US vs China Exhibition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US vs China Exhibition

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
After watching most of the game--with Maya, Tina, and Britney absent--and thinking back to Rio, I'd say that the most indispensable player is Sue Bird. I'd put Sylvia a close second, followed by Diana.

The most explosive player to the basket is still Tiffany Hayes. God, she is quick!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A feisty Sue:

“I thought this game was great," Bird said in a USA Basketball release. "You know Dawn [Staley] said it in her pregame talk, we beat up on each other for two days and now we got to beat up on somebody else. … So this is just the first step but I think it was a pretty good one."

Former UConn Basketball Stars Shine In USA Win Over China

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
After watching most of the game--with Maya, Tina, and Britney absent--and thinking back to Rio, I'd say that the most indispensable player is Sue Bird. I'd put Sylvia a close second, followed by Diana.

The most explosive player to the basket is still Tiffany Hayes. God, she is quick!
The problem being - as to Sue Bird - she can't be indispensable for ever. And with the evolution of the game, I think she is going to be very, very difficult to replace.

To me, she has parts of her game that are a throwback to when point guards were point guards (think Ticha P.) plus a great ability to score. Those first rate skills at running a team and "knowing" (instinctively) the right next move are what is becoming scarcer in the game.

Reaction Score
The problem being - as to Sue Bird - she can't be indispensable for ever. And with the evolution of the game, I think she is going to be very, very difficult to replace.

To me, she has parts of her game that are a throwback to when point guards were point guards (think Ticha P.) plus a great ability to score. Those first rate skills at running a team and "knowing" (instinctively) the right next move are what is becoming scarcer in the game.
I agree with your assessment. However, the players that are being selected for these prestigious teams already have the unselfish quality, or know that they need to develop it in order to be on the team. The Sue Bird's of EBB are becoming scarce, but maybe the evolution of the game will have more people be less selfish.... okay probably not the majority. But the few who get selected to even try out for the team have to be able to dish the rock to open teammates. Just about every player looked the part in the exhibition game.

Reaction Score
The starting 5 did but after that they struggled with decision making and turnovers against a young China team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment. However, the players that are being selected for these prestigious teams already have the unselfish quality, or know that they need to develop it in order to be on the team. The Sue Bird's of EBB are becoming scarce, but maybe the evolution of the game will have more people be less selfish.... okay probably not the majority. But the few who get selected to even try out for the team have to be able to dish the rock to open teammates. Just about every player looked the part in the exhibition game.
The issue, however, isn't (at least to my eyes) selfishness. I have read amazing assist info on players that are often talked about as "selfish", plus I heard one coach (in person) point out that if you are the best player - and you have the best shot - then take it.

It is the instinctive understanding of who has the best shot that is, I think, becoming scarcer. Just because you pass (and even if the recipient scores) that doesn't always mean it was the "right" pass or the "best" shot. In my opinion, players like Sue will, on average, make the "right" play more often than not. But I wasn't bringing selfishness into it Selfish players in the women's game don't last or succeed very often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom