USA 3x3 loses to Netherlands 21-13 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA 3x3 loses to Netherlands 21-13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USA looses gold medal game to France 21-12.............totally outplayed in every area.....................hope that is not a sign of things to come

Reaction Score
The US was outplayed and worst out hustled by France

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
That's BAck to BAck gold Medals for France over Team USA. The USA Men didin't even qualify for this U18 Tournament.

With only 3 players playing its easier for other countries to put together a TEAM to out play USA Superior individual players. France played team ball with hot shooting to totally dominate USA's individual play with cold shooting.

Reaction Score
The French player Gaye was easily the best player on the court..........kind of reminded me of a more mobile Morgan Tuck...........

Reaction Score
The French player Gaye was easily the best player on the court.....kind of reminded me of a more mobile Morgan Tuck......

True. The US had no answer for her down low. Our defense on picks was non existent. We needed to play more physically and with more energy.
France shot the ball very well.
Gaye was the high scorer overall in the tournament.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know how long this French team has played together. They definitely knew how to play team offense and defense as compared to USA's individual style of play. I watched a number of games and USA consistently played poor defense especially on Pick and Rolls in all games. Were able to win games due to their superior individual talents. Today they met a talented French team who played Superior Team Ball. France also hit some Great shots that helped them gain the huge lead.

Last couple of years I've been advocating that at some of the major AAU events, that they host a 3 x 3 tournament along with the normal event. Can't gain any traction with any of the AAU organization or Event organizers. They have no interest.

Reaction Score
to be successful at three on three tournaments you have to be able to do several things American kids are too lazy to do...1) you have to be able and willing to screen for each other, something youth coach in general do not teach anymore...too much one on one nowadays...2) everyone has to rebound...3) everyone has to play hard and hustle...of the games i watched the USA got out hustled by every team they played even the games they won...they seemed to play uninspired...in any international competition the officiating is different...you are allowed to play much more physically and that seemed to affect the US team...i personally was not very impressed with the effort of our team

Reaction Score
I think the US needed a more dominant big ala Joyner Holmes plus a more dominant power forward like Rellah Boothe to team with Walker and possibly a true point guard as the sub..............there was very limited intimidation under the basket as the French had countless layups and second shot chances..........I know the rest of the world has caught up with us in basketball but we still shouldn't be loosing in 3 on 3 street ball

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Quarter again China at approx 3:06:35

Semi against the Czech Republic at about the 10:00 mark:

Reaction Score
to be successful at three on three tournaments you have to be able to do several things American kids are too lazy to do...1) you have to be able and willing to screen for each other, something youth coach in general do not teach anymore...too much one on one nowadays...2) everyone has to rebound...3) everyone has to play hard and hustle...of the games i watched the USA got out hustled by every team they played even the games they won...they seemed to play uninspired...in any international competition the officiating is different...you are allowed to play much more physically and that seemed to affect the US team...i personally was not very impressed with the effort of our team

You said it all.........they played soft defensively, didn't rebound or box out and seemed less then inspired and were clearly put off by the rough play that didn't result in foul calls...............it was like they were waiting till the second half to get going.....except there was no second half!! The other interesting thing was it appeared there were no coaches involved, every time there was a time out they just spoke among themselves............not sure it would have mattered but it was different.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
You said it all....they played soft defensively, didn't rebound or box out and seemed less then inspired and were clearly put off by the rough play that didn't result in foul calls.....it was like they were waiting till the second half to get going.....except there was no second half!! The other interesting thing was it appeared there were no coaches involved, every time there was a time out they just spoke among themselves..not sure it would have mattered but it was different.
One of the rules of 3x3 is that there is no input from coaches allowed during games.

Reaction Score

You and the Gentleman who heartily agreed with you are ignoring a few details.

1. The American team had to play five games on that last day because of weather earlier in the tournament, while the French team only played three.

2. The American team had been together for about a week, versus months (years?) for the French squad.

3. The American women play high school and AAU basketball, which is light years away from the club system used in Europe, where they are coached by professionals from a very early age and have already playing in highly organized leagues for years.

4. The American team flew from Colorado, which added three more hours to a long and arduous journey. Traveling from Paris is like going from Chicago to New York.

I also think that just making a blanket statement that there are "several things American kids are too lazy to do" is in horrendously bad taste when talking about four young women who traveled half way around the world to represent their country for no compensation other than the experience involved. As for being successful in 3x3 tournaments?! Does anybody really care about that?! That's like getting excited about flag football. The French were better and the Americans did just fine considering the extenuating circumstances. If you are personally not very impressed with the effort of our team, I am personally not very impressed with your opinions.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Geno got a hold of her and imprinted his 100% effort at all times mantra in her I think Walker would be really, really good. She's not in the Maya Moore category, but then who is? High basketball IQ, physical body, nice handle, solid athlete, can post up, excellent jumper from 15 feet in. The long range shot is spotty right now though that issue never stopped Dwayne Wade from being great.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

1. The American team had to play five games on that last day because of weather earlier in the tournament, while the French team only played three.

2. The American team had been together for about a week, versus months (years?) for the French squad.

3. The American women play high school and AAU basketball, which is light years away from the club system used in Europe, where they are coached by professionals from a very early age and have already playing in highly organized leagues for years.

4. The American team flew from Colorado, which added three more hours to a long and arduous journey. Traveling from Paris is like going from Chicago to New York.

I also think that just making a blanket statement that there are "several things American kids are too lazy to do" is in horrendously bad taste when talking about four young women who traveled half way around the world to represent their country for no compensation other than the experience involved. As for being successful in 3x3 tournaments?! Does anybody really care about that?! That's like getting excited about flag football. The French were better and the Americans did just fine considering the extenuating circumstances. If you are personally not very impressed with the effort of our team, I am personally not very impressed with your opinions.
I understand that you're defending our women, and most of your points are valid, but your geography is way off. Paris to Astana is 3500 miles, whereas Chicago to NY is 790 miles. Even San Francisco to NY is only 2900 miles. Turns out Eurasia is a pretty big area.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

I'm sorry you're not impressed with my opinions.......you aren't the first!!!!!

Did you watch each of the USA games? If so then you would have seen a lack of defensive intensity, failure to guard the pick and roll, little boxing out and a team that was always second to the loose ball................that's a fact. There's nothing unpatriotic about criticizing a team that didn't play it's best in a competition, especially when it looked like the effort was not always present.

While I'm not upset that the American women earned the silver medal in this particular wacky competition and I personally don't believe that all American basketball players are lazy, I was somewhat disappointed in their lack of hustle and defensive intensity throughout the tournament................as for your other points, I'm not sure if the French women have had much club experience as this is an under 18 tournament...........it may very well be that this group of French players have more experience playing 3x3 together, although they are not the same group that won it last year........I believe the USA played the Netherlands and Poland on the first day and 2 or 3 games on the second day but playing five 10 minute 3x3 half court games should not be particularly tiring for AAU basketball players who regularly play 4-5 full court games in a weekend.

If you were to ask the members of US team if they were satisfied with their effort I have a feeling they would admit that they could have played better and smarter..........Now let's see how well the USA U17 and U18 teams play real basketball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was impressed by the French team.
3x3 is a weird beast, and having mobile, big, shooters is the best possible team concept. The USA has yet to really take these competitions seriously - pulling in Strother to replace an injured player after she hadn't played competitive basketball in years, just because she was available, is an example of that from a couple of years ago.

They put together teams, hold a competition, and the winning team is then shipped off to a tournament. It is not a natural competition for these kids who spend 99% of their time working 5x5 full court so the strategies and rules are quick study for them. If they do decide to really take it seriously, they will hold the competition and then select the best four player team based on what happens in the domestic tournament.

Reaction Score
I was impressed by the French team.
3x3 is a weird beast, and having mobile, big, shooters is the best possible team concept. The USA has yet to really take these competitions seriously - pulling in Strother to replace an injured player after she hadn't played competitive basketball in years, just because she was available, is an example of that from a couple of years ago.

They put together teams, hold a competition, and the winning team is then shipped off to a tournament. It is not a natural competition for these kids who spend 99% of their time working 5x5 full court so the strategies and rules are quick study for them. If they do decide to really take it seriously, they will hold the competition and then select the best four player team based on what happens in the domestic tournament.

I agree that the powers that be should take this competition more seriously if they are going to ask players to compete in it. The days when American basketball players male or female could just show up with an expectation of winning are long gone. I have no doubt that the USA four were probably more talented then any other group there but their lack of understanding of 3 x 3 play was clear to see even in the games they won.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree that the powers that be should take this competition more seriously if they are going to ask players to compete in it. The days when American basketball players male or female could just show up with an expectation of winning are long gone. I have no doubt that the USA four were probably more talented then any other group there but their lack of understanding of 3 x 3 play was clear to see even in the games they won.
I am all for American domination of all things basketball but this is one I don't think USA basketball needs to invest anymore resources in. For starters this it is not "real" basketball. This is what we used to settle for back in the my day when couldn't get a full court run in. When I was younger I would spend the whole game thinking I wish those other guys would leave so we can go full. As I got older I got to thinking "thank God we aren't going full".

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Hoop It Up... is still being played in the USA, it comes to New Haven later this month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom