US U20's qualify for 2017 World Cup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US U20's qualify for 2017 World Cup

Reaction Score
Portugal beat the hosts S. Korea 3-1. Portugal got off to slow start - lost to Zambia, tied Costa Rica, beat Iran - but they have picked it up. They will get the Zambia v Germany winner.

Venezuela beat Japan 1-0 in AET. Venezuela has been one of the most dominant teams in this tournament so far. Won all 4 matches, scored 10, have yet to concede a goal (France is right there with them, +9 GD without conceding thru 3 games). The winner of US v New Zealand will play Venezuela

We would have to play them on two days less rest.

Nothing to do but focus on beating NZ anyway. The three player suspensions on top of the Zelazem injury will make that challenging enough.

Reaction Score
The last 5-10 minutes of regular time in Zambia v Germany match has been nuts... Zambia scored in the 86th minute to take a 3-1 lead. Germany scored in the 89th minute and then tied it up in the final moments of extra time. Currently 3-3 in AET, at the 103rd minute mark.

England beat Costa Rica 2-1, and will play the winner of Mexico v Senegal in the quarters.
Uruguay beat Saudi Arabia 1-0, and will play Portugal in the quarters. Uruguay has yet to concede a goal thru 4 games.

Reaction Score
US blew out NZ, 6-0... They were up 1-0 at the half, and just kicked it up a notch in the 2nd half. Big test in the quarters v. Venezuela, who have been the most dominant team in the tournament thus far. On the up side, 3 of our regular starters did not play today due to suspensions, so they will be fresh.

Italy upset tournament 'favorites' France, 2-1.
Mexico flopped and dove their way to a 1-0 over a 10 man Senegal team.

So the quarter-finals look like:
Sunday, June 4
2AM US - Venezuela
5AM Uruguay v Portugal

Monday, June 5
4AM Italy v. Zambia
7AM England v Mexico

Reaction Score
Appreciative of the updates!

Sargent is an animal, tough to believe he's only 17. One day soon he's going to become the savior of all gingers.

Also, I feel like in our talent pool we have some other, higher profile u20 players that are in Europe but weren't called in for this tournament (Weston McKennie at Schalke, Josh Perez at Fiorentina, Matthew Olosunde at Manchester United). I'd imagine this could be due to them not playing many competitive minutes at these clubs, or they're planning on being used in other age groups for various international tournaments. Still, both McKennie and Perez got ample training with their respective first teams.

Can't wait to see Carter-Vickers in the future. I haven't seen him much on the radar for potentially making the 2018 WC squad (should we qualify) but I'd rather have him as a depth option than someone like Besler, who's played incredibly well throughout his career, but will be on the wrong side of 30 and doesn't have the flair/potential of CCV or another young-ish CB like Zimmerman that could get valuable growth from being part of the experience.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They looked great today. Only scored once in the first half but were dominant. Once they scored their second, the floodgates open. Good mix of team play and individual skill.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They looked great today. Only scored once in the first half but were dominant. Once they scored their second, the floodgates open. Good mix of team play and individual skill.
Glad I DVR'd this, this morning before I left for work. Give me something to watch tonight. :D

Reaction Score
Appreciative of the updates!

Sargent is an animal, tough to believe he's only 17. One day soon he's going to become the savior of all gingers.

Also, I feel like in our talent pool we have some other, higher profile u20 players that are in Europe but weren't called in for this tournament (Weston McKennie at Schalke, Josh Perez at Fiorentina, Matthew Olosunde at Manchester United). I'd imagine this could be due to them not playing many competitive minutes at these clubs, or they're planning on being used in other age groups for various international tournaments. Still, both McKennie and Perez got ample training with their respective first teams.

Can't wait to see Carter-Vickers in the future. I haven't seen him much on the radar for potentially making the 2018 WC squad (should we qualify) but I'd rather have him as a depth option than someone like Besler, who's played incredibly well throughout his career, but will be on the wrong side of 30 and doesn't have the flair/potential of CCV or another young-ish CB like Zimmerman that could get valuable growth from being part of the experience.

Shalke refused to release Wright, McKennie, and Tatigue. I believe Fiorentina did not want to release Perez as well. Clubs are not obligated to release their players for non senior national team events.

Reaction Score
Shalke refused to release Wright, McKennie, and Tatigue. I believe Fiorentina did not want to release Perez as well. Clubs are not obligated to release their players for non senior national team events.

That's a good problem to have too.

Reaction Score
Set your DVRS. U-20's play in the quarterfinals vs Venezuela at 2am on FS2 tonight.

The senior national team also plays Venezuela on FS1 tonight at 10 (I think kickoff is more towards 10:30).

Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing; they got outplayed the entire game, but held off the potent offense. Then they had an incredible chance at the end of regular time with the EPB header (he's got a great future too. Should be strong at CB for the future). Then just got broken down in extra time before scoring to breathe some life back. Overall pleased with the team. The future is fefinitlry bright for Stars and Stripes.

Reaction Score
EPB was dressing for MLS games when he was a junior in high school. He would attend practice in between classes. He spent last season on loan in Portugal with a B side of one of the bigger clubs there. Interested in seeing what he can do as a pro in MLS but Sporting isn't afraid to sell a player so I think he is on the market and will be sold within the next 12 months.

Reaction Score
I missed the game, forgot to DVR it. Venezuela U20's have been the most dominant team in the tournament. Scoring goals, not conceding goals. Good that we held them scoreless during regulation, sounds like a missed opportunity down the stretch. Seems like we have some solid young guys coming up, hopefully they continue to develop.

CONCACAF is officially out of the U20 finals. Mexico lost to England 1-0.
Italy, playing with 10 men the entire 2nd half and the additional 30 mins of AET, beat Zambia 3-2 in AET.

The semi's will be Uruguay v Venezuela and Italy v England. Matches are Thursday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom