USA-Costa Rica | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA-Costa Rica

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He does work hard and gets back on D though.

I thought he saved Yedlin's butt a few times on D. Can we make him a CB?

Reaction Score

Yedlin had some more wtf plays in that game, one of his clearances in the first 10 minutes almost resulted in a goal for CR.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmmm, not sure he is technically proficient enough for CB. ;) I've nicknamed him Donkey.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hmmm, not sure he is technically proficient enough for CB. ;) I've nicknamed him Donkey.

To be sure, his first touch is good for about 5 yards in any random direction. But he'd be strong in the air.

Reaction Score
Some random thoughts:
  • We played better against Colombia but are still clueless in the last third
  • If Zardes and Yedlin play like that against Brazil we'll lose 10-0 (but Saturday first...) We're just so far behind the top 10 in the world
  • I appreciate Zardes' running but I'm out. He can't control the ball. He could be leading the tournament in points with the open shots and easy passes he's screwed up
  • Jones was good - aside from his work rate all game (why not sub him out after 70-75 min? (same for Dempsey, too)), he brings the toughness. See the leadup to the PK. He's the one pushing CR players away from Dempsey
  • Bobby Wood brings some toughness too. Loved seeing him go after the CR player late in the game. He had a really rough start - the touch and passing wasn't there
  • Wondo, Zusi and Beckerman subs were a courtesy gesture. Expect the first two off the bench Saturday to be Pulisic and Nagbe
  • Dumb yellow card for Fabian - but good to see him run the wing for that brief moment in the first half

Where are the Klinsmann haters now?

Reaction Score
  • Wondo, Zusi and Beckerman subs were a courtesy gesture. Expect the first two off the bench Saturday to be Pulisic and Nagbe
I have a theory on those subs... with the game in hand, and the fact that Costa Rica have not faced Nagbe or Pulisic at the senior level (pretty sure of that, could be wrong) before, the US opted to not give CR an up close look at them just yet. Rather save them for the CONCACAF Hex, when it will really matters. During last weeks friendlies one of the broadcasters had commented that Nagbe and Pulisic style of play/push/pace would cause a team like CR fits. Now, that gives the USMNT staff a ton of credit, but ya never know.

Reaction Score
Some random thoughts:
  • We played better against Colombia but are still clueless in the last third
  • If Zardes and Yedlin play like that against Brazil we'll lose 10-0 (but Saturday first...) We're just so far behind the top 10 in the world
  • I appreciate Zardes' running but I'm out. He can't control the ball. He could be leading the tournament in points with the open shots and easy passes he's screwed up
  • Jones was good - aside from his work rate all game (why not sub him out after 70-75 min? (same for Dempsey, too)), he brings the toughness. See the leadup to the PK. He's the one pushing CR players away from Dempsey
  • Bobby Wood brings some toughness too. Loved seeing him go after the CR player late in the game. He had a really rough start - the touch and passing wasn't there
  • Dumb yellow card for Fabian - but good to see him run the wing for that brief moment in the first half

Where are the Klinsmann haters now?

I'm thrilled with the team's performance, but let's not pretend that beating Costa Rica at home is any sort of great shakes. We almost never lose to them in the US. I still find Klinsmann's tactics and personnel choices puzzling, up to and including the fact that he brought Wondolowski at all instead of Jordan Morris.

Reaction Score
I have a theory on those subs... with the game in hand, and the fact that Costa Rica have not faced Nagbe or Pulisic at the senior level (pretty sure of that, could be wrong) before, the US opted to not give CR an up close look at them just yet. Rather save them for the CONCACAF Hex, when it will really matters. During last weeks friendlies one of the broadcasters had commented that Nagbe and Pulisic style of play/push/pace would cause a team like CR fits. Now, that gives the USMNT staff a ton of credit, but ya never know.

Beckerman, Wondo and Zusi will be our clock killing trio, when we are up big and need to run out the last 15 minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with the team's performance, but let's not pretend that beating Costa Rica at home is any sort of great shakes. We almost never lose to them in the US. I still find Klinsmann's tactics and personnel choices puzzling, up to and including the fact that he brought Wondolowski at all instead of Jordan Morris.
Agreed, Wondo over Morris is a head scratcher.

US hasn't handled a CR team like that though, at least that I can recall. Seems like they are always 1 goal diff (maybe 2 goal diff, occasionally) slug-fests. ... shoot, US lost to them less than a year ago in NJ, and it wasn't as close as the 1-0 scoreline would suggest. What I liked about last night is they really controlled play and pushed pace the bulk of the game. A rocky first 10 minutes or so of each half, but then the US took over. That felt different. Lord help the CONCACAF if the USMNT ever learns how to finish with regularity. Big test is can they look that good 2 matches in a row. I have yet to see that consistency from this group. Hoping we get it Saturday night.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Right now he has 2 and a half subs on the bench that can add something to the game. The rest are injury and card insurance.

I thought he might bring in a LB and push Johnson forward against Colombia until it became 2-0, but it became clear that he didn't want to risk a third goal.

Really, who on that bench can be counted on for a decent 30 minutes of attacking football? Zardes has been an easy sub. Jones is getting the old man treatment or else he'd play the full 90. The puzzling sub offs of Wood indicate that beyond subbing like for like or inserting Zusi as a 442 wing, their isn't any flexibility or bite on this roster. No Preki that can come in and provide a lift. Not even a Shea.

Reaction Score
I just don't see any better options. He does tick most of the boxes. He scores goals and is doing so in Europe. Hopefully he continues when stepping up to the top league.

Everything he gets the balls something positive happens. He stretches defenders, can hold the ball, and dribble the ball, and he can make runs. He doesn't always make the right decision or hit the best passes, but no one else in the US pool does either.

Jones at 34, made everyone else on that team look bad with his effort and game awareness. Wood is more like him than any other striker we have including Dempsey who despite playing better was still being selfish with the ball when he had wide open runners to the goal.

I still like Dempsey as a CF in a 4-3-3. Wood can push in centrally with the fullback providing width on his side. Dempsey is fantastic at delivering that final ball.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I still like Dempsey as a CF in a 4-3-3. Wood can push in centrally with the fullback providing width on his side. Dempsey is fantastic at delivering that final ball.

I don't see it. What I see is Dempsey looking to hero ball too much. On Wood's goal it was like you had to pry the ball off Dempsey's foot. Heat be the best, most skilled offensive player we have, but he's not Messi and we don't play our best offense through one guy. Most of our success comes from early balls and quick combinations inside 20 yards be them inside or wide. We try to play wide, but out successes are usually through the middle, and usually it's when Dempsey is aligned elsewhere drawing defenders off.

I still think he is best with two forwards and specifically stacked underneath the other striker. I think Wood is that striker. Both are best in or just outside the box. Neither is as good beyond 25 yards.

Reaction Score
I don't see it. What I see is Dempsey looking to hero ball too much. On Wood's goal it was like you had to pry the ball off Dempsey's foot. Heat be the best, most skilled offensive player we have, but he's not Messi and we don't play our best offense through one guy. Most of our success comes from early balls and quick combinations inside 20 yards be them inside or wide. We try to play wide, but out successes are usually through the middle, and usually it's when Dempsey is aligned elsewhere drawing defenders off.

I still think he is best with two forwards and specifically stacked underneath the other striker. I think Wood is that striker. Both are best in or just outside the box. Neither is as good beyond 25 yards.

Didn't Dempsey have two assists last night? I'd rather overload the middle and use the fullbacks for width and have Bedoya and Jones making late runs.

Reaction Score
Didn't Dempsey have two assists last night? I'd rather overload the middle and use the fullbacks for width and have Bedoya and Jones making late runs.

One of them looked like it was probably accidental. Looked like he was trying to dribble into space, and then realized Jones could get there first and pulled off his run. If it was a pass, it was frankly a poor one, since it didn't lead Jones into the box and instead he had to stop and wait for it and shoot through more traffic. But either way it resulted in a goal with our most dangerous personnel being in a position to make the plays and that's what matters.

Jermaine Jones scores a perfectly placed shot for the USMNT

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="SubbaBub, post:
Really, who on that bench can be counted on for a decent 30 minutes of attacking football? Zardes has been an easy sub. Jones is getting the old man treatment or else he'd play the full 90. The puzzling sub offs of Wood indicate that beyond subbing like for like or inserting Zusi as a 442 wing, their isn't any flexibility or bite on this roster. No Preki that can come in and provide a lift. Not even a Shea.[/QUOTE]

Brek Shea? no, just not

Nagbe and Pulisic. Easy answer

Beyond that we simply don't have the talent to match up with the tournament's best or morph into different formations depending on need.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting theory. But it does give the staff a lot of credit. It could have just been accidental also??

I think it was just throwing them a bone for being there. Probably won't use them again. Well Zusi maybe.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I think we got lucky. CR pressed forward uncharacteristically, forcing the U.S. to defend and counter, which Klinsman doesn't like, but which better suits our personnel and talent. Dempsey in particular is stronger in a counter game as an attacking midfielder, with wings on either side. It lead to two goals and several good chances. I don't like him as a traditional center forward.

Maybe we agree. Whether he's a lagging forward behind the other two, or an attacking midfielder in a diamond midfield (and let's face it, Bradley never goes forward anymore) it's the same thing.

Reaction Score
One of them looked like it was probably accidental. Looked like he was trying to dribble into space, and then realized Jones could get there first and pulled off his run. If it was a pass, it was frankly a poor one, since it didn't lead Jones into the box and instead he had to stop and wait for it and shoot through more traffic. But either way it resulted in a goal with our most dangerous personnel being in a position to make the plays and that's what matters.

Jermaine Jones scores a perfectly placed shot for the USMNT

It wasn't a pass, it was a heavy touch.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Maybe we agree. Whether he's a lagging forward behind the other two, or an attacking midfielder in a diamond midfield (and let's face it, Bradley never goes forward anymore) it's the same thing.

I don't doubt his talent. His tendencies are counter to how his teammates need to play. He wants to get the ball at 30/35 yards and dribble past people and shoot. Laying off is a last resort for him. Give and go isnt really on the table either because he doesn't trust he'll get it back, probably with good reason.

Inside the box he's really really good, even just outside. He can get past one defender easily enough, after that he looks to draw a kick or just bulls into a turnover. If you watch him, he doesn't play well with others. Ten years ago that was OK because there was a talent gap offensively huge inside the team. You had Donovan, Dempsey and little else.

Now, while there aren't any players better than him, the group does have the ability to swarm offensively up and down the flanks, over the top, there is some speed and a lot better ball skills overall throughout the squad. They can take defenders on to open up space for cutters.

Before, it was long ball from the Keeper to the target forward and pinball around for a goal.

If Dempsey is willing to play a little more forward, put his back to the goal and develop some trust with his teammates, I think the sight of Clint banging in goals from around the penalty spot will become a more regular occurrence.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I don't doubt his talent. His tendencies are counter to how his teammates need to play. He wants to get the ball at 30/35 yards and dribble past people and shoot. Laying off is a last resort for him. Give and go isnt really on the table either because he doesn't trust he'll get it back, probably with good reason.

Inside the box he's really really good, even just outside. He can get past one defender easily enough, after that he looks to draw a kick or just bulls into a turnover. If you watch him, he doesn't play well with others. Ten years ago that was OK because there was a talent gap offensively huge inside the team. You had Donovan, Dempsey and little else.

Now, while there aren't any players better than him, the group does have the ability to swarm offensively up and down the flanks, over the top, there is some speed and a lot better ball skills overall throughout the squad. They can take defenders on to open up space for cutters.

Before, it was long ball from the Keeper to the target forward and pinball around for a goal.

If Dempsey is willing to play a little more forward, put his back to the goal and develop some trust with his teammates, I think the sight of Clint banging in goals from around the penalty spot will become a more regular occurrence.

Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69