URI beating UMass 21-9 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

URI beating UMass 21-9

Reaction Score
UConn, top to bottom, has a better roster than any CAA team. We just have trash coaches.
I agree that UConn has a better roster, but most of the best players are young. A school like URI has decided to take advantage of the transfer portal and they have gotten some talented players including their starting QB. Edsall decided to go the develop his own players route and it has delayed the turnaround. What’s odd is URI can bring in a former 4* P5 starting QB and UConn can’t. That is an indictment of the coaches.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What’s odd is URI can bring in a former 4* P5 starting QB and UConn can’t. That is an indictment of the coaches.
I don't think it's that UConn can't get a former 4* P5 QB, it's that Edsall refused to look at one. As you said, it's a clear reflection of why Edsall and everyone else needs/needed to go.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't think it's that UConn can't get a former 4* P5 QB, it's that Edsall refused to look at one. As you said, it's a clear reflection of why Edsall and everyone else needs/needed to go.
I think Edsall tried several times to upgrade the QB situation via the portal- but his staff just couldn’t close the deal. Perhaps the poor offensive scheming we have seen sans the Mazzone games is a big clue as to why they couldn’t close the deal. A kid that has been in one college system is a lot smarter the second time around when listening to coaches talk Xs and Os. Our staff couldn’t sell anyone the salad bowl offense.

I think we have a better roster than any school but BC in New England… it’s the coaching that is the issue and the lack of depth at positions like QB, Center, CB and S…

If this roster ran Mazzone’s scheme from day one we’d be talking about a very different season. We’d probably be talking more about our thin secondary with safeties that are too light.

Reaction Score
And as soon as they get good they leave.
From 2016 to 2020, 5 drafts, UConn had a total of 3 players drafted. Contrast that with the 5 drafts from 2009 to 2013 in which 16 players were drafted by the NFL. There wasn't much talent on the roster when Edsall 2.0 showed up. Yes, UConn did lose a couple of players that could be contributors, but, like it or not, Edsall was clearing up scholarship spots to bring in more recruits, the freshmen and sophomores that are now on the roster.

Just to caution everyone, there are only ~10 players that will have used up their eligibility this year which is one reason why this year's recruiting class was going to be relatively small. The new coach will probably want to bring in players so we could see some roster churn this year. This is the same issue that Edsall faced.

Reaction Score
I think Edsall tried several times to upgrade the QB situation via the portal- but his staff just couldn’t close the deal. Perhaps the poor offensive scheming we have seen sans the Mazzone games is a big clue as to why they couldn’t close the deal. A kid that has been in one college system is a lot smarter the second time around when listening to coaches talk Xs and Os. Our staff couldn’t sell anyone the salad bowl offense.

I think we have a better roster than any school but BC in New England… it’s the coaching that is the issue and the lack of depth at positions like QB, Center, CB and S…

If this roster ran Mazzone’s scheme from day one we’d be talking about a very different season. We’d probably be talking more about our thin secondary with safeties that are too light.

Honestly. Wortham + Cross have done better than I would have thought; after Lucien + Bell have not been able to show. I like that group. The safeties? meh. I think in spots we have seen newby guys in their first year play well.

I saw URI beat UAlbany earlier: that guy Hill is a really stud QB and LARGE. He would be somebody to build around. Maryland could use him today. Plus they used their second QB effectively. They are a solid football program under Fleming; and they weren't a decade ago. My view of CAA as I have looked at them more closely this last year (including UAlbany beating UNH yesterday): a really solid group of competitive programs ... with James Madison a head above in talent & structure. There's not a lot of gap between JMU and Tulsa/Tulane/USF; and they are gonna be solid with 85 scholarships.

Reaction Score
From 2016 to 2020, 5 drafts, UConn had a total of 3 players drafted. Contrast that with the 5 drafts from 2009 to 2013 in which 16 players were drafted by the NFL. There wasn't much talent on the roster when Edsall 2.0 showed up. Yes, UConn did lose a couple of players that could be contributors, but, like it or not, Edsall was clearing up scholarship spots to bring in more recruits, the freshmen and sophomores that are now on the roster.

Just to caution everyone, there are only ~10 players that will have used up their eligibility this year which is one reason why this year's recruiting class was going to be relatively small. The new coach will probably want to bring in players so we could see some roster churn this year. This is the same issue that Edsall faced.

I know this take will bring out the whines: EDSALL is exactly what we think he is. He can really evaluate modern day young HS talent. He brought good solid kids the last few years; and my view - with his bigger staff - he was deeper in numbers. I thought in the 2004-2009 period he grabbed some reaches late in the day - Feb signing date closing.

As for all the other components of the job ...

Reaction Score

Having a better roster than all but BC could be true. That’s like being the Paris of the Middle East.

But it doesn’t mean that we don’t have a Patriot League level roster. We struggled to beat Yale. Got smashed to pieces by Holy Cross.

UConn today wouldn’t finish above .500 in the CAA.

Reaction Score
Well they tried the young P5 offensive coordinator from FSU with recruiting ties to DMV. Don’t really blame him. Low paying job with almost no support and nowhere near the facilities of UConn.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Bell out as UMass coach. UMass fires Bell as coach after 2 wins in 3 years

From The Athletic - "This is probably the most difficult FBS job."

"The Athletic recently polled more than 60 people in college football about the most difficult job, and UMass got 11 first-place votes, more than any other program. It was behind only UConn in total points, but UConn has at least had some FBS success and has more money. (It also has a head-coaching opening and a head start.)"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
there are articles that they had their best roster in years - in the Spring.

A third year coach with players against our Interim (who didn't make the field for the game in Amherst) ... and both young; but, they should have been further along in the development process. I understand the dynamics. But I probably should look at their schedule closer. I think Benedict has done a better job scheduling for out future. Except WE should never fly to Hot Fresno for their first game - that is just trouble. Particularly with a year off like 2020.

Reaction Score
Fleming is a good coach. Never understood why he took path he did after making Sacred Heart a winner

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I worked with Jim Fleming in Commercial Real Estate in Stamford the summer of 1984. He's from an old money family in Greenwich. Coached in the SEC. Probably wants to keep an upward trajectory CAA > NEC

Reaction Score
I meant path AFTER sacred heart and BEFORE Rhody. His wife’s a rhody, so I get current gig; but going from HC to DB coach was odd. It took him a decade to get another HC gig.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom