URI Fires David Cox | Page 2 | The Boneyard

URI Fires David Cox

Reaction Score
I also think Hurley would be of the mindset of replacing a great recruiter with another great recruiter more so than bringing in a guy because of familiarity of previous relationship.

Reaction Score
Starting to hear rumors that Cooley may consider going to URI. Sure, he leaves the Big East, but that’s offset by being at a state institution instead of a small private college…
I did hear Cooley is getting tired of all the commuter schools….

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cox was an assistant at Pitt, Georgetown, and Rutgers before URI. Doesn't that qualify as high-major recruiting experience?
If Dan thinks he is the best he can get, he will be here if there is an opening. If not, I am sure he will make calls to help Dave land elsewhere. I don't believe as some suggest, that he is a lock here. Hurley has built a great staff, a better staff than he had at URI. So I'm not convinced hiring his former assistant at URI is the move. Things are different now.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
URI will for sure be looking at Kamani. A-10 state school along the same lines as Umass. Would be interesting to see which one he chooses if Kamani has his choice.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He recruited Tyrese Martin to go to URI. He's pretty good for us, right?
You're looking at this wrong.

If TM (or any kid with a similar profile) were in high school today and we were going head to head with URI for his services would URI stand a chance?

Reaction Score
You're looking at this wrong.

If TM (or any kid with a similar profile) were in high school today and we were going head to head with URI for his services would URI stand a chance?
I’m not looking at it wrong. Is the URI coach the next Danny Hurley? Because Danny Hurley got him to go there. You’re being elitist and obtuse.

Reaction Score
I’m not looking at it wrong. Is the URI coach the next Danny Hurley? Because Danny Hurley got him to go there. You’re being elitist and obtuse.
I’m struggling to understand your point here. It feels like you’re just being contrarian for the sake of it. TM was ranked in the 200’s coming out of high school and Hurley was not recruiting against top college programs for him. The player TM has become has nothing to do with the ability to recruit to URI. The reality is whoever ends up at URI will not realistically be competing for recruits on a regular basis with UConn or Providence. That should not be a controversial statement and the suggestion that it makes someone “elitist and obtuse” is laughably dumb.

Reaction Score
I’m struggling to understand your point here. It feels like you’re just being contrarian for the sake of it. TM was ranked in the 200’s coming out of high school and Hurley was not recruiting against top college programs for him. The player TM has become has nothing to do with the ability to recruit to URI. The reality is whoever ends up at URI will not realistically be competing for recruits on a regular basis with UConn or Providence. That should not be a controversial statement and the suggestion that it makes someone “elitist and obtuse” is laughably dumb.
Classic “Where is the Dove”.

Reaction Score
Nope. I cut bait right before you turn it into a political debate. Have a good night.
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

What on earth are you talking about? The topic was recruiting to URI vs UConn. I applaud your attempt to distract from your position here with complete nonsense though.

Reaction Score
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

What on earth are you talking about? The topic was recruiting to URI vs UConn. I applaud your attempt to distract from your position here with complete nonsense though.
Your path is predictable and I’m not feeding the beast. You’re so right!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why are we suddenly sour on Cox? I remember the whole board was hoping he’d lose the job at URI so he’d follow Hurley over here.

Reaction Score
Why are we suddenly sour on Cox? I remember the whole board was hoping he’d lose the job at URI so he’d follow Hurley over here.
I get that sentiment for sure - but I watched the vast majority of their games This year as we mentored a key contributor for URI earlier in his career.

Negatives:
KO level energy (read: no energy)
Team had super low collective bball IQ (again, KO)
Team found new ways to lose winnable games (cough, KO)

Despite many High profile transfers, ran offense through two centers mostly at same time all year (not an X&O guy at all), while teams played small vs them a lot.

No adjustments in-game (2nd halves were often blowouts After relatively close first half)

I know he had big rep as recruiter, but I’d rather go a diff direction. Watching the trainwreck, it sure looked a joyless, toxic situation from afar. Not sure what he adds that a zillion good recruiters couldn’t.

Reaction Score
Had some talent, but had no idea what to do with it. Game management is awful and ongoing discipline problems with the Mitchell twins. What’s not to like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom