ferocious competitors and in spite of all the Griner-hype. it is they who will take USA to the gold.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the game, several players on both teams seemed to have trouble with the ball. Cat wondered if there was something physically wrong with the ball, as if it was slippery. It definitely looked like it.

I thought Sue looked off a bit--not because she is too old or slow, but because of a couple of mental lapses. She is also not as strong as Lindsay. Serbia was very physical, to the point were Geno and Dee got technicals and several players, including Sue and Lindsay, were VERY pi$$ed. Lindsay was able to play through the contact because of her strength, but fouls could have been called on most possessions. Several players almost lost the ball in addition to the actual turnovers.

Dee looked for her shot a little more tonight and she absolutely lined up some threes, as did Maya earlier in the game. Both of them made the game look easy. No one hustles like Maya. She chased down a Serbian on a breakaway layup and either deflected it or pressured the player into a miss. Maya was a good 10' behind her near half court, but caught up to her over 45'. It was vintage Maya Moore. No one else does that.

The U.S. played much better defense in the second half, slowing the player who had 22 at the half. The free throw defense was poor, however. We got called for some minor fouls, and Serbia shot 20-21 or something like that.

Stewie and Odyssey did not play much at all (40 secs). I thought 9 of the others played well. Angel was the exception. She was overly aggressive on defense and picked up 3 fouls in limited minutes. She just seemed to be out of sorts tonight. By her standards, it was a very bad night. I look for her to bounce back on Tuesday.

It has been a huge amount of fun to watch the games in person, from good seats, near the Team USA contingent that includes Kathy Auriemma. She is as nice and personable as everyone says.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree that Sue has not been playing like her usual self, especially the mental lapses which are very unlike her. I would like to see more of Odyssey Sims in a game like this. She can deal with physical play, would be the fastest player on the floor, and would probably get a few steals that Sue and Lindsey aren't going to get. She would penetrate as well as Lindsey and shoot the 3 at least as well as Sue.

I can only speculate that she isn't learning the offensive and defensive systems as quickly as is needed to get in the game and contribute. Her physical skills are the best of the 3 PG's at this point.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the game, several players on both teams seemed to have trouble with the ball. Cat wondered if there was something physically wrong with the ball, as if it was slippery. It definitely looked like it.

I thought Sue looked off a bit--not because she is too old or slow, but because of a couple of mental lapses. She is also not as strong as Lindsay. Serbia was very physical, to the point were Geno and Dee got technicals and several players, including Sue and Lindsay, were VERY pi ed. Lindsay was able to play through the contact because of her strength, but fouls could have been called on most possessions. Several players almost lost the ball in addition to the actual turnovers.

Dee looked for her shot a little more tonight and she absolutely lined up some threes, as did Maya earlier in the game. Both of them made the game look easy. No one hustles like Maya. She chased down a Serbian on a breakaway layup and either deflected it or pressured the player into a miss. Maya was a good 10' behind her near half court, but caught up to her over 45'. It was vintage Maya Moore. No one else does that.

The U.S. played much better defense in the second half, slowing the player who had 22 at the half. The free throw defense was poor, however. We got called for some minor fouls, and Serbia shot 20-21 or something like that.

Stewie and Odyssey did not play much at all (40 secs). I thought 9 of the others played well. Angel was the exception. She was overly aggressive on defense and picked up 3 fouls in limited minutes. She just seemed to be out of sorts tonight. By her standards, it was a very bad night. I look for her to bounce back on Tuesday.

It has been a huge amount of fun to watch the games in person, from good seats, near the Team USA contingent that includes Kathy Auriemma. She is as nice and personable as everyone says.

That play by Maya was Déjà vu - we have seen her do that more than once at UConn. I knew that the TF's were because the the excessive physical play. There was so much that wasn't being called it was unbelievable. I don't think that the US expected it to carry on for the while game, honestly.

I agree about Angel. I was really surprised at the kinds of shots she took and so on. It was not the same Angel we saw play at the Olympics to say the least. I hope she can straighten out.

I envy your opportunity in Turkey. What a wonderful experience!

Reaction Score
I must disagree with you, MilfordHusky- Maya's incredible hustle chasing down the Serb and deflecting a gimme layup was outstanding, and typical Maya. But to this day I have seen nothing comparable to Stewie running down Betnijah Laney from a good thirty or forty feet in the Rutgers game and swatting her breakaway layup attempt into the cheap seats. Now THAT was sick!

Reaction Score
Whalen, Tuna, Dee, Dupree and Seimone

We have Taurasi Time....shoots and makes a 3

RADY: excellent job and quite interesting. You should be in the booth. Perhaps you've noticed that I have a proclivity for injecting what I take to be a bit of humor from time to time, and to that end I'll note my hope that:

the "Tuna" showed some fin-esse at times. (That should set the table for a few others of you old salts to weigh in.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom