Updated Scouting Report for Xavier | The Boneyard

Updated Scouting Report for Xavier

Reaction Score
Here's an updated scouting report. In my offense and defense sections, all updates are in bold. Thanks, as always, to Ken Pomeroy.

Xavier 16-7, 6-6 in Big East Play, #27 in KenPom

Schedule

• After an 11-1 start to the season, 5-6 in their last 11 games, 2-4 in their last six.
  • Four of their six losses were by deficits of 4 or less, including their last three losses (to Providence, DePaul and Seton Hall)

Roster Report:
  • Balanced roster with a eight-man rotation, with all players averaging between 18-32 mpg
  • 19th tallest team in the nation.
  • Their starting lineup is Scruggs-Johnson-Jones-Freemantle-Nunge, a lineup they play 34% of the last five games.

1644492022123.png

Offense (27th efficiency on KenPom). Now 39th.
  • The below four metrics have stayed about the same
    • Four players average between 10-13 mpg (Johnson, Nunge, Jones, Scruggs).
    • They push the tempo (41st fastest offensive tempo). Still the same.
    • 35th nationally in FTA/FGA rate with Nunge, Jones and Scruggs leading the team in FTAs.
    • Good offensive rebounding team (63rd best rate nationally). Ranking now about the same.
  • OK three-point shooting team (34%, 143rd in nation) and they take a medium/high proportion of three point shots (132nd in nation). Still shooting about the same clip, but their ratio of 3PAs has gone down quite a bit (now 192nd)
  • OK at preventing turnovers (88th in turnover ratio)
  • Not a great offensive rebounding team (140th)
Defense (34th in efficiency on KenPom). Now 44th
  • 9th in nation in preventing teams from getting to the line. Rank now about the same.
  • 18th ranked opponent 2p% (43.2%). That’s now gone up to 53rd.
  • 27th in defensive rebounding rate. That’s now gone up to 56th
  • 44th in block rate (Nunge 1.5b/game). That’s now about the same.
  • 63rd in steal rate (Scruggs, Jones, Odom all average 1.5 steals/game). Now up to 92nd
  • 85th in opponent 3p% (30.8%). Gotten a little better to 77th
  • In summary, out of these above metrics, defense has gotten softer due to 2p% and rebounding metrics becoming more pedestrian. Does Freemantle’s return have something to do with that?
With this being the first Friday night game of the season, I'll have a nice red wine buzz going. LGR Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
They list Ajax as well as Sanogo as seniors.

This is not high level analysis.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So it seems like we need to let Freemantle shoot from outside. Any bets on whether we will? I like that they play fast, that bodes well for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
So it seems like we need to let Freemantle shoot from outside. Any bets on whether we will? I like that they play fast, that bodes well for the Huskies.

if they let freemantle shoot he will probably go 7 for 7 from deep. He is better than an 18% shooter for sure

Reaction Score
if they let freemantle shoot he will probably go 7 for 7 from deep. He is better than an 18% shooter for sure
The dude has all the makings of a Husky killer. Had 30 points and 15 rebounds against us last year, though he only shot 2 of 7 from 3.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great report. Thanks for doing these. And my neighborhood has the mojo covered.
This was moments ago.
View attachment 73209
You know that lead Huskies thinking “I’m bored. I wonder if I should start running so we can drag him again.”

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That has to be their excerpt for Obiagu (they just played Seton Hall the other day)
Yeah that would make sense. But they also reference Sanogo as being like Obiagu later. It's like a weird freduian slip lol.

Reaction Score
Was just reading the Xavier blog Banners on the Parkway's scouting report of the Huskies. They list Sanogo at 7'2" and describe him by saying he "isn't a great scorer."

Makes me glad we have @Hey Adrien! doing our scouting!

For interested parties: Xavier v. UConn: preview, matchups, keys to the game
Man I was just on their fan forum and one guy posted:

“Pretty awesome that Xavier is in a ranked matchup against three-time national champion UConn(!). Only downside is that everyone expects Xavier to lose at home, except the oddsmakers.”

Nearly went through the effort of making an account to tell them we’ve got 4. No respect.

Reaction Score
Was just reading the Xavier blog Banners on the Parkway's scouting report of the Huskies. They list Sanogo at 7'2" and describe him by saying he "isn't a great scorer."

Makes me glad we have @Hey Adrien! doing our scouting!

For interested parties: Xavier v. UConn: preview, matchups, keys to the game
Hope he lights them up for 30 tonight!

That is pretty funny. Is it that hard to look at the stats and see he's UConn's 2nd leading scorer at 15.4 ppg? Does that mean nobody on Xavier is a great scorer? Lol

Reaction Score
14 Total PTS over his last 5 games. I’m actually kind of bummed we’ll see more Johnson who is bound to break out against us lol
I'm worried about Cesare Edwards coming from out of nowhere to burn us too. Against Seton Hall he played for the first time in two months and scored 8 points (as many as he had scored all season previously total) in 9 minutes.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Weird that they scouted Justin Brown instead of Sanogo.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Hope he lights them up for 30 tonight!

That is pretty funny. Is it that hard to look at the stats and see he's UConn's 2nd leading scorer at 15.4 ppg? Does that mean nobody on Xavier is a great scorer? Lol
Literally the best offensive big in the conference and one of the best nationally

Reaction Score
Quick injury update:

Adam Kunkel, who didn’t play last week, is playing tonight v St John’s.

However, Nate Johnson isn’t playing for Xavier today (knee).

If this is the same situation for Saturday, then Steele will be running a seven-man rotation with less-than-Samson minutes for Cesare Edwards (hasn’t played so far in St. John’s game).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom