USA Basketball site now has the announcement posted | The Boneyard

USA Basketball site now has the announcement posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
“It’s exciting to announce that Geno Auriemma is returning as head coach of the USA Women’s National Team for 2013-16,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman. “Parity in women’s international basketball is increasing each year and so selecting a coach with international basketball experience is critical. Being able to have some continuity in the program was another very important consideration. While those two things are important, when you add that Geno is a Hall of Fame coach who has led teams to Olympic and World Championship gold medals, and he is a coach who has won eight NCAA championships, it made the decision of having him lead our program for another four years a no-brainer. I witnessed first-hand at the London Olympics the caliber of coach he is and I feel extremely confident in Geno’s abilities to continue to build on the legacy of the USA Basketball Women’s National Team.”

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Some great quotes from players:
Angel:
"Playing for Geno has taught me how to take my game to the next level. I’m a different player when I’m playing for him. He is definitely one of the best coaches with one of the best systems I have ever seen in my life."
Maya:
I have a tremendous respect for how he prepares his teams and I'm always confident when our team competes.
Diana:
It's nice that he would sacrifice his golf game for the good of the country.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FYI - since it was first posted the 'Players Quotes' page has been updated twice to add first DTs quote and now a quote from Sue so you may want to recheck the page again in the next few days for additional quotes.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Diana:
It's nice that he would sacrifice his golf game for the good of the country.

Pure, beautiful Dee. I love it. But I feel compelled to post her entire quote:

“To have another opportunity to play for coach is truly an honor. Our pursuit of another world championship and gold medal is top on his list and we will be fully prepared. It's nice that he would sacrifice his golf game for the good of the country.”

I am still laughing, Dee!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

“To have another opportunity to play for coach is truly an honor. Our pursuit of another world championship and gold medal is top on his list and we will be fully prepared. It's nice that he would sacrifice his golf game for the good of the country.”

Why clutter a great quote with a bunch of PC bull. As you can see I have adopted my first ever signature line.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

Vintage Dee. A true original. I'm still laughing as well!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why clutter a great quote with a bunch of PC bull. As you can see I have adopted my first ever signature line.
Because it was the set up to the punch line.

And no one knows punch lines like Dee.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What surprised me when reading the presser was Geno's coomment about how General Dempsey (Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff) and his wife Deanie were part of the recruitment effort mounted by USA Basketball to persuade Geno to take the job again.

And I was reminded that he was not recruited to only coach the national team in Turkey next year and Rio for the Olympics in 2016, he is now officially The Coach of the USA Women's National Team for four years, 2013-2016. Thus, any incoming recruit gets to play for the one person in the world with that distinctive title.

OK, so imagine being the parents of a blue-chip recruit and you've got this guy about to visit and sit in your living room. . . .:rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What surprised me when reading the presser was Geno's coomment about how General Dempsey (Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff) and his wife Deanie were part of the recruitment effort mounted by USA Basketball to persuade Geno to take the job again.

And I was reminded that he was not recruited to only coach the national team in Turkey next year and Rio for the Olympics in 2016, he is now officially The Coach of the USA Women's National Team for four years, 2013-2016. Thus, any incoming recruit gets to play for the one person in the world with that distinctive title.

OK, so imagine being the parents of a blue-chip recruit and you've got this guy about to visit and sit in your living room. . . .:rolleyes:
I was trying to figure out whether Dempsey got re-involved or if Geno was referring to the experience the team had working with him prior to the Olympics, because he spoke quite specifically about that as well. In any case I love the fact that the offer came on the day Uconn was in Washington to meet with the President - just a subtle (right!) reference to the fact that when the 'nation' calls, you must answer that call. I liked Carol's reference to being an American as the major selling point as well - I really think that is true and more true probably for immigrant families than those of us who take citizenship more for granted.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

There is an old military saying: "No one turns down Generals' wives. Not even Generals."

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Because it was the set up to the punch line.

And no one knows punch lines like Dee.

thank you, Ice, that is exactly correct. The first two sentences beautifully set up the third, and I believe that Diana meant every word. And for the record, I don't post "PC Bull".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
thank you, Ice, that is exactly correct. The first two sentences beautifully set up the third, and I believe that Diana meant every word. And for the record, I don't post "PC Bull".
Sorry - I agree, and just took the easy way out rather than looking for a better term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom