US U20's qualify for 2017 World Cup | The Boneyard

US U20's qualify for 2017 World Cup

Reaction Score
U20's beat El Salvador last night, 2-1 to secure a spot in S. Korea this summer. Check out this goal by UMd's Eryk Williamson

They play Honduras Sunday for the CONCACAF U20 championship.

US is 4-1 in the competition, losing 1-0 to Panama in the opening game, then beating Haiti, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Mexico, and El Salvador.

Side note, Klinsmann starting in goal for US.

Reaction Score
And won without the European U-20s who they expect to play in the finals this summer: Pulisic, Zalalem and Carter-Vickers, among others.

Reaction Score
I doubt Pulisic plays in that one.
Agreed. The USMNT has Hex qualifying matches beginning a day or two after the U20 WC championship match.... Pulisic will be in camp with the senior side preparing for home v T&T and @ Mexico.

Reaction Score
The U20 World Cup just got underway...
US plays Monday v Ecuador. The other two teams in the group are Saudi Arabia and Senegal.

Mexico opened with a 3-2 win over Vanuatu.
Venezuela beat Germany 2-0 in that groups other game.

England best Argentina 3-0 and S. Korea best Guinea 3-0.

Reaction Score
US earns a point in a dramatic 3-3 draw. They fell behind 2-0 early conceding 2 goals in the first 7 minutes; eventually tied it at 2 with both goals scored from 17 year old Joshua Sargent (captain of the U17 team) early second half; went down 3-2 in the 64th minute, and tied it in the 4th minute of added time, just before the whistle.

Zelalem was subbed off due to an injury in the 34th minute (not sure what happened), and CCV did not play at all.

Sargent's second goal

Reaction Score
And won without the European U-20s who they expect to play in the finals this summer: Pulisic, Zalalem and Carter-Vickers, among others.

Carter-Vickers was not training with Spurs when he left for the national team due to injury. I assume that not playing means he has not recovered yet.

Reaction Score
Good result for the U20's, beating Senegal 1-0. CCV is back in the line up. He, Brown, Sargent, were all solid. Sargent, the 17 year old, scored again for the US (3rd goal in 2 matches).
Saudi Arabia beat Ecuador earlier, so the US is in 1st place in the group. Next match is Sunday, 5AM v. Saudi

Reaction Score
Apparently Sargent has reached a verbal agreement with Werder Bremen that he can sign when he's 18. Today's goal was a piece of skill absolutely worthy of Harry Kane.

Going back to earlier discussions on the thread, by all reports the team became much better in game 1 when Zelalem blew out his ACL. Bad break for the young man, and I wish him a full recovery, but with this added on to his disappointing spell in the Dutch second division, I continue to believe that, while skilled, he has been vastly overhyped.

Time will tell. Hopefully not.

Reaction Score

The announcers were commenting that many scouts were talking up Sargent's ability to move with or without the ball, and how he positions himself is at a very high level (well beyond a 17 year old). He's having quite the coming out party, hopefully it continues.

Reaction Score
Bremen conceded they may not sign him since bigger clubs now have shown interest. Here's to hoping he lands at a club that let's him develop

Reaction Score
If you're awake, having your morning coffee, not doing much.... turn on Italy v Japan U20's (on FS1). Pretty entertaining match. Italy scored 2 in opening 7 minutes. Japan scored in the 20th minute to make it 2-1. Both teams needing a win as it is potentially a win or go home match (depending on what other 3rd place teams do).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If you're awake, having your morning coffee, not doing much.... turn on Italy v Japan U20's (on FS1). Pretty entertaining match. Italy scored 2 in opening 7 minutes. Japan scored in the 20th minute to make it 2-1. Both teams needing a win as it is potentially a win or go home match (depending on what other 3rd place teams do).

Ended 2-2, whereby the last 6 minutes of the game were Italian defenders passing it back and forth. Strangest thing I've ever seen. Italy knew it was through to the next round, but Japan has to hope it gets a "best third place" finish to advance. I suppose Japan's chances are very high to do so, but man, I'd hate to leave it up to chance with 6 minutes left to do something about it...

Reaction Score
Ended 2-2, whereby the last 6 minutes of the game were Italian defenders passing it back and forth. Strangest thing I've ever seen. Italy knew it was through to the next round, but Japan has to hope it gets a "best third place" finish to advance. I suppose Japan's chances are very high to do so, but man, I'd hate to leave it up to chance with 6 minutes left to do something about it...
Japan was already assured to advance if it finished 2-2. They had more points than 3rd place Argentina, and scored more goals (the next tie breaker) than 3rd place Germany. My guess is they didn't want to risk a counter attack and possibly losing, so they conceded the draw and settled for 3rd place.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Japan was already assured to advance if it finished 2-2. They had more points than 3rd place Argentina, and scored more goals (the next tie breaker) than 3rd place Germany. My guess is they didn't want to risk a counter attack and possibly losing, so they conceded the draw and settled for 3rd place.

The way the announcers were making it sound, there was still a chance they could be sent home with a draw. I haven't looked at the other tables, so ill take your word for it...

Reaction Score
Ya, I wasn't sure either, so looked up the tie - breakers for 3rd place teams after your post (I didn't have volume on the game, so didn't hear the announcers commentary). 1st tie-breaker was points, 2nd tie-breaker goal diff, and third was goals scored. Argentina has 3 points, so Japan and Germany are ahead of them. Japan and Germany tied on the first two tie-breakers, but Japan scored one more goal (the 3rd tie-brekaer).

Reaction Score
US wins their group, after drawing w/ Saudi 1-1. CCV sent off at 45th minute for a second yellow (both yellow cards were suspect at best). US was up 1-0 at the time. Saudi equalized off a corner kick in 75th minute or there about.

US gets New Zealand in the next round, but will be without CCV, and 2 other starters due to yellow card accumulation.

Reaction Score
CCV being sent off was absurd. The first yellow was a soft hold, that players get away with it not even being a foul all the time (although I had no problem with the foul call). But it would almost never have been a card. The second yellow -- even if you don't think someone on a yellow needs to get a little more slack) was barely and maybe a foul. Never in a million years would it be called for a card.

What can you do.

Reaction Score
Portugal beat the hosts S. Korea 3-1. Portugal got off to slow start - lost to Zambia, tied Costa Rica, beat Iran - but they have picked it up. They will get the Zambia v Germany winner.

Venezuela beat Japan 1-0 in AET. Venezuela has been one of the most dominant teams in this tournament so far. Won all 4 matches, scored 10, have yet to concede a goal (France is right there with them, +9 GD without conceding thru 3 games). The winner of US v New Zealand will play Venezuela

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom