Updates on incoming recruits from the Register | The Boneyard

Updates on incoming recruits from the Register

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know if he will win, but Davis will compete for QB on day 1. The kid has a solid arm with good touch, puts his receivers in a position to make plays, is comfortable in the pocket and often appears to be one of the fastest players on the field.

ahh, this is starting already. terrific. SMH.

Reaction Score
Great tape from all the guys. Looking like an impressive class.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
ahh, this is starting already. terrific. SMH.

Why are you SMH?? Who us the clear QB next year? Next year is wide open and I think he has a chance, that is all.

Reaction Score
15 class is mundane; they hail from mostly states in easy driving distance of storz

most of class had no p5 interest

approach to recruiting appears to hide from big boys and hope for gets

a real approach would be to go right at big boys; assess talent that almost got big boy offers but did not (scan al, tx, ga, la, tn, fl, ca, mi, oh, va)

these types could be husky centerpieces which their ego would enjoy and they would have shoulder chip b/c of big boy rejection so you know they wish to go big boy hunting on sat.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
someone needs to claim the credit as the original poster of "the backup QB is the best on the roster"...

Reaction Score
chapwilvaug72 said:
15 class is mundane; they hail from mostly states in easy driving distance of storz most of class had no p5 interest approach to recruiting appears to hide from big boys and hope for gets a real approach would be to go right at big boys; assess talent that almost got big boy offers but did not (scan al, tx, ga, la, tn, fl, ca, mi, oh, va) these types could be husky centerpieces which their ego would enjoy and they would have shoulder chip b/c of big boy rejection so you know they wish to go big boy hunting on sat.
Hi Dan

Reaction Score
15 class is mundane; they hail from mostly states in easy driving distance of storz

a real approach would be to go right at big boys; assess talent that almost got big boy offers but did not (scan al, tx, ga, la, tn, fl, ca, mi, oh, va)

these types could be husky centerpieces which their ego would enjoy and they would have shoulder chip b/c of big boy rejection so you know they wish to go big boy hunting on sat.
chippie, go back to the thunder chicken board where you belong. Your posts are farcical.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Approach could be - chapwilvaug shut mouth and run away.

Reaction Score
First 6 catches Frank Battle makes are on under thrown balls. Wonder what #s he would put up if he had a qb with a strong arm.

Reaction Score
First 6 catches Frank Battle makes are on under thrown balls. Wonder what #s he would put up if he had a qb with a strong arm.

Granted he has a size advantage on most of the DB's, he has shown the ability to go up and make the catch in traffic. There was one badly thrown ball as well that he changed direction on and made the catch around his ankles. Got to love the size of the WR's in this class. Should be able to stretch the field in the coming years and there should be a noticeable size advantage on the outside.

Reaction Score

So having a P5 makes you a better player than not having a P5 offer? Makes sense seeing as so many P5 players pan out.

Jamarcus Russell was the #1 overall pick in the 2007 NFL draft and he played at LSU. Dan Orlovsky was drafted in the 5th round of the 2005 draft. Who is still in the league today? That's right not Russell, but Orlovsky is.

Edsall never went after the "big boys" as you called it and he consistently won with pretty much no recruit higher than a 2 star. You recruit to fit your system, you don't recruit so you look good on paper cuz that works so well for Texas and USC every year.

Reaction Score
Do we have any OL lineman commits? Doesn't look that way that makes me nervous

I say relax. It's only October and Diaco has until February if I remember correctly. I'm sure he'll have a few OL commits by signing day.

Reaction Score
DoctorWho85 said:
So having a P5 makes you a better player than not having a P5 offer? Makes sense seeing as so many P5 players pan out. Jamarcus Russell was the #1 overall pick in the 2007 NFL draft and he played at LSU. Dan Orlovsky was drafted in the 5th round of the 2005 draft. Who is still in the league today? That's right not Russell, but Orlovsky is. Edsall never went after the "big boys" as you called it and he consistently won with pretty much no recruit higher than a 2 star. You recruit to fit your system, you don't recruit so you look good on paper cuz that works so well for Texas and USC every year.

You aren't seriously debating a pretend poster are you?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Development between signing ones name along the line which is dotted and stepping onto the game field is infinitely more important than the offers a player turns down.

Reaction Score
Offensive Lineman is what is needed...Period. Even if we recruited four star wide receivers and a four star QB, unless we can protect the QB long enough for him to get rid of the ball to an open receiver, we are going Nowhere! We need talented Offensive Lineman who can play the position year one and not wait for them to adjust by year three. And we need each OL to be back-filled 2-3 deep. you get this, you can make an 2 star QB look like a 3 or 4 star. Don't do this and you make a four star look like a bust or worse you send him into the meat grinder and he gets three concussions and has to quit. So draft the big men but draft them with talent for the position. It will be nice when we can worry about losing games because of a kicker but not because of our entire offense. Right now, maybe I am in the minority but I don't worry about losing games, I worry about how badly we are going to lose or losing to a team that we should own especially if we want to claim to have P5 aspirations.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Offensive Lineman is what is needed...Period. Even if we drafted four star wide receivers and a four star QB, unless we can protect the QB long enough for him to get rid of the ball to an open receiver, we are going Nowhere!
At this rate we should have a top 5 pick...

Reaction Score
Linemen will be present in this year's class. We have 16 so far, but we'll probably bring in another 4-5, which will include some oline guys. even among the current crop, the kid from West Chester, Murphy, plays both ways and is a pretty good o-lineman, too, so might be able to play somewhere there depending on needs. I don't recall how big he is so don't know for sure if he can do it. Also we have a back up tight end who will play tackle next year presumably.

Reaction Score
I say relax. It's only October and Diaco has until February if I remember correctly. I'm sure he'll have a few OL commits by signing day.

If there is one position that you can afford to wait for late bloomers it's the offensive line. Many kids hit a growth spurt between junior and senior year. Edsall did a good job of grabbing kids that were under-recruited as juniors and then broke out as seniors. Occasionally Penn State and a few others would come in late and steal our late bloomers but for the most part the P5 rosters are already full by the time we start grabbing our late bloomers. Last year we got 4 offensive linemen in January I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to be our approach going forward with Oline recruiting. Wait for Senior tape.

Reaction Score
Need to revisit Shirreffs' tape. Davis is him, couple years younger and and 20 lbs lighter. Shirreffs is Taysom Hill(ish), that where were going. 6-3 230 to 235 lbs with someone that knows how to run. Having big kids all over the place catching the ball. The Oline will be more fit next year. The OTs did not grow up playing football, expect their techniques to improve. It going to be a very different looking team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Totally agree with LRock. I'd also say that offensive linemen can be developed, probably more so than most other positions. I know we have a few playing this year, but ideally you want to find guys with the right build and get them into the weight room, adding weight and strength and agility and not seeing the field for at least a year. Edsall, Tom O'Brien, and a few others made a living doing this and producing some pretty solid o-lines.

Reaction Score
You say we can get late developing kids for the O-Line but how has that worked out? Perhaps under Randy it did, but lately I don't see it and worse if we are bragging about our talented "recruits" coming in and playing QB with the necessary intensity and having targets that know how to catch a pass, well it wont do any good without blocking their defense from slamming the QB into the ground. Right now the best players we need are the players that can give time for the play to develop. The issue we have had this year is panic from our offense because the O-line can not protect or create a crease for the running backs. And when I say can not I don't imply ever I mean with an expected level of consistency. The biggest flaw with this team is not knowing the game - the basic fundamentals and executing to those standards. This is why coach is constantly trying to make the play calling more simple each week. So when we talk about development and the players getting better, look at our offensive schemes and packages and ask yourselves if the game plans themselves are moving in the right direction. It appears the Huskies keep moving the bar lower in hopes to get ahead of this curve, trying to different personal as though the team was playing a scrimmage. Control the line of scrimmage and you control the game, hope that players will develop in year 3, does not appear to be a winning formula- JMO! Now if UConn had a functioning O-Line then the Huskies could count on our 2nd or 3rd teams to develop over a 2-3 year period that would be one thing, but we don't have that current luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom