US U17 & U20’s | The Boneyard

US U17 & U20’s

Reaction Score
The U17 qualifies for the World Cup. They lost in the CONCACAF U17 final (2-1 to Mexico), but from everything I read the US dominated most of the match, they just couldn’t finish several great opportunities early, and apparently Mexico’s keeper made a few ridiculous saves.

The U20’s World Cup gets going next week in Poland. The US is grouped with Ukraine, Nigeria, and Qatar. Top 2 advance, along with the 4 best 3rd place teams (from 6 groups). From what I’ve read Nigeria is the favorite in the group, and then the US/Ukraine, but all pretty close.

No Sargent on the roster, but Weah is there. He was released from club duty early to participate. Big tournament for him as PSG apparently are looking to sell him, and he burned some bridges at Celtic by demanding he be released early for this tournament.

Reaction Score
Weah and the manager at Celtic did not get along. Celtic fans were none too pleased over the way he was treated.

Reaction Score
Great opportunity for Weah to showcase his talent at this stage against a lot of his European peers. Obv would like to see him with the MNT for the Gold Cup but this may be best for him at this time.

up the baby yanks!!

Reaction Score
US v Ukraine under way. It is tied 1-1 in the 35th minute. Ukraine opened the scoring in the 26th minute. Defender got beat on a long ball and the Ukrainian attacked finished nicely 1 on 1 v the keeper. The US tied it in the 32nd. Weah assisting on Servania’s goal, it was a really nice buildup and a lot of one touch passing involving 4 or 5 US players.

Reaction Score
Ukraine 2 - US 1. I didn’t watch any of the 2nd half, so no clue how they looked. US had much control in the 1st half tho. Puts them in pretty much a must win v Nigeria (who is the group favorite) for their next match. Nigeria beat Qatar 4-0. So far the CONCACAF is 0-3 (Mexico lost 2-1 to Italy, Honduras was routed by New Zealand), and Panama plays Mali tomorrow in their first match.

Reaction Score
I watched. Thought the U-20 team passed much better than the USMNT. But the back line was awful.

BTW, Weah should be on the Gold Cup. Period.

Reaction Score
It is sad to see a player like Durkin fall off so much from what he was just a year or two ago. I used to think he was the 2nd best player in the pipeline. Now he is just a disaster out there. another example of young talent gone wrong.

The US kids needs to breathe. They are so impatient that they are constantly giving the ball away.

I don't blame the backline at all. When your mid-fielders commit turnover after turnover, you get countered and killed, especially when the opponent has a world class finisher. The back line is going to look stupid with Durkin, Weah and a few others playing so sloppy.

Reaction Score
US v Nigeria in a few minutes. Ukraine just beat Qatar 1-0. Important for the US to get a point at least. They could still advance with a loss (assuming they beat Qatar and finish as one of the top 4 3rd place teams), but may be tough. All of CONCACAF is struggling this tournament.

Reaction Score
Gooooool. 1-0 US. Soto heads home a corner in the 18th minute. He was unmarked and from point blank range. US has controlled possession and pressed the game, spending most of the first 20 minutes in Nigeria’s half of the field. Some really good ball movement.
Still wary of Nigeria’s ability to counter, they’ve looked dangerous in a few occasions.

Physical game. Nigerian players taking a page out of Mexico’s playbook... diving and rolling around quite a bit.

Reaction Score
1-0 at the break. US dominated most the first half, had a second goal disallowed for off-sides (it was close, VAR confirmed the linesman’s decision). Nigeria had the better of the final 15 minutes tho.

Reaction Score
Wow. 2-0 US, Soto scoring in the opening 39 seconds of the half. He’s making himself some money this match.

Reaction Score
VAR overturns what would have been a Nigeria PK (the Player was off-side). Still 2-0 68th minute.

Reaction Score
You didn't mention Lalas was doing the game. That should be a trigger warning. Instamute.
Ha... I had no idea. Have the game on mute, watching it on my iPhone. Lucky me, probably would have turned it off if I heard that knob talking.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I watched. Thought the U-20 team passed much better than the USMNT. But the back line was awful.

BTW, Weah should be on the Gold Cup. Period.
I believe he wanted to play in the WC. So they are letting him.

Reaction Score

good read. whether he makes it to barca's first team or not, we now have kids knocking at the door at some major clubs

He looked like a rocket dribbling down the right side against Ukraine. Didn't notice him as much versus Nigeria. But he flashes elite athleticism for sure.

Reaction Score
Wow. Norway 12 - Honduras 0.
I’ll give the Norwegians this, they left nothing to chance that another 3rd place team with 3 points will edge them on goal diff or goals scored.

CONCACAF getting curb stomped (Mexico and Honduras finishing 4th, Panama and USA both sitting in 3rd with a match to play).

Reaction Score
Weah opens the scoring. 1-0 US in the 76th minute.
Durkin picked up a stupid yellow card earlier, so he missed the next match.

Reaction Score
US wins 1-0. They did not look nearly as strong as the prior match. They did squander a few opportunities, and Mendez failed to convert a PK, but they held on for the win. US finished 2nd place in the group, behind Ukraine. US will play either France or Mali (those two play tomorrow, most likely France will win) in the round of 16.

Unfortunately 2 key starters, Durkin and Mendez, will miss the next round due to yellow card accumulation.

Reaction Score
Still can’t believe Weah isn’t even on the the 40 man roster. Is there rule written somewhere that says he can’t play in both cups?

Is it really that important to get Paul Arriola minutes who better be a benchwarmer at best by 2022.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom