US Women hoops - day off today? | The Boneyard

US Women hoops - day off today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I checked the schedule and it looks like they have the day off. I'm sure the team has some fun stuff planned to do but I'm also sure they will spend a few hours at least practicing. To my untrained eyes, it appears that they've improved every game.

I mentioned in another thread that it's been great to see the individual improvements as well - every single player is playing at their highest level and meshing with the team - not only does the chemistry seem great, but no matter who is in the game, it seems that they are all giving 100% and not doing any more that is needed from them (ie. forcing anything).

It's been especially great to see how well Griner is playing as well as Augustus, Fowles, Whalen, and Stewie. The rest of the team played at a pretty high level for the most part during the exhibition games, but these guys seem to have really upped their games and the improvements have been noticeable. There is no weak link and no letdown when any of the starters are taken out with anyone they are replaced with. Such a great team!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...To my untrained eyes, it appears that they've improved every game...I mentioned in another thread that it's been great to see the individual improvements as well - every single player is playing at their highest level and meshing with the team - not only does the chemistry seem great, but no matter who is in the game, it seems that they are all giving 100% and not doing any more that is needed from them...It's been especially great to see how well Griner is playing as well as Augustus, Fowles, Whalen, and Stewie...There is no weak link and no letdown when any of the starters are taken out...

Agreed 100%. Funny how some players who shouldn't have been on the team seem to know how to play basketball after all.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In the quotes after the game on the USA Basketball site a couple of the players mentioned that they haven't been anywhere except the boat and the arena, but with an off day today they are headed to the Olympic village and hope to catch some of the other competitions today.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agreed 100%. Funny how some players who shouldn't have been on the team seem to know how to play basketball after all.
A lot of what happens on this team is that the coaches define specific roles for each player and they accept those roles with enthusiasm - e.g. Angel, you focus on defensive intensity and disruption, and on offense, we aren't going to run anything specifically for you, but let your instinct take over when things break down, and with the passers we have you will pick up some points - and she says 'yes, Boss' and goes out and does it. It is a completely different role than she every plays professionally, but she sure seems to love it and embrace it. And the same is true for most of the players - Griner, Charles, and Fowles are primary options, DT and Maya and EDD the same outside, and everyone else is picking up offensive chances when those six do not have shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom