USA: New leadership emerging in run-up to world championship | The Boneyard

USA: New leadership emerging in run-up to world championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Playing senior-level international basketball for the first time can certainly be an education.

“It’s a much more physical game, so you need to be ready for that,” says Sue Bird, who at 33 could become the first American woman to make four World Championship teams. “It wasn’t until I played overseas that I really understood what that was like.”

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Playing senior-level international basketball for the first time can certainly be an education.

“It’s a much more physical game, so you need to be ready for that,” says Sue Bird, who at 33 could become the first American woman to make four World Championship teams. “It wasn’t until I played overseas that I really understood what that was like.”
A very important point I think with WNBA rookies and Stewart and Diggins who as far as I can see chose not to play overseas last year. (Does anyone know why she made that decision?) It is not dissimilar to the transition most HS students deal with in college - Stewart took most of a year to come to terms with the physicality of the college game.
It is an interesting thing, because the touch fouls still get called, but the body contact allowed is much greater. It is an adjustment for all USA players, men and women and maybe harder for the men because if they are good enough for the USA team they generally never play overseas except in these tournaments.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
She had a disappointing, near disastrous rookie season and made the intelligent decision to work on her game and strengthen her bod.

The results are apparent for all to see.

In addition, the transition from the tough college season to the pros straightaway, was a bit much physically for her and furthermore, she had opportunities to make endorsement money and do some work on her brand.

All in all, a very wise choice. EDD similarly stayed home but unfortunately. her body failed her, this season.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
She had a disappointing, near disastrous rookie season and made the intelligent decision to work on her game and strengthen her bod.

The results are apparent for all to see.

In addition, the transition from the tough college season to the pros straightaway, was a bit much physically for her and furthermore, she had opportunities to make endorsement money and do some work on her brand. All in all, a very wise choice.

She has made another adjustment. In the linked photo she has apparently discarded her former trademark Nike hairband in favor of a Diana Taurasi bun.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A very important point I think with WNBA rookies and Stewart and Diggins who as far as I can see chose not to play overseas last year. (Does anyone know why she made that decision?) It is not dissimilar to the transition most HS students deal with in college - Stewart took most of a year to come to terms with the physicality of the college game.
It is an interesting thing, because the touch fouls still get called, but the body contact allowed is much greater. It is an adjustment for all USA players, men and women and maybe harder for the men because if they are good enough for the USA team they generally never play overseas except in these tournaments.

The difference in physicality and style of play are big adjustments for players who have never played overseas on the senior level. That's why it drives me crazy to read posts suggesting that 2 rookie point guards can just be plugged in and Team USA will keep chugging along.

While adjusting to differences in style and physical play, the young players also need to adjust to playing with a team filled with elite players who've been there before and who will be better scoring options than they are. When Maya played in the WCs in the CR she ticked off a few of her teammates (and her coach) by taking some ill-advised shots. Her teammates let her know about it too. The pressure will be even greater on new point guards who, unlike with their WNBA team, won't be the best or only scoring option.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
msf22b - thanks for the info on Diggins' decision - I don't follow her career so was just a bit surprised that she hadn't gone overseas. Based on her improvement this past WNBA season, it certainly seems to have worked. Has she signed on with a team for this year? I do think it is good experience to play overseas, but obviously not essential.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UconnCat - the other issue that people maybe don't think about is familiarity with the players on the other teams. There are a number of international stars that play in the W, but a lot that never have. Playing internationally you play with or against almost every other player on a WC team and learn their strengths and weaknesses. It is an advantage for the more experienced players at both ends of the court.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
msf22b - thanks for the info on Diggins' decision - I don't follow her career so was just a bit surprised that she hadn't gone overseas. Based on her improvement this past WNBA season, it certainly seems to have worked. Has she signed on with a team for this year? I do think it is good experience to play overseas, but obviously not essential.

I actually think it is essential for Diggins to play overseas. She deserved the accolades for her turnaround second season but I think it's important for her development as a point guard that she play on teams where she's not the number one scoring option and that she gain exposure to international play at the professional level. Diggins took more shots than any of her Tulsa teammates; in fact, only one player in the WNBA took more shots than Diggins: Maya Moore, who took more shots than she did in her first 3 years in the league because of injuries to key Lynx players. Diggins' led the WNBA in FT attempts. Clearly the Tulsa coach wanted Diggins and Sims to be the top 2 scoring options but that approach isn't going to win championships and won't translate well to USA basketball. Diggins is an outstanding passer but is still plagued by turnovers (2nd in the wnba to Angel). She needs to play more professional games.

Reaction Score
It looks like the old E.F. Hutton commercial: When Sue talks, people listen.
I'll paraphrase something Geno said about Sue... "When you talk to her about basketball you better be righter than right, because she knows everything." He was being complimentary and not sarcastic about her knowledge. I would love to see her on the UCONN coaching staff after her playing days are over.

45 TO GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul