Updates on Gabby and Lou | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updates on Gabby and Lou

Reaction Score
Contradictions abound here @oldude ; we know it is a different team with a different style of play when KLS is in. In a sense, when she does not practice, the starting system isn't practicing. Double that for game time. Then the tension KLS and the coaches feel is understandable. The full quote and then some:

“I definitely want to start playing, but I’ve talked to the coaches and Shea [Ralph] a lot about trying to think about the longevity of this season and how I don’t want to be dealing with this for a while,” Samuelson said. “But I’m definitely ready to get out there and play in a full game.”

Auriemma said the previous injury gives him pause, especially since it’s so early in the season. But he detects frustration.

“She’s missed so many games,” Auriemma said. “After the first game, she’s yet to finish a game. So some of that plays into it. She wants to play and I want her to play. … She’s bugging me to play. A lot of times I’m inclined to let her play.”

Parents know that their children don't always know what is best for them, and at times must take the hard to do stance.
Daddy Geno, has to make sure his Medico's don't fall into the begging trap KLS may be setting. If we are lucky and a healthy Katie Lou Samuelson is with us this year and next--NC or not--KLS will provide some of the best WBB we have ever seen
Until Azura and Walker are fully assimilated into the mix, and Gabby's headaches reside, the TEAM counts on Kia and Naphees and Danger--with Katie Lou victories are more certain. Still My feeble brain thinks --which of the NEW Core 6/7 can Uconn really do without in really crunch games like the ND game???

My crystal balls all say: There will be more games like the ND game in Uconn WBB future---healthy players and prepared newbies will be needed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Much as I would love to see her play, I think the "adult in the room" move is to sit Lou against Depaul.
You may well be right. Geno suggests that Lou can wear him out to the point of him throwing in the towel. Lou is a competitor and wants to play, but everyone needs to be sure they make a good decision for the long run. The DePaul game is not a national championship game.

Reaction Score
wonder if the foot injury might have been a factor in her injuring the ankle? you know, like maybe she was favoring the foot. so now if she favors both, the knee could be next. like that old song, "the foot bone's connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone's connected to the knee bone", and so on.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was watching last year’s DePaul - UConn game earlier today to get ready for tomorrow’s game, and low and behold, during that game last year, Lou turned her ankle. It wasn’t a major injury, and I had forgotten all about it, but clearly this is a problem Lou has had in the past and, unfortunately, it’s probably a problem she will have in the future.

Reaction Score
I was watching last year’s DePaul - UConn game earlier today to get ready for tomorrow’s game, and low and behold, during that game last year, Lou turned her ankle. It wasn’t a major injury, and I had forgotten all about it, but clearly this is a problem Lou has had in the past and, unfortunately, it’s probably a problem she will have in the future.
I watched that game replay too. Lou turned her LEFT ankle (the foot she seems to have more trouble with), mid way through the 3rd quarter...ironically it was on an Offensive Rebound that she put back up and in... (and Geno says she never gets O rebounds). One poster previously noted Lou seems to get hurt when she gets O Rebounds....strange! But, as you say, the injury was pretty minor...she played for another minute or more after the injury with no noticeable limp or favoring of the foot/ankle and came out at the next time out. She sat out for a short time after having her ankle tape checked (redone??), but (a) UCONN was up by 30ish points at the time, and (b) she returned to the court later in the game. Clearly she has dealt with ankle issues for some time...but she has learned to deal with them, takes precautions (tape), and seems to handle the issue. The ankle twist vs ND did not appear "minor" at first, but after she got some attention, there was no significant limp or favoring of the foot/ankle...I mean, she RAN from the tunnel to the bench with no limp or favoring of the ankle. I am confident she has gotten appropriate treatment from the UCONN medical staff and if she should not play, the Medical Staff will make that known to Geno and he will make an "informed decision"... cause after all, he's the final call. Either way, we gotta love Lou's passion to play and do everything she can for the Team. As Kia said in ND Post Game interview... "when she's not in the game, she's as in to the game as anyone on the Team." (or something like that)...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I watched that game replay too. Lou turned her LEFT ankle (the foot she seems to have more trouble with), mid way through the 3rd quarter...ironically it was on an Offensive Rebound that she put back up and in... (and Geno says she never gets O rebounds). One poster previously noted Lou seems to get hurt when she gets O Rebounds....strange! But, as you say, the injury was pretty minor...she played for another minute or more after the injury with no noticeable limp or favoring of the foot/ankle and came out at the next time out. She sat out for a short time after having her ankle tape checked (redone??), but (a) UCONN was up by 30ish points at the time, and (b) she returned to the court later in the game. Clearly she has dealt with ankle issues for some time...but she has learned to deal with them, takes precautions (tape), and seems to handle the issue. The ankle twist vs ND did not appear "minor" at first, but after she got some attention, there was no significant limp or favoring of the foot/ankle...I mean, she RAN from the tunnel to the bench with no limp or favoring of the ankle. I am confident she has gotten appropriate treatment from the UCONN medical staff and if she should not play, the Medical Staff will make that known to Geno and he will make an "informed decision"... cause after all, he's the final call. Either way, we gotta love Lou's passion to play and do everything she can for the Team. As Kia said in ND Post Game interview... "when she's not in the game, she's as in to the game as anyone on the Team." (or something like that)...
I used to play a lot of basketball growing up. I also have 2nd degree flat feet. I sprained my ankles all the time. It does net to be annoying.

Reaction Score
And from personal experience, each twisted ankle loosens up the connective tissue making the ankle more vulnerable to the next sprain. Unfortunately, for me at least, it was cumulative over time. Had to take to wearing high top cleats when I played softball in my 30's to stabilize the ankles. Not fashionable, but effective. Made me look as slow as I actually was.;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And from personal experience, each twisted ankle loosens up the connective tissue making the ankle more vulnerable to the next sprain. Unfortunately, for me at least, it was cumulative over time. Had to take to wearing high top cleats when I played softball in my 30's to stabilize the ankles. Not fashionable, but effective. Made me look as slow as I actually was.;)
I was always as slow as molasses, but I wore white shoes, which made me look fast, until I had to run....:(

Reaction Score
wonder if the foot injury might have been a factor in her injuring the ankle? you know, like maybe she was favoring the foot. so now if she favors both, the knee could be next. like that old song, "the foot bone's connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone's connected to the knee bone", and so on.

Welcome back bootonbomber- - -I missed your posts!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom