USA fighting for its life against Turkey.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA fighting for its life against Turkey....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Player Pts/Rebs/Ass

August 16/2/3
Moore 6/7/4
Bird 2/1/6
Taurasi 14/2/1
Fowles 12/2/0
Parker 8/12/1

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maya's numbers really don't tell the story of how important she was a crunch time.

Reaction Score
It seemed to me that in many moments of the game it appeared that turkey was having their way on the paint, and also beyond the arc. I came in at the end of the 2nd quarter so my observations are from then. the score was close, yes, but the US started to pull away towards the final 80 - 61 score. I agree that there were a lot of ticky tack fouls called on Tina and Candace, but also I noticed that the posts were out of position many times during the early minutes of my viewing. Lindsay was dribbling herself into trouble from time to time as she was double teamed frequently, and a number of shots went up that just didn't go in.

Still the US pulled it together and started to pull away in the 4th, I don't know if they just put the pedal to the floor, or if Turkey just ran out of gas.

It was a good game, and yes, we are going to be tested. Even though it seems our media has little focus on our WBB team, our opponants are well aware of who we are and what we can do. The important thing though is that our score at the end of the game is at least one more than the oppositions'.

For three quarters our bigs were getting beaten down low...at the other end, the Turkish bigs were playing tough...Tina had a particularly rough game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Unofficial limited box score

Tina and Candace were limited by fouls, apparently. The aforementioned #12 for Turkey is former Virginia Cavalier and current NY Liberty player Quanitra Hollingsworth.

Reaction Score
I think this game was a primer on two things:
  • How much more physicality is allowed in the paint; and
  • How back court fouls will be used to control the USA fast break.
Another observation is that the USA press was ineffective and led to many one-on-one situations down low where the Turkish bigs were very effective.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Maya's numbers really don't tell the story of how important she was a crunch time.

Absolutely. The one thing that impresses me most about Maya is how she performs when games get tight, momentum is swinging the other way and her team really needs a couple of plays.

Early in the 4th, Turkey had again pulled to within 5. Next possession Maya got the ball on the right wing, quickly did a power dribble-drive baseline and pulled up for her classic fadeaway. No hesitation, no deferring. She has been missing on that shot but this time it was pure. Shortly thereafter, she was rotating on defense and got her hand in a passing lane inside, stole the ball and fed upcourt to Whelan. Also during this period they started regularly putting her low so she could flash to the FT line for the ball, which several 'Yarders noted, and this led to a number of assists and buckets as we began to pull away. Before that, it had been a lot of jump shots for Team USA and not enough of them were falling.

I still recall Geno being interviewed after the NC victory over Stanford, and how he said, "She's the best player in the world....when you need points!" She just knows how to get the ball in the basket for her team, one way or another (scoring, assisting, stealing) when it's needed most.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. The one thing that impresses me most about Maya is how she performs when games get tight, momentum is swinging the other way and her team really needs a couple of plays.

Early in the 4th, Turkey had again pulled to within 5. Next possession Maya got the ball on the right wing, quickly did a power dribble-drive baseline and pulled up for her classic fadeaway. No hesitation, no deferring. She has been missing on that shot but this time it was pure. Shortly thereafter, she was rotating on defense and got her hand in a passing lane inside, stole the ball and fed upcourt to Whelan. Also during this period they started regularly putting her low so she could flash to the FT line for the ball, which several 'Yarders noted, and this led to a number of assists and buckets as we began to pull away. Before that, it had been a lot of jump shots for Team USA and not enough of them were falling.

I still recall Geno being interviewed after the NC victory over Stanford, and how he said, "She's the best player in the world....when you need points!" She just knows how to get the ball in the basket for her team, one or another (scoring, assisting, stealing) when it's needed most.

At that juncture, I thought Maya rescued our defense in the paint...I'd love to see what the points in the paint disparity was...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Some of you remind me of UConn fans. The team was "fighting for it's life" in a 19 point win.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Some of you remind me of UConn fans. The team was "fighting for it's life" in a 19 point win.

Well, as Vesper Lynd might say, "There are 19 point wins and there are 19 point wins. This was the latter."

Vesperlynd.jpeg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Well, as Vesper Lynd might say, "There are 19 point wins and there are 19 point wins. This was the latter."

It was more the idea that the team was "fighting for its life" in a pre-Olympic tuneup game after being together little more than a week with long flights to London and Turkey. If we're talking the medal round in London, then I'd agree.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It was more the idea that the team was "fighting for its life" in a pre-Olympic tuneup game after being together little more than a week with long flights to London and Turkey. If we're talking the medal round in London, then I'd agree.

Well I can't speak for the OP's choice of words for the subject line, but any loss for this team would be quite surprising, and this game was tight into the 4th quarter. And it is the summer so the 'Yard is mostly starved for drama :p

However, for reasons you outlined, and others, it is not surprising that they wouldn't just walk over everyone consistently. I'm sure Turkey was also more than a bit inspired in front of the home crowd, playing with nothing to lose.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
When I started the thread we had been played even for a couple of quarters. It was an accurate statement at the time. The score really doesn't tell the whole story on this one.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
When I started the thread we had been played even for a couple of quarters. It was an accurate statement at the time. The score really doesn't tell the whole story on this one.

I was just being a wise ass. I'll probably be the first to bitch when UConn beats Providence next year by only 40.

Reaction Score
Dang. Was the game even on tv? Will they show a replay of any of the ladies games? I checked the USA team webpage and I just got the score.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I just don't get how you can be fighting for your life when it's an exhibition game.

Sheeesh.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I just don't get how you can be fighting for your life when it's an exhibition game.

Sheeesh.

Sigh. Just a figure of speech. I usually don't start threads...will be more cautious if I ever dare try again.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

For most of the game, the USA lead was 3 - 5 points. The lead started edging closer to 10 late 3rd Q, and then in the 4th Q, Turkey wore down, as expected. But the game was much closer than the final score.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sigh. Just a figure of speech. I usually don't start threads...will be more cautious if I ever dare try again.

Just my opinion. Thought it was over the top. But don't let it stop you from starting threads. Feel free to ignore me as others do. I'm just a grampy...uhh....grumpy old man.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just my opinion. Thought it was over the top. But don't let it stop you from starting threads. Feel free to ignore me as others do. I'm just a grampy...uhh....grumpy old man.
I find myself agreeing with you yet again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc