OT: - US Open Tsitsipas vs. Alcaraz (spoiler alert) | The Boneyard

OT: US Open Tsitsipas vs. Alcaraz (spoiler alert)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the match. Holy crap.

Alcaraz is a young 18 year old Spaniard. Tons of potential. And he's already realizing it. Apparently grew up playing on the clay in Spain, but just finished off Tsitsipas in a 5 set thriller.

Alcaraz lost the 4th set 6-0 and looked completely out of it going into the 5th set, but it went to a tie break, and he won 7-5. Cannot believe how much poise the young man had given his youth and the enormity of the match - playing one of the hottest players on the tour.

Definitely a classic, but more than that, watching the emergence of a future superstar.

Not a fan of Stefanos' antics lately - numerous matches, after losing a set, he takes a 7-12 minute bathroom break, taking his tennis bag and cell phone with him. Then you can see his father (also his coach) texting in the stands. When Tsitsipas comes back from the break, he completely changes his tactics.

Coaching is not allowed, but he's been called out now by several stars including Zverev and Murray, among others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Third seed Tsitsipas upset by Spanish teen Alcaraz at US Open

Spanish 18-year-old Carlos Alcaraz stunned Greek third seed Stefanos Tsitsipas on Friday at the US Open, becoming the youngest man into the fourth round at New York in 32 years.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Naomi Osaka just lost 2nd set tie breaker (7-2) to send match to third set. Multiple code violations could have been called due to racket smashing but 'surprisingly' not called

By the way, she is playing an opponent who is so physically small it is really amazing.,

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought Naomi looked out of shape and unmotivated from the getgo
The Canadian kid should have been easy pickings.

This is not the same kid who took the tennis world by storm
several seasons ago.

Too much fame, too much money, too many outside endorsements...
She just doesn't know who she is anymore.
(My 5 and dime analysis).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I thought Naomi looked out of shape and unmotivated from the getgo
The Canadian kid should have been easy pickings.

This is not the same kid who took the tennis world by storm
several seasons ago.

Too much fame, too much money, too many outside endorsements...
She just doesn't know who she is anymore.
(My 5 and dime analysis).
Or perhaps, as she has stated, she is simply experiencing mental health issues, which affect on an equal-opportunity basis people famous or obscure, moneyed or paupered.

I have never ever seen Naomi throw her racket as she did in this match; she's always been cool as a cucumber on court. This is more than just her tennis career in trouble. I hope she finds the support she needs to get better.

She talked after her loss about how tennis has lost its joy for her. Her answer to a Japanese reporter's question is revealing. We probably won't see her again on the court for a while — or who knows?

Reaction Score
Or perhaps, as she has stated, she is simply experiencing mental health issues, which affect on an equal-opportunity basis people famous or obscure, moneyed or paupered.

I have never ever seen Naomi throw her racket as she did in this match; she's always been cool as a cucumber on court. This is more than just her tennis career in trouble. I hope she finds the support she needs to get better.

She talked after her loss about how tennis has lost its joy for her. Her answer to a Japanese reporter's question is revealing. We probably won't see her again on the court for a while — or who knows?

She made a comment about not having fun. When you become number 1 after that initial run - in order to sustain it with all the pressure- I'm not sure many find it "fun." If she feels she needs to step away for a while great for her. Many players step away - and some never come back. Step away is great for the reasons she cited.

There is Agassi's autobiography in which he stated he despised tennis. And called the sport an extremely lonely one. Chris Evert also spoke of loneliness on the tour and marrying John Lloyd because of it.

Tennis is a brutal sport. Nothing wrong for a champion to step away.

Reaction Score
The Osaka -Fernandez match was great too- the 19 year old Canadian looks good, she was hitting & serving well and certainly didn’t look afraid or intimidated. I’m not saying who won,

Reaction Score
Leylah Fernandez is currently my favorite athlete. She took out Kerber in 3 sets yesterday and faces Svitolina tomorrow. LF is a joy to watch and doesn't seem to be a typical flash-in-the-pan US Open shooting star.

She has great feet, is a lefty, can hit with enough power, is indefatigable, has smarts beyond her years (turned 19 today), has touch and makes great shots.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Leylah Fernandez is currently my favorite athlete. She took out Kerber in 3 sets yesterday and faces Svitolina tomorrow. LF is a joy to watch and doesn't seem to be a typical flash-in-the-pan US Open shooting star.

She has great feet, is a lefty, can hit with enough power, is indefatigable, has smarts beyond her years (turned 19 today), has touch and makes great shots.
She has great hands. Some of those shots at her feet that she hit cross court wow. How some one so small can compete at such a level is amazing.

But also, the killer of the 8 minute bathroom break continues on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom