USA Basketball Scrimmage | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA Basketball Scrimmage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting to note 2 things:
1. The blazing speed of the game and
2. the commentators questioning whether Griner could or could not fit in with this pace of basketball.

Legitimate concern?
2. Let's see what they say after she plays against Canada Monday

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Rats! Sue Bird just got her nose clocked by Whalen's shoulder.....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
RadyLady said:
Rats! Sue Bird just got her nose clocked by Whalen's shoulder.....

She didnt look happy waking to bench :-/

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sue and Tina have yet to get on the same page in defending the screen and roll.

Stewie getting lots of minutes. Letting her show her stuff.

Red team doubling Diggins and she's struggling to get rid of the ball.

Funny you should say that: McBride has been guarding her and she has been an absolute pest

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Diggins putting in some points now...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Nneka is a lock to make this team with her rebounding and scoring. She's part of Team USA's future, and should be on this years team.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Stewie also looked really good, like lock #2. And the announcers kept saying how they need to have 1 PG -- Diggins was trying but Sims is so fast and more unselfish, IMO.

Interesting how they kept saying that there are 4 slots and the best place is in the post...makes me think Stewart, Nneka, Griner and 1 PG? Though lots of talent out there, agreed it's probably really tough to figure out whom to cut and I wonder how they proceed on cuts (timing and amounts each)....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Stewie also looked really good, like lock #2. And the announcers kept saying how they need to have 1 PG -- Diggins was trying but Sims is so fast and more unselfish, IMO.

Interesting how they kept saying that there are 4 slots and the best place is in the post...makes me think Stewart, Nneka, Griner and 1 PG? Though lots of talent out there, agreed it's probably really tough to figure out whom to cut and I wonder how they proceed on cuts (timing and amounts each)....

I wouldn't want that job, frankly, and especially on just one session of observation. I have refrained from making any comments about who I think should be on precisely because of that.

They were fun to watch. Was great to see some of the players like Sims and McBride in this environment just to see how they would do, and they didn't disappoint. It's going to be a tough choice.

Will be going to the game on Monday

Reaction Score
Nice to see Nneka make a statement in camp. USA hoops tends to favor height so in this context she's considered undersized for her position, and she gets overshadowed a bit by Parker for the Sparks, so she needed to deliver in camp to have a shot. So far so good.

Reaction Score
What an awesome group of talent! No matter who they put in it's seems to be the same level of play! the only problem is it's obvious that they haven't practiced together long enough. Could you imagine what it will look like after all the players are in camp!
They're missing DT, Bonner, Dupree, Griner, EDD, Vandersloot, & Fowles! WOW!!!!!
At least 4 can make the team out of this group!

Reaction Score
I don't see Vandersloot ever making a USA final roster. One, Whalen will be hanging around for a little while longer and she's a much better player. Sue has seen better days but depending on the situation is still valuable because she plays much differently than Whalen and can knock down the 3 still which is oddly absent from Whalen's game. Vandersloot has the IQ, the handles, passing ability, leadership qualities, and adequate athleticism, but she's not a reliable shooter/scoring threat. Considering she played for Gonzaga a mid-major, she wasn't even a prolific scorer then. Has never averaged double-digit points in 4 years in the WNBA. She can slice a defense alright and get to the bucket sometimes but she's not explosive or big enough to do it at will. And by the time Sue then Whalen retire, Diggins and Sims will be ready to take their places. Plus hasn't Diana been running the point for Phoenix all year? They seem to be doing just fine with her at that position.

Reaction Score
Practice at the Bob.JPG
I went to the practice session yesterday. Here is a photo from it with lots of UConn players. In the Q and A, Geno volunteered that the US style of play is and should be moving to be more like international style with far less fouling.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
kat0189 said:
I don't see Vandersloot ever making a USA final roster. One, Whalen will be hanging around for a little while longer and she's a much better player. Sue has seen better days but depending on the situation is still valuable because she plays much differently than Whalen and can knock down the 3 still which is oddly absent from Whalen's game. Vandersloot has the IQ, the handles, passing ability, leadership qualities, and adequate athleticism, but she's not a reliable shooter/scoring threat. Considering she played for Gonzaga a mid-major, she wasn't even a prolific scorer then. Has never averaged double-digit points in 4 years in the WNBA. She can slice a defense alright and get to the bucket sometimes but she's not explosive or big enough to do it at will. And by the time Sue then Whalen retire, Diggins and Sims will be ready to take their places. Plus hasn't Diana been running the point for Phoenix all year? They seem to be doing just fine with her at that position.

I have seen Whalen drain quite a few threes actually. but I agree about 'Sloot. She's good but not great

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
With the scrimmage v Canada on Monday night, cuts will need to be made over the weekend.

Bird and Whalen are obviously the top 2 PGs (zero turnovers between them), while Diggins struggled with ball security (5 turnovers).

I thought Stewie played pretty well. Her shot was off but I liked seeing her post up and she ran the floor really well. Whether she makes the national team or not, she is going to have a spectacular junior season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UconnCat - The scrimmage with Canada is not the defining moment for cuts. Scrimmages and friendlies can be played under any rules the two team decide on and I am sure they have not limited their rosters. That said, having 17 players on the bench might be too much for the committee and coaching staff to deal with, but I suspect they would choose to give all the players one more nationally televised showcase. I think the major cutdown will occur before the team leaves for France, thought I suspect their will be around 15 players traveling there with all the pool players still playing in the WNBA finals.
Team USA has never needed the point guard to score much so I do not see Vandersloot being dropped because she is not a great scorer. It is much more important to the team that the PG limit turnovers and manage the team (and play defense.) With USA, scoring has never been a problem, getting the ball in the hands of the scorers where they want it and where they can do damage is much more important. Obviously yesterday's scrimmage was a brief peak at the team, but based on that little peak, I certainly didn't think any of the five possible young PGs playing really distinguished themselves.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UconnCat - The scrimmage with Canada is not the defining moment for cuts. Scrimmages and friendlies can be played under any rules the two team decide on and I am sure they have not limited their rosters. That said, having 17 players on the bench might be too much for the committee and coaching staff to deal with, but I suspect they would choose to give all the players one more nationally televised showcase. I think the major cutdown will occur before the team leaves for France, thought I suspect their will be around 15 players traveling there with all the pool players still playing in the WNBA finals.
Team USA has never needed the point guard to score much so I do not see Vandersloot being dropped because she is not a great scorer. It is much more important to the team that the PG limit turnovers and manage the team (and play defense.) With USA, scoring has never been a problem, getting the ball in the hands of the scorers where they want it and where they can do damage is much more important. Obviously yesterday's scrimmage was a brief peak at the team, but based on that little peak, I certainly didn't think any of the five possible young PGs playing really distinguished themselves.

I didn't say the scrimmage against Canada is the defining moments for cuts, but it may be an event that triggers some cuts simply because of the numbers. The only other option is to sit the vets who've already made the team and play those who are on the bubble but I doubt USA BB does that. I don't see how you play 17 players in a game and think doing so will assist you in evaluating who makes the team. Here's a quote from a usa basketball story which suggests the first round of cuts will be made after last night's scrimmage:

The game was one of the last chances to impress head coach Geno Auriemma and the selection committee ahead of the first round of cuts from the 24-player roster ahead of the 2014 FIBA World Championship. Auriemma has said some decisions will occur after Thursday’s game and more will come after a practice and scrimmage with the Canadian National Team in Bridgeport, Connecticut on Sept.15.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't say the scrimmage against Canada is the defining moments for cuts, but it may be an event that triggers some cuts simply because of the numbers. The only other option is to sit the vets who've already made the team and play those who are on the bubble but I doubt USA BB does that. I don't see how you play 17 players in a game and think doing so will assist you in evaluating who makes the team. Here's a quote from a usa basketball story which suggests the first round of cuts will be made after last night's scrimmage:

The game was one of the last chances to impress head coach Geno Auriemma and the selection committee ahead of the first round of cuts from the 24-player roster ahead of the 2014 FIBA World Championship. Auriemma has said some decisions will occur after Thursday’s game and more will come after a practice and scrimmage with the Canadian National Team in Bridgeport, Connecticut on Sept.15.
Thanks - hadn't seen that quote.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Obviously yesterday's scrimmage was a brief peak at the team, but based on that little peak, I certainly didn't think any of the five possible young PGs playing really distinguished themselves.

ahem.

peek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member