Updated Scholarship Grid | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updated Scholarship Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So what you're saying is, fully half end up being Sam Cassell or worse. That's not a terribly strong case for these reach signings.
I mean, we really shouldn't expect anything more from scholarship player #13 than what Sam Cassell Jr. is currently giving the team.

Reaction Score
I mean, we really shouldn't expect anything more from scholarship player #13 than what Sam Cassell Jr. is currently giving the team.

For a high school recruit? Yes. Someone on the Sam Cassell level is about what we would expect from a late spring signing out of high school.

But in this era, that 13th player we pick up in the spring could be Lasan Kromah, Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Shonn Miller, or Terry Larrier.

Reaction Score
By the way, I am shocked Denham Brown was a 3-star. 111 points aside, I thought when he came in he was expected to be a stud. Could he have been excluded from recruiting rankings because he was in Canada?
Canadian players weren't as highly regarded then. If Denham was coming through now he'd be a surefire 4-star, but there was way more skepticism about them a dozen years ago.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Based on Rivals database going back to 2002...

3* players who outplayed ranking: Denham Brown, Hilton Armstrong, Craig Austrie, Gavin Edwards, Amida Brimah

3* players who provided solid bench depth: Donnell Beverly, Charles Okwandu, Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, Terrence Samuel, Sam Cassell, Jr.

3* that were not impact players and then transferred out: Marcus White, Ryan Thompson, Antonio Kellogg, Robert Garrison, Ben Eaves, Rakim Lubin, Scottie Haralson, Jonathan Mandeldove, Jamaal Trice, Michael Bradley​

I don't think there's any harm in saving scholarships #12 and #13 for 3* players. I rather do that than give walk-ons scholarships.
Don't mean to nitpick, but while Marcus White may have transferred out, he was an impact player. He played starter's minutes on the '03 team and was a good rebounder.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I like the idea of hanging on to one scholarship every year. Have one available in case a talented player is available late. If it's not used give it a walk-on with good grades and use it towards the APR. Lenahan have any little brothers?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The one-man Hamilton class left us flexible for that year, but it's going to have slight ripple effects in later years (especially if he goes pro). '17 is going to need to be another 4 or 5 player class.

After the number of guys coming in 2016, I don't see too many studs wanting to jump on board. No minutes to go around. Maybe get some decent grad transfers, but a big class would be a tough ask.

Reaction Score
After the number of guys coming in 2016, I don't see too many studs wanting to jump on board. No minutes to go around. Maybe get some decent grad transfers, but a big class would be a tough ask.
I'll be shocked if we don't have a five-player class for 2017.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Brimah was overlooked by pretty much all the recruiting services. Guy should have been a fringe top 100 player and a 4* player, similar to where Facey was ranked.

And Denham was from overseas. Those guys, at least those who aren't bonafide Lottery picks, tend to be underscouted and ranked.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'll be shocked if we don't have a five-player class for 2017.

Really? The guys coming back are almost all bonafide studs to a man. What top shelf players are going to want to come sit the bench behind those guys? I suppose we could recruit a bunch of filler players. I'm seeing it as a 3 player class (depending on transfers and pro jumps), plus a possible 5th year transfer.

Reaction Score
And Denham was from overseas. Those guys, at least those who aren't bonafide Lottery picks, tend to be underscouted and ranked.

north-america.v2.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Since you're going to be a jerk and troll tcf (of all people), I'll point out that you ended your sentence with a comma. I will note that I do not have an editorial position for you.

Think you read that wrong. He was making a lighthearted joke in good fun. Not to be condescending.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Purvis is likely not going anywhere next year. Guards at the next level need to hit their free throws. The NBA is quirky like that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Purvis is likely not going anywhere next year. Guards at the next level need to hit their free throws. The NBA is quirky like that.

Don't disagree with the analysis, but I think there's a high chance he goes and plays D-league, or follows Boat and gets experience overseas. Obviously not going to be in the NBA next year, but Age is catching up to him. And not matter how BS it is, that 'too old coming out of college to develop' thing is real.

Reaction Score
FWIW, this isn't an updated scholarship grid. James posted the correct one here: Updated Scholarship Chart

Might as well just bookmark this tweet because this thread won't remain pinned for long: Link

Reaction Score
Rodney improved that by last year end didn't he?

Reaction Score
I love the thought into the color coordination....yellow for that cautious unknown freshman, green for the greedy two and done, red for the "stop, what am I still doing here?"....and blue for the true husky

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Rodney improved that by last year end didn't he?
You responded to a thread written on January 26, 2016 and where is Purvis as we type?

Purvis did not start knocking down his FT as originally expected until March and one month (out of 3 seasons) of going 2 for 2 or 3 for 3 is a painfully small sample size. If he hits his FTs at say an 85% clip this year, he may work himself into the NBA conversation. I'm glad he was smart enough to not declare when had a fatal flaw in his game. He would have had suffered a fate worse than Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom