US WNT in Soccer Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US WNT in Soccer Schedule

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I love Lindsey Horan, but I don't think the US takes the olympics without Julie Ertz. Lindsey is trying really hard to be a defensive midfielder, but her instincts keep getting the better of her and she is constantly creeping forward.

Edit: I'm watching last night's game now, and Sonnett's just come in as the holding mid. I like that idea.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I love Lindsey Horan, but I don't think the US takes the olympics without Julie Ertz. Lindsey is trying really hard to be a defensive midfielder, but her instincts keep getting the better of her and she is constantly creeping forward.
Hoping Ertz can compete in the last two friendlies in July. Horan is game, but no one can replace Ertz. She clogs the middle and pushes forward too.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Edit: I'm watching last night's game now, and Sonnett's just come in as the holding mid. I like that idea.
Hoping Ertz can compete in the last two friendlies in July. Horan is game, but no one can replace Ertz. She clogs the middle and pushes forward too.

Gotta completely disagree with you. Horan played the 6 beautifully. The only problem with her in that position is she's wasted there. In my book, she's probably the most tactically savvy player we have. Granted, her one drawback is she isn't as athletic as some of the other players on the WNT. When she was with PSG, she played as a Forward.

True that Ertz clogs the middle, she more of a destroyer type 6. But I much, much prefer a 6 that can pass.

If we had another 8/10 besides Lavelle that I really liked, I'd prefer Horan at the 6. But for now, (maybe if Macario comes good) Ertz/Horan/Lavelle is our best midfield.

I like Sonnett, and thought, hmmm maybe as a 6? Ok. But she's gonna need a lot more work to pull that off. It didn't go too well with her in there the other night. In fact Horan had to drop back into that area to keep the ball moving. I think Sullivan might (might) be able to take that spot eventually.

Reaction Score
I thought Heath was out of contention because of injuries? She hasn't played in months, so I doubt she's in the pool of players. The team is stacked and there are going to be quite a few broken hearts once the roster is announced.
She has been in camp as a " team practice player." But does not yet participate in all of the drills.

Reaction Score
Gotta completely disagree with you. Horan played the 6 beautifully. The only problem with her in that position is she's wasted there. In my book, she's probably the most tactically savvy player we have. Granted, her one drawback is she isn't as athletic as some of the other players on the WNT. When she was with PSG, she played as a Forward.

True that Ertz clogs the middle, she more of a destroyer type 6. But I much, much prefer a 6 that can pass.

If we had another 8/10 besides Lavelle that I really liked, I'd prefer Horan at the 6. But for now, (maybe if Macario comes good) Ertz/Horan/Lavelle is our best midfield.

I like Sonnett, and thought, hmmm maybe as a 6? Ok. But she's gonna need a lot more work to pull that off. It didn't go too well with her in there the other night. In fact Horan had to drop back into that area to keep the ball moving. I think Sullivan might (might) be able to take that spot eventually.
I, too, think Horan has done a great job. She is a wonderful passer and tough as nails. She has not yet shown the offensive danger that Ertz brings, but is not far away. A healthy Ertz remains the best we can do at the position. But, given her absence, we have to be pretty happy with what Horan has contributed.

Reaction Score
I would think that the selection needs to happen very soon if it hasn’t already but not announced. Players need to know their status so they can either re-join their pro teams or get ready for the games with Mexico and the Olympics.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I, too, think Horan has done a great job. She is a wonderful passer and tough as nails. She has not yet shown the offensive danger that Ertz brings, but is not far away. A healthy Ertz remains the best we can do at the position. But, given her absence, we have to be pretty happy with what Horan has contributed.
What do you mean by that?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the rules relating to the 4 alternates that get to go to the olympics in addition to the regular roster? Can they just replace someone one the roster game by game for any reason or must there be a specific reason, such as injury, to allow an alternate to replace a regular roster member?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the rules relating to the 4 alternates that get to go to the olympics in addition to the regular roster? Can they just replace someone one the roster game by game for any reason or must there be a specific reason, such as injury, to allow an alternate to replace a regular roster member?

An alternate can be added to the roster only in the case of a serious injury or illness. The team's doctor must provide a medical certificate and a FIFA medical committee has to sign off on it. Once a player has been replaced by an alternate, her Olympics is over.

Reaction Score
I would think that the selection needs to happen very soon if it hasn’t already but not announced. Players need to know their status so they can either re-join their pro teams or get ready for the games with Mexico and the Olympics.
Team roster will be released on Good Morning America tomorrow, the ad said tune in at 7am but I can’t imagine it will be announced as soon as it starts.

Reaction Score
Team roster will be released on Good Morning America tomorrow, the ad said tune in at 7am but I can’t imagine it will be announced as soon as it starts.
Thanks. I don’t need to see it live and I haven’t seen 7 am since I retired.

Reaction Score
An alternate can be added to the roster only in the case of a serious injury or illness. The team's doctor must provide a medical certificate and a FIFA medical committee has to sign off on it. Once a player has been replaced by an alternate, her Olympics is over.
Thanks Stamfordhusky. I suspect some of the veteran players who don't make the roster would be hesitant to accept an alternate slot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ertz has been a prolific and reliable scorer. I don't think Horan has done that so much from Julie's position.
Well one, Horan has only played there a few times, so you can't really compare their scoring from that position specifically. But overall, Horan has scored more goals than Ertz, in fewer games.

I'll give you Ertz is probably a better option at the 6 defensively. But Horan is head and shoulders better from an offensive perspective at the 6.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They just announced "it's coming up". So, maybe, possibly, in the next segment. Or maybe they'll keep saying it's coming up for another hour. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Roster was released:
Goalkeepers: Alyssa Naeher, Adrianna Franch
Defenders: Abby Dahlkemper, Tierna Davidson, Crystal Dunn, Kelley O'Hara, Becky Sauerbrunn, Emily Sonnett
Midfielders: Julie Ertz, Lindsey Horan, Rose Lavelle, Kristie Mewis, Sam Mewis
Forwards: Tobin Heath, Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan, Christen Press, Megan Rapinoe

Alternates: Jane Campbell (GK), Casey Kreuger (Defender), Catarina Macario (Midfielder), Lynn Williams (Forward)

Roster is mostly as predicted; Lynn Williams played herself out of contention these past 6 months and Vlatko would rather go with an 80%+Tobin Heath than Lynn up front. Kristie Mewis made the team, likely to stack the midfield a bit with Julie Ertz recovering from an injury. Happy that both Mewis sisters made the team!

The average age of the team is over 30 and the Forwards has to be closer to 32/33. Lots of experience on this roster and it seems Vlatko went with those he trusts rather than those who've played more minutes this year.

Reaction Score
This will be the final curtain call for a good number of the 18 selected. The team will move drastically from World Cup/Olympics experience to inexperienced but very talented youth. I guess the coach is Ok with that. It will be enjoyable to see the young players moving forward.

We should learn what we can expect from Heath and Ertz in the Olympics with the games against Mexico.

I thought Purce had a chance for an alternate spot. Played well when she had the chance and can play multi positions.

Reaction Score
Based on what I saw, she has great potential but not ready for prime time. Looked a little lost out there.

Reaction Score
Based on what I saw, she has great potential but not ready for prime time. Looked a little lost out there.

If you're referring to Macario, I didn't think she looked lost - I actually felt she was just so creative, it looked unique. Tobin has looked that way at times too (in her early years).

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
USWNT defeated Mexico 4-0 in friendly last night in Ct. Press scored twice, the Mewis girls had a sister-sister goal, and just returning Tobin Heath scored what has been called a "wonder" goal. Nice work by the ladies.

Reaction Score
What a wild night! We were there in the insane rain watching every minute. Crystal Dunn is not getting much attention but, to me, was the most outstanding player on the field. Sammy Bananas and Press were also incredible last night as was Dahlkemper and Sauerbrunn (not a surprise). Per normal, the US dominated possession and wore down the defenders - with goals coming more frequently as the game wore on.

When Press, Heath and Macario were on the field together, it was electric. Their ability to improvise, create and control the play is so incredible to watch.

On the flip side, O'Hara had a rough game. She got beat frequently and had way too many turnovers. Alex Morgan also struggled - taking wild shots when a wide open teammate was an easy pass away.

Reaction Score
They looked good. So much talent on this team. Dunn can do everything and Press is always in the right place.

I have a questions for those who have a better understanding of positions. Can either of the Mewes sisters play Horan’s spot if Ertz isn’t ready? This would get laVelle on the field and Horan is no Ertz.

With Heath back who sits? My choice would be Morgan. Go with Rapino, Press, Heath. They all can do more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom