Updates on incoming recruits from the Register | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updates on incoming recruits from the Register

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You say we can get late developing kids for the O-Line but how has that worked out? Perhaps under Randy it did, but lately I don't see it and worse if we are bragging about our talented "recruits" coming in and playing QB with the necessary intensity and having targets that know how to catch a pass, well it wont do any good without blocking their defense from slamming the QB into the ground. Right now the best players we need are the players that can give time for the play to develop. The issue we have had this year is panic from our offense because the O-line can not protect or create a crease for the running backs. And when I say can not I don't imply ever I mean with an expected level of consistency. The biggest flaw with this team is not knowing the game - the basic fundamentals and executing to those standards. This is why coach is constantly trying to make the play calling more simple each week. So when we talk about development and the players getting better, look at our offensive schemes and packages and ask yourselves if the game plans themselves are moving in the right direction. It appears the Huskies keep moving the bar lower in hopes to get ahead of this curve, trying to different personal as though the team was playing a scrimmage. Control the line of scrimmage and you control the game, hope that players will develop in year 3, does not appear to be a winning formula- JMO! Now if UConn had a functioning O-Line then the Huskies could count on our 2nd or 3rd teams to develop over a 2-3 year period that would be one thing, but we don't have that current luxury.
Stray dog,
Here's the thing. Pasqualoni and he who shall not be named recruited "prototype" kids. they tended to be bigger and supposedly more ready to step in, though in fact it seems they weren't. If you look at the olinemen they brought in, they tended to be much heavier, 280, 290 as opposed to guys who were going to add weight.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Stray dog,
Here's the thing. Pasqualoni and he who shall not be named recruited "prototype" kids. they tended to be bigger and supposedly more ready to step in, though in fact it seems they weren't. If you look at the olinemen they brought in, they tended to be much heavier, 280, 290 as opposed to guys who were going to add weight.

Fixed. ;)

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you guys are saying, however, I question the patience of us fans with an O-Line that may not be on par with our expectations. I just think we need a couple JUCO Ofensive Lineman who could step up sooner giving the Husky recruits time to acclimate not just to the college game but to what is necessary to get to an 8-5 record with potential to upset some of the P-5 teams we may play (as in bowls). In terms of RE for the rest of the season, I have no problem mentioning his name as he contributed nicely to the memory of JH. I would prefer having good lineman than a great wide receiver at this point. The good lineman will deliver Now whereas a great wide receiver wont be able to be capitalized on.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with LRock. I'd also say that offensive linemen can be developed, probably more so than most other positions. I know we have a few playing this year, but ideally you want to find guys with the right build and get them into the weight room, adding weight and strength and agility and not seeing the field for at least a year. Edsall, Tom O'Brien, and a few others made a living doing this and producing some pretty solid o-lines.

To your point I think Chris Lee is probably one those kids. People as asking where are the O-linemen but with Lee and latest commit from New London it looks like we have two 6-7 offensive tackles with agility.

Reaction Score
I still think Hashemi will end up at OT as well. At the very least, I believe he will end up on the OL somewhere. Showed similar athleticism to Cespedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom