Updated Tea Leaves | The Boneyard

Updated Tea Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
5 scholarships for 2017 + 2018 only increase with a transfer or early draft entry of an existing player. We now have 2 of those scholarships spoken for and have a whole lot of 2017 and 2018 talent in queue. My view is that the core of a future top 25 team is in place and the next talent needs to be targeting the 5* type difference makers it takes to compete for championships. What do you think?

For me Scolly #1 should be for a 2017 top rated Big Guard/SF or else hold open for 2018:
Adams, Gilbert, MAL, and Vital is solid 2017 backcourt depth. 5* talent at big guard/SF Diallo or Harvey I would see as mutually exclusive, but either would add a great dimension to the team in different ways. Diallo as a likely 1 and done offers spectacular possibilities that might not foreclose a 2018 6'5 big guard like AJ Reeves. Harvey has a great skill set that had him as a top 10 recruit last year, but now probably stays more than 1 year which is good talent to have. If neither of these players commit I would hold the scholly for 2018. I find it hard to believe that Beatty or Scruggs would see themselves as one of 5 quality guards, or that they are big enough to play small forward in 3 guard sets like Diallo or Harvey. Obviously, if either wanted to come they are good enough to take, but Ollie would be closing the door on the 2018 guards.

Scolly #2 a Top Rated Big:
Either of 5* Bamba or Richards to play center would be the dream. I personally like the stretch 4 possibilities with Tyler Polley as well, and consider Kris Wilkes and Rayshaun Hammonds would be used the same way with some SF. I would see Polley, Wilkes, and Hammond as mutually exclusive. However, with the Carlton commitment, I'd pass on the other 2017 project bigs and hold the scolly for a 2018 Moses Brown or other top talent.

Scolly #3 I would hold open for 2018 unless we could get both a Bamba and one of the SF/Stretch 4's.

FYI: Carlton's potential is a mystery to me based on the clips I have seen, but recent offers suggests that his stock has been rising, and, he has a full year to improve physically and basketball wise. The player that steps on campus may be much more than what is there now. The staff obviously sees potential, but it also suggests they have hedged not being successful with top targets.

Other thoughts?

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Right on Ricker. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this class plays out and into 2018. Probably looking at 2-4 scholarships for 2018 with a really good class and some guys we're already building relationships with (Ayala, Reeves, Khavon Moore, Moses Brown, etc). Very excited to see KO build the roster - especially now that he's more established, is on staff with USA Basketball, and has had time to lay the groundwork for these upcoming classes. Not to mention we get to see if Killings can fulfill his recruiting ace reputation.

It's still far off, but I think 2018 will be even better than our 2016 class (albeit not as big)

Reaction Score
Whoops - Afterthought - With low discussion about them, I forgot Petty that would be as excellent as Diallo or Harvey as the 2/3, and Cody Riley at the 4 as an alternative with Polley/Wilkes/Hammonds. In the top 5 with both so they are legitimate possibilities despite no buzz with us that is being discussed. Clearly talents we should embrace in a second.

Reaction Score
Another great post Ricker. I wish there was a way I could get the site to just auto-like all your posts for me it would save me some time.
Agree with your assessment.
1) Scorer/wing (in order of want): Diallo, Wilkes, Harvey, Beatty
2) Center: Richards, Bamba, Sidibe, Uyaelunmo
3) Leave open for flexibility in 2018, or if some miracle drops in your lap at the last minute.

Reaction Score
Another great post Ricker. I wish there was a way I could get the site to just auto-like all your posts for me it would save me some time.
Agree with your assessment.
1) Scorer/wing (in order of want): Diallo, Wilkes, Harvey, Beatty
2) Center: Richards, Bamba, Sidibe, Uyaelunmo
3) Leave open for flexibility in 2018, or if some miracle drops in your lap at the last minute.

Agree with this, except i'd rather have Bamba than Richards.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Agree with this, except i'd rather have Bamba than Richards.
Well there's a 95% chance we get niether, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

2 of Diallo/Harvey and Hammonds/Polley would make me happy. It seems pretty likely were done at C for 2017.

Reaction Score
Well there's a 95% chance we get niether, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

2 of Diallo/Harvey and Hammonds/Polley would make me happy. It seems pretty likely were done at C for 2017.

You think so? Seems like we're still going to make a push for a high level big. Cautiously optimistic on landing diallo.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
You think so? Seems like we're still going to make a push for a high level big. Cautiously optimistic on landing diallo.
Yeah to be clear it's just what I personally think, no inside info. I don't see us getting another big unless it was Bamba, and I really just see no actual evidence to get remotely hopeful with him.

Reaction Score
Yeah to be clear it's just what I personally think, no inside info. I don't see us getting another big unless it was Bamba, and I really just see no actual evidence to get remotely hopeful with him.

I don't particularly see anything or have heard anything either. But in analyzing the situation, Duke's frontcourt is super crowded, more so than UK's, just a question of how many guys from each program go pro. Giles seems like a lock. Not sold on Bolden or adebayo but given the fact that Skal made it last year, they could both conceivably go without being too productive. My guess is Wendell Carter is Duke bound. We'll see how many other bigs either school gets, but the path to extensive burn is clearest with us. My wishful thinking anyway. I'm not getting my hopes up, but we have a fighting chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom