us women on foreign olympic teams | The Boneyard

us women on foreign olympic teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Must they become citizens of that country? Today we saw Page (American) on the Serbian team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here's an article about her Naturalization. It's in Serbian. But using an online translator, it seems she played with a couple Serbians at Nebraska and kinda just took a liking to Serbia while she was playing in different countries in Europe. Just decided to get naturalized. Doesn't say anything about parents or grandparents. ??? She was born in Colorado Springs, CO.

Danijel Pejdž predstavljena u Košarkaškom savezu Srbije

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is some more knowledge from Boneyarders on this subject.
From the FIBA eligibility rules

The one naturalised player allowed needn't have any roots to the country he/she is playing for so long as the citizenship requirements are met, and the player hasn't played for any other country previously. This, I presume would be the case with Page, like Hammon (and later Prince) did for the Russians, and Lindsey Harding is doing for Belarus this tournament.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Also, Lindsey Harding (Duke) plays for Belarus...

Reaction Score
Curious will they reapply for US citizenship after there playing days are over?

Reaction Score
These players can be dual citizens, unless the country they choose to play for requires them to renounce their citizenship in their country of origin (Japan comes to mind). Someone better informed can chime in, but it seems that while it isn't recognized formally, dual citizenship isn't illegal in the US either.
So Page and Harding (and Lara Sanders on the Turkish team) remain Americans unless they did the formal renunciation thing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
These players can be dual citizens, unless the country they choose to play for requires them to renounce their citizenship in their country of origin (Japan comes to mind). Someone better informed can chime in, but it seems that while it isn't recognized formally, dual citizenship isn't illegal in the US either.
So Page and Harding (and Lara Sanders on the Turkish team) remain Americans unless they did the formal renunciation thing.
As do Sue and Diana though in Europe they played as an Israeli and an Italian.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

For those interested in the legal aspects of how acquisition of foreign citizenship does not necessarily imply renunciation of U.S. citizenship: LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP AND DUAL NATIONALITY

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My granddaughter, whose other grandfather was born in the Philippines, now has dual citizenship and is in Manila trying out for the Philippines U-16 national soccer team. She has scored a goal in each scrimmage and is leading some drills. They now have 25 players and will cut to a final 20 later this month before an Asian tournament in China. Her chances of making the team look good, though I have my fingers crossed. I believe that there were 10-13 North Americans in the group of 30. It would not surprise me if half the starting unit is comprised of Americans and Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom