URI Fires David Cox | The Boneyard

URI Fires David Cox

Reaction Score
Feels like a logical replacement for Kimani if he leaves.

Reaction Score
I'm curious if URI will keep it in the Hurley tree and hire Kimani or intentionally go elsewhere as Cox didn't work out.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm curious if URI will keep it in the Hurley tree and hire Kimani or intentionally go elsewhere as Cox didn't work out.

I think Hurley goes way bigger is Kimani leaves this year.

I think both teams could go bigger

For URI maybe a bigger name coach than those mentioned, with some precious Rhode Island (the state) ties

Giving a head coaching job to an assistant to keep the recruiting class together very rarely works out in the long term.

Did that class even work out?

(Answer no)

Most importantly (before anyone asks) there doesn’t appear to be anyone worth poaching off URI with a cox hire anyway.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That program is in trouble. Hurley did a great job digging them out of a hole and they're very quickly back in that same hole again. This time with Hurley recruiting against them and Cooley in a much better spot at PC.
Hurley isn't recruiting against them. He's recruiting against what they can't even dream about one day becoming.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Has to be the front runner to replace Kimani if he leaves.

Reaction Score
Has to be the front runner to replace Kimani if he leaves.

This is a rather substantial leap. Failed A10 HC, former AHC with no high-major recruiting experience... c'mon now.

I have no reason not to trust Hurley if he DOES hire him, but I can't imagine we wouldn't at minimum be making calls to guys like Webster and some other well-known assistants at the lower-tier P5 programs.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This is a rather substantial leap. Failed A10 HC, former AHC with no high-major recruiting experience... c'mon now.

I have no reason not to trust Hurley if he DOES hire him, but I can't imagine we wouldn't at minimum be making calls to guys like Webster and some other well-known assistants at the lower-tier P5 programs.
You know how Danny feels about relationships.

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether or not Cox replaces Kimani when he does get a HC gig be it this year or next, I trust Hurley as he has had a superb track record with the guys he has brought here (a lot of that driven by the relationships he has built throughout his career). If he thinks a reunion with Cox is the way to go, great, if not that's fine too.

Reaction Score
You know how Danny feels about relationships.

He has a relationship with his wife too. Should she be our operations manager now?

We can likely shoot higher than David Cox. We have with every assistant higher outsife of Freeman... who was quickly replaced.

Hurley is hiring whoever elevates our recruiting and on court performance the most, relationships are a secondary factor. What relationship did he have with Kimani before he got here? Not much.

Reaction Score

Cox was an assistant at Pitt, Georgetown, and Rutgers before URI. Doesn't that qualify as high-major recruiting experience?

Reaction Score
Hurley isn't recruiting against them. He's recruiting against what they can't even dream about one day becoming.
He recruited Tyrese Martin to go to URI. He's pretty good for us, right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Starting to hear rumors that Cooley may consider going to URI. Sure, he leaves the Big East, but that’s offset by being at a state institution instead of a small private college…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom