USA BB announces Selection Committees | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA BB announces Selection Committees

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She was fun to watch. They weren't on tv that much but I caught a few games. Her level of play during their Elite 8 run was phenomenal, I think she averaged about 30 points/10 assists/8 rebounds/5 steals per game over 4 games. Can't remember any other player doing anything like that during the Tourney. Also first player in D1 history--woman or man--to record 2000 points and 1000 assists in a career. Had much more of a scorer's mentality in college compared to her pro career.

Side tracking a bit, but she's a case in point why national recruiting rankings need to be taken with a large grain of salt. She was in the same recruiting class as Angie Bjorklund from Spokane. Bjorklund was the #2 (or maybe even #1 according to some) overall recruit that year. Sloot was off the radar. But people in Washington that follow HS hoops kept saying Sloot was just as good or better. They were right, and it wasn't even close. Also surprising was that the entire Pac 10 Conference (that was pre-expansion I think) ignored her, particularly the 2 Washington schools. That was a big mistake, but Gonzaga's gain.
A few posters here from Knoxville suggested that Angie was at least as good as Maya Moore when they committed. Angie was decent, but she didn't improve a lot, and Pat didn't treat her well at the end. Sloot's pro career has vastly surpassed Angie's non-career

Maybe Holdsclaw, Catchings, and Parker were roughly comparable to Maya as a high school recruit, but noone else in LV orange was.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
She's playing for Hungary??

I started googling after reading that. From FIBA:

EuroCup Women winner Vandersloot headlines Hungary squad

BUDAPEST (EuroBasket Women 2017) – Hungary will be pinning their hopes on the recently naturalized Courtney Vandersloot to carry them past the Group phase at FIBA EuroBasket Women 2017.

The playmaker, who competed for Hungary for the first time during last November’s decisive Qualifying window, is back on board and ready to pull the strings.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, that kind of seems like what I thought would happen. Too many players have had no opportunity to make the US National Team, so they eventually decided to compete for someone else.

Sorta OT but a guy from my little tiny home town of White Salmon, Washington won a couple gold medals in the last Winter Olympics for Russia. He did marry a Russian woman and the event he competes in isn't really supported by the U.S. Vic Wild. Quite a bit younger than me, I never knew him. His mom was the head of the art dept. when I was in HS and I took one class from her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I started googling after reading that. From FIBA:

EuroCup Women winner Vandersloot headlines Hungary squad

BUDAPEST (EuroBasket Women 2017) – Hungary will be pinning their hopes on the recently naturalized Courtney Vandersloot to carry them past the Group phase at FIBA EuroBasket Women 2017.

The playmaker, who competed for Hungary for the first time during last November’s decisive Qualifying window, is back on board and ready to pull the strings.
And I thought her name was Dutch! ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sims will be in a perfect situation to prove that she can be the team facilitator with Parker and Nneka to pass the ball to. She should rack up assists in that system.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom