URI and Hurricane Florence | Page 3 | The Boneyard

URI and Hurricane Florence

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm sitting on my porch in order to get mobile as power is out and signals are weak.

We're in hour 20 of an estimated 54 straight hours of rain that should total 4-5". And this isn't even Florence. It's leftover Gordon, which I believe is also headed your way in beginning of week

I never expected to be affected by hurricanes when I moved here.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
At this point, we could use a PPD to change our scheme/personnel. We're going to get absolutely crushed by the Fruit in week 4 either way.

Reaction Score
I'm sitting on my porch in order to get mobile as power is out and signals are weak.

We're in hour 20 of an estimated 54 straight hours of rain that should total 4-5". And this isn't even Florence. It's leftover Gordon, which I believe is also headed your way in beginning of week

I never expected to be affected by hurricanes when I moved here.

Reaction Score
I hear you! We got over 16" of rain here in upstate NY in July and August. Some significant flooding. I was hoping it was over. Guess not.:(

I didn't realize this latest wave was a remnant. If we get another 5", the major rivers here could rise really high as the ground is saturated. If we get that and another 3-5 in a week, could be a major problem.

Reaction Score
I hear you! We got over 16" of rain here in upstate NY in July and August. Some significant flooding. I was hoping it was over. Guess not.:(

I didn't realize this latest wave was a remnant. If we get another 5", the major rivers here could rise really high as the ground is saturated. If we get that and another 3-5 in a week, could be a major problem.

I have seen a forecast or two that has Florence hitting the Wilmington NC area as a Category 4 Hurricane and then parks over the Chesapeake Bay dropped between 30" and 40" of rain in a 4 day period. That would be an epic disaster :(

Reaction Score
:(I have seen a forecast or two that has Florence hitting the Wilmington NC area as a Category 4 Hurricane...
News reports indicate rip tides along the Carolinas' coastline are already strong. From 12 pm today on, UNC Wilmington cancelled classes until further notice and initiated a voluntary student evacuation. Not that UNC by the Sea students are known to require formal permission, but a day+ may be quite social before the weather potentially gets hairier late Wednesday or as currently forecast for Thursday or even Friday.

A tad bit to the west, power outages, wind damage, and very heavy rain occurred as Typhoon Mangkhut (Pacific hurricane) generally skirted the US territory Guam, the US commonwealth Marianas Islands, and their respective US military bases. Aside from worst hit Rota and Guam, the other islands apparently lucked out a little as Manghkut avoided direct landfall and prior 100+ mph winds decreased to only 80+.

Reaction Score
News reports indicate rip tides along the Carolinas' coastline are already strong. From 12 pm today on, UNC Wilmington cancelled classes until further notice and initiated a voluntary student evacuation. Not that UNC by the Sea students are known to require formal permission, but a day+ may be quite social before the weather potentially gets hairier late Wednesday or as currently forecast for Thursday or even Friday.

A tad bit to the west, power outages, wind damage, and very heavy rain occurred as Typhoon Mangkhut (Pacific hurricane) generally skirted the US territory Guam, the US commonwealth Marianas Islands, and their respective US military bases. Aside from worst hit Rota and Guam, the other islands apparently lucked out a little as Manghkut avoided direct landfall and prior 100+ mph winds decreased to only 80+.

I saw that East Carolina is shutting down at Noon on Tuesday through the rest of the week while Coastal Carolina (SC) has begun voluntary evacuations, too. Took a quick look at V Tech and they even have a link for updates. The forecast is for 12" to 24" inches of rain all in the Piedmont and Appalachians all the way from the Ashville NC region up through West Virginia. This could be one heck of a mess.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A navy frigate just put in at the warfs at Fort Trumball, New
London.
Post a picture if you can? That would be cool to see.

Reaction Score
Post a picture if you can? That would be cool to see.
EP-160909757.jpg&Maxw=960&q=75

USS Truxtun Giuded Missle Destroyer not a Frigate

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
EP-160909757.jpg&Maxw=960&q=75

USS Truxton Giuded Missle Destroyer not a Frigate
Nice! Looks to be a Arleigh Burke class destroyer. Those are the destroyers with huge electrical capacity so that they could have laser/energy weapons on them.

Reaction Score
Nice! Looks to be a Arleigh Burke class destroyer. Those are the destroyers with huge electrical capacity so that they could have laser/energy weapons on them.
That's what it is. Seems we have a lot of these guys.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Yes, because to fight laser cats you need your own lasers of course.

300x0w.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, because to fight laser cats you need your own lasers of course.
300x0w.jpg
For the record that looks like a hypno-cat in the lower right.

Reaction Score
We should be in the clear for Saturday > interest in Florence moves to other so named death storm thread:;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek