US Team | The Boneyard

US Team

Reaction Score
As I see it Clark was a long shot to make the team because she didn't participate in the camp due to being in the FF. I know many people wanted and expected her on the team but it seemed pretty cut and dried to me.

I wouldn't have put DT on the team and I wonder if C. Gray will be able to play but as usual there are always going to be tough cuts and decisions.

Reaction Score
As I see it Clark was a long shot to make the team because she didn't participate in the camp due to being in the FF. I know many people wanted and expected her on the team but it seemed pretty cut and dried to me.

I wouldn't have put DT on the team and I wonder if C. Gray will be able to play but as usual there are always going to be tough cuts and decisions.
I don't have a problem with CC being left off the team either; I feel she needs to upgrade her defense. She definitely could have been a situational asset offensively.

DT is a poor selection though I feel; plenty other players with higher skill levels.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with CC being left off the team either; I feel she needs to upgrade her defense. She definitely could have been a situational asset offensively.

DT is a poor selection though I feel; plenty other players with higher skill levels.
Leaving Brionna Jones off, is a disgrace, after she was on the last World Cup team.
5 front court players and 7 guards.
DT should gracefully decline her spot, and give it to Jones who deserves to be on the team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
DT is no way shape or form should be on this roster if they're wanting to put their top players out there, or if they're planning to build for the future. I have no problem with Caitlin Clark not being on here, but will point out her WNBA numbers are better than to DT's aside from TOs and she's 20 years younger. The real players who got screwed over by the political game are ones like Allisha Gray, Rhyne Howard, Betnijah Laney-Hamilton, and Arike Ogunbowale. All have attended training camps and events and are clearly two way better players than DT.

Furthermore, they decide to leave off Skylar Diggins-Smith, leaving the roster with 1 true PG (Chelsea Gray) who might not be healthy to even play in the Olympics. At the end of the day though, USA basketball has the luxury to play the political game since the talent pool is so deep and any group of 12 from the top 30-40 players in the country would likely win gold.

Reaction Score
Gotta think Gray is close to returning if USA Basketball included her without a true backup point.

Reaction Score
Gotta think Gray is close to returning if USA Basketball included her without a true backup point.
It looks like she’s been practicing. I feel like the Aces are holding her out to be safe for later in the season, not because she’s not good to go.

Reaction Score
All these people crying about DT making the team making my heart so happy! Drink that copium up people. I hope she carrying the flag at opening ceremonies too just to run salt in the haters wounds!.
DT is hurting her own legacy by being on the team. She hasn't been good for a number of years.
I respect someone like Sue who knew it was time to go and left.
I have lost a lot of respect for DT, for hanging on just for a payday.
The truly great ones know when it's time to leave.

Reaction Score
DT is hurting her own legacy by being on the team. She hasn't been good for a number of years.
I hope DT plays until she’s 50 and they have to wheel her off the court tbh. I think she thrives off the salt from haters tears so takes Iike this sustain her.

DT has always been a controversial unpopular player and if she starts bowing to popular opinion that is the only thing that would make me lose respect for her.

Reaction Score
DT has been pretty good offensively still. Age has definitely caught up to her, but she's stil serviceable. I don't think she's one of the best players in the country though, but oh well.

I'm really happy for Jackie Young! I think she's turned into one of the best 2 way guards and has a complete offensive game now.

Reaction Score
All these people crying about DT making the team making my heart so happy! Drink that copium up people. I hope she carrying the flag at opening ceremonies too just to run salt in the haters wounds!.

We don’t agree on Stewie but this… we def do!!

Reaction Score
Just say you don’t like DT. Cuz this take… she ballin this year. You say it’s time. When she’s ready, she’s ready.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The spin on this is painful already. There's a USA Today writer chastising USA Basketball using the "more eyes on the sport" argument.
Specifically, the writer is Christine Brennan, who has covered Olympic Sports for many cycles.
Yes, she did make the argument that the U.S.A. Selection Committee missed a chance to elevate Women's Basketball at the Olympics:

"Even at the women’s gold-medal basketball games at the Olympics, the press tribune is almost always half-empty, if not worse. Clark of course would have changed all that, igniting interest not just among U.S. media but reporters around the world."

What I find most interesting is something she claimed two sources told her:

"Two other sources, both long-time U.S. basketball veterans with decades of experience in the women’s game, told USA TODAY Sports Friday that concern over how Clark’s millions of fans would react to what would likely be limited playing time on a stacked roster was a factor in the decision making. If true, that would be an extraordinary admission of the tension that this multi-million-dollar sensation, who signs autographs for dozens of children before and after every game, has caused for the old guard of women’s basketball. The two people spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter."

If there's any truth to this, It's interesting that U.S.A. Basketball chose to have two neophytes represent the Olympics on the 3x3 team at the Olympics -- Cameron Brink and Hailey Van Lith, along with a player not in the WNBA, Cierra Burdick -- while opting not to have a new player on 5x5. As noted on another thread, why did Allisha Gray -- arguably the best U.S. player on the last 3x3 team in the Olympics -- not make any U.S.A. team? She's certainly playing well enough.

Reaction Score
Specifically, the writer is Christine Brennan, who has covered Olympic Sports for many cycles.
Yes, she did make the argument that the U.S.A. Selection Committee missed a chance to elevate Women's Basketball at the Olympics:

"Even at the women’s gold-medal basketball games at the Olympics, the press tribune is almost always half-empty, if not worse. Clark of course would have changed all that, igniting interest not just among U.S. media but reporters around the world."

"Two other sources, both long-time U.S. basketball veterans with decades of experience in the women’s game, told USA TODAY Sports Friday that concern over how Clark’s millions of fans would react to what would likely be limited playing time on a stacked roster was a factor in the decision making. If true, that would be an extraordinary admission of the tension that this multi-million-dollar sensation, who signs autographs for dozens of children before and after every game, has caused for the old guard of women’s basketball. The two people spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter."

If there's any truth to this, It's interesting that U.S.A. Basketball chose to have two neophytes represent the Olympics on the 3x3 team at the Olympics -- Cameron Brink and Hailey Van Lith, along with a player not in the WNBA, Cierra Burdick -- while opting not to have a new player on 5x5. As noted on another thread, why did Allisha Gray -- arguably the best U.S. player on the last 3x3 team in the Olympics -- not make any U.S.A. team? She's certainly playing well enough.

Or how about her attitude on the court!?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

That's baloney. What is different is at her age she can't deliver consistently what she used But on any given night is as good as anybody ofensively. In a limited minute environment the Olympic team is a perfect fit for her.

Reaction Score

I mean if the major reason for bringing her is the press and eyeballs she would bringing her weighing that against the the backlash of these eyeballs and press seems logical.

Also worth noting both Brink and Hailey Van Lith played for team USA during the summer in 3 on 3 and won gold I believe. Clark has seemingly rejected invites to play with USA basketball since her u-19 games. So while new, they have been active in the USA basketball system the last few years while Clark has prioritized other things.

Reaction Score
Just say you don’t like DT. Cuz this take… she ballin this year. You say it’s time. When she’s ready, she’s ready.
Accuse me of cherry picking stats, Geew1992, but DT is shooting 37 percent this season, with all of 1.1 assists per game. Although I haven't seen all of the Mercury's games, last I saw, she's playing even less defense than she did in recent years, when she played virtually no D.

I respect what Diana did for the Huskies and throughout much of her WNBA career but, my gosh, the USA does not need her for leadership. The rest of the team abounds with leadership.

Reaction Score

To be fair, Brink and Van Lith have been doing 3 x 3 for a couple years now. It shouldn't be a surprise they were chosen considering how they've performed. Not to mention Plum was 3 x 3 for Tokyo before being considered for the 5x5.

The comment about the concern about backlash is interesting. It's also unfortunate as fans because the Olympics and FIBA rules are different for NCAAW or WNBA. I also wonder how fans would react when exposed to FIBA rules as they allow more contact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom